Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Premium Member

I have been researching these "HD" Video recorders with "Pristine" audio. that are targeted towards capturing live music performances and rehersals.ect...They are basically hybrids of the stereo audio pocket recorders made for musicians, to capture high quality audio,with built in X-Y condensor mics,but with video capabilities added.Plus I like the Ability to input audio from a mixer or ext. mike! The two contenders are the Zoom Q3HD,and the Olympus LS20m,The Olympus seems to have better reviews as far as audio settings and Low Light video quality,but it captures in .MOV format,(good for U-Tube???)..My question is if .MOV is a good "native" file for later editing,DVD making,with little loss of quality after conversion????....Also there doesn't seem to be a handy-cam or Digital Cam with the high quality audio features that these few units offer???? (In the 300.00 price range)..BTW it sounds like the "HD" video quality is barely passable as HD,but is pretty darned good???..Is there any DSLR's or Handycams with stereo audio inputs and High quality sound out there???
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-28-2011, 05:44 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

.mov is just a container. It can contain any number of actual video formats. AVCHD is likely (limited version of H.264). Small consumer cameras are generally very compressed, and lousy quality for editing. TV viewing is so-so at best, as the intended use appears to be Youtube, Vimeo and other "video sharing" type uses.

Low light needs will generally wipe out most consumer gear, period. Consumer cameras have cheap sensors.

A Nikon D7000 DSLR is an awesome camera, and you'd get 20-minute burst shooting abilities at 1080p AVCHD. The light can go incredibly low, especially if you use low-light (f/2.8 aperture) lenses. But the D7000 is about $1500 in a kit from Amazon; only $100-200 less, if you get the body only.

The Nikon ME-1 stereo mic would run about $130 from Amazon.
I think I'd rather use a higher grade mono microphone from Rode ($150 from Amazon) or Sennheiser (MKE 400 for $195 from Amazon)

Given that both channels are from a single location, "stereo" is a bit of a misnomer. Unless you rig microphones in two separate acoustically optimum places, it's not stereo. It's just two mono recordings side by side. (Trust me on this -- I've worked with some of the world's most selective audiophiles; professional musicians, well-known symphony directors, music labels, etc.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.