Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-30-2011, 05:08 PM
Free Member

Hi,

I hope some of you can help me out. I have a 13 year old son who enjoy his camera phone as you can shoot 30 second of video. He then downloads it to his computer and shoots another. He has software that helps him put it together but I haven't a clue of how he does it. He's brilliant in my eyes

For Christmas I wanted to buy him a camcorder, but with my health issues I was unable to talk with anyone about what type of camera we should buy. I don't like to speak with sales person as they are just looking to make the great sell. Add that to my ignorance, I would probably spend way to much and not buy the correct camera for his needs and skill level.

So, this is a beginner who is 13, he's responsible but has his moments. Male teenage puberty is not fun for Mommy...or is it Mom now?

Here is a link to Microcent. Being a programmer this is my Church, my Temple and where I learn divine gifts to pass on to others. Are any of these a good choice? http://www.microcenter.com/search/se...&Nso=Ascending

Price, well, I don't know. What buys a decent camera for a 13 year old? I guess (and you guys can tell me different) around 100-150 dollars. I don't want to spend a great deal of money and have him say "I don't like this". On the other hand I want a quality so it's easy to learn and use. Nothing too difficult, as he will be coming to me for instructions so it has to be user friendly.

If you havea anymore questions, please let me know. I am sorry in advanced if I did not ask the right questions or provide enough information.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I'm also very fond of Microcenter and Fry's Electronics, but those are mostly computer stores. Their selections of video and photography gear is rather pitiful, as would be expected. For this endeavor, I would highly suggest using Amazon.com or B&H Photo & Video, for both best selection and best prices. I think Amazon charges sales tax to California, but B&H certainly does not (NY).

$100-150 won't buy much. In that price range, you're looking at pocket cameras that also shoot video. For that category of camera, it's hard to go wrong with either a Canon Elph or a Sony Cybershot. The Sony takes better still, while I think I'd err on the side of the Canon for the video function. It takes great SD 640x480 video, and can also shoot HD. For under $300, you're not really going to get quality HD.

Consider these:
Moving to an actual video camera, at low cost, I'd look at this:
  • Canon FS400, $245 @ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B004HW7EGA
  • Microcenter has this same camera, but for $30 more.
  • The one warning I'd have about this camera is it shoots in non-standard resolutions. But if it's being edited, that doesn't necessarily matter, as the editor can probably scale it properly.
And if you're open to buying used equipment:
  • The Canon ZR900 DV camera is awesome: $125 to $175 range @ http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
  • I've shot a number of videos with ZR series Canon camcorders, and the low-light abilities are spectacular. DV quality is excellent. Archival, even.
  • When new, these cameras were easily $500+

As a digital video professional, the ZR900 is my no-brainer pick for quality. Kids don't necessarily care about quality as much as ease and speed, however. (Unfortunately.) So that's a variable to consider. If he's serious about video, a good DV camera is very flexible for creating semi-professional video work. If he just wants to throw something onto Youtube quickly, any old video-capable camera will work.

So how's that list look for you?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
01-16-2012, 05:24 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Ever get this figured out?
Here's another deal on a Canon camera: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/deal...html#post18920

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.