Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Free Member

Note: Continuation of conversation from elsewhere, moved to this forum...

What happen with your friend and the art institute? The one in PA has been there for 40 years. I can actually visit the campus if need be. I really want to go into Video Production -Media Animation but I don't want to be stupid about it too....

All the software /hardware is current

here is where the books etc comes from http://www.journeyed.com/schools

- The hardware has me curious let me know your thoughts on it.. I do value that brain of yours

One more question.. Monday my video editing class Adobe Premier 2.0 - Photoshop CS4
Belmont is behind with adobe products why I m kinda wanting find a better school. Any recommendations?

http://visit.artinstitutes.edu/SERCH...=pitt&rank=1t1

This question has been split from another post or thread. This was done in order to address the topic more in depth, make it easier to find via forum searches, as well as prevent the other post/thread from going too far off-topic. Please continue this part of the conversation here. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
As I'd mentioned earlier, I had several friends what went to those, and only one of them doesn't now refer to it as a scam. Everybody else either ditched before graduation because it was 10x the cost of a public university (and money ran out), or they graduated and discovered that the degree was worth less than toilet paper (and they continued on to get a B.A. or B.S. at a real college).

The entire for-profit college system is a scam that's come under fire in recent years. For example, according to a recent study publicized in several magazines (The Atlantic was one?), about 17% of what you pay goes to actual education costs, while about 25% goes to recruiting more students (suckers), and the rest goes to things like profit and CEO pay. The federal government still stupidly issues loans to these for-profit organizations, which accounts for around 13% of all tuition loans. Yet something like 50-60% of all defaults are from the for-profit colleges. There's a distinct negative trend. More than half of all students will dropout, and the only good thing about dropping out is you'll owe less than somebody who graduated. And graduates generally haven't found high paying work to pay back their loans. AI is right up there with Phoenix, Devry, and others, in terms of being a near-fraud.

Here's an interesting article for you to read: http://www.petapixel.com/2011/09/02/...billion-fraud/
It summarizes this longer article: http://www.pdnonline.com/news/The-Ar...es--3531.shtml

I consider AI to be a total waste of money. You'd do better with a 4-year degree in broadcasting from an accredited public university. You'd likely walk away knowing a ton of things I don't know. On the other hand, I usually know more than an AI grad -- and that's when I'm half asleep (or half drunk, take your pick). And that's sad, given what they've paid. Even some community colleges have decent pre-broadcasting programs in film, editing, etc. -- and I'd even consider those courses (and getting an associate degree) before looking at the AI.

I'd hate to see you in debt for no reason, grandma.

And on that note, I've emailed a close friend -- somebody I've known for 20+ years now -- to give you some insight into his experience with AI.
Look for a post by segen77.

P.S. - Click this link to subscribe to this thread. Let's make sure you read what we write.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

Here’s my two cents on the matter. I went to AI in Dallas directly out of high school not knowing what I wanted to do with my life other than wanting to get into graphic design. At the time this location was not accredited, but I had a few friends there so I figured I’d give it a go. The program I entered was supposed to be two years long. After about a year I started having many of my friends graduate and come back telling me that no one would hire them because they didn’t have the skills, portfolio, or experience. They were all told to go back to school and go to a four year university this time.

This is when I transferred to Texas State University. Transferring was the best thing I could have done. Not only did I receive top notch education from professors in the business, but the software we were using was industry standard. Overall I can’t say enough great things about it.

I will say something good about AI. It’s not a complete waste of money for some people. If you already have a degree and want to brush up on your skills, or you’re already top of the game in said industry. I did learn quite a bit at AI, and I still reference some of the information in my career today. It’s just not what I would recommend for most.

The best advice I could give you is to find people that are currently in your career field and ask them what their opinion is of AI vs other schools.
09-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Free Member

I think like any school -- it is the best of what you make of it. Having said that, you'll pay much more than you would at many other universities for the same quality of education. You have to consider how much money they spend as a company on advertising -- how often do you hear about how great of a school it is from people you know? All most people know are the commercials.

If their reputation is starting to sour, well that works against you in the future as the name comes to be associated with 'scam'.

Just as a personal note, I had two friends that pursued second degrees there and both of them felt it was nothing more than an expensive, bloated, student factory. It's like ITT Technical Institute or Apollo College.