Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

"Only thing to note is the light-up Display is dimmer than normal."

Nobody ever wants to listen, this means the unit has bad/faulty caps, so it needs to be repaired....

Good luck,

PS You will have colour shifting problems with this unit, it will change tones, and you will never get the correct color/luma channels. You need to get the faults repaired.

These faults may also cause extra noise in the picture and white drop outs in the video, it just depends.

What else about the unit, no idea, would have to inspect it.
The following users thank deter for this useful post: fnub (03-04-2012)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by deter View Post
"Only thing to note is the light-up Display is dimmer than normal." Nobody ever wants to listen, this means the unit has bad/faulty caps, so it needs to be repaired....
PS You will have colour shifting problems with this unit, it will change tones, and you will never get the correct color/luma channels. You need to get the faults repaired. These faults may also cause extra noise in the picture and white drop outs in the video, it just depends.
Correct.

We just had two units inspected, and they're undergoing repairs. It runs about $200 per deck.
Work done by Jots Electronics (Arlington, Texas); online at http://www.jotselectronics.com

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
03-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Free Member

Quote:
"Only thing to note is the light-up Display is dimmer than normal."
Nobody ever wants to listen, this means the unit has bad/faulty caps, so it needs to be repaired....
Good luck,
PS You will have colour shifting problems with this unit, it will change tones, and you will never get the correct color/luma channels. You need to get the faults repaired.
These faults may also cause extra noise in the picture and white drop outs in the video, it just depends.
What else about the unit, no idea, would have to inspect it.
So what you're saying is that I bought a deck with bad capacitors. And eventually this unit will stop working all together. GREAT!

Not sure what you mean about no one listening to you. I read and appreciated everything you had to say. And as far as the tapes I'm going to convert - how am I to know what the person is going to bring me? Plus I don't have the money (right now) to buy 3 or 4 machines. I was hoping to get a half decent deck to start out and save up to buy a better one. I thought the 1980 would've been a good choice as I've seen the deck go for $2500 and also saw it on Amazon between 1500 & 1700 used.

The guy who sold it to me worked at an audio visual store in Kingston Ontario - I assumed he knew what he was talking about. He assured me that the deck played fine etc etc. He also mentioned that if there was a problem that he'd be willing to work things out.

Today was the 1st time I've learned that the dull lights meant a damaged capacitor. Had I known this earlier, I would've never considered making this purchase.

It's tough going out there trying to buy a deck when you know very little about them.

So deter, when you talk about using broadcast decks, which one(s) do you use? Also, if you were just starting out, which deck(s) with built-in TBC would you personally recommend?

I have a feeling after learning about these faulty capacitors that I'm going to end up giving the box right back to the UPS guy and send the unit back.
03-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Free Member

the AG-1980 is a very nice deck when working good
the one i had recently worked awesome for a couple months then went B&W on me (Deter said bad caps as well)
i wouldnt buy another for more than $50-$75 unless it was either low mileage or had recently been serviced.
AG-1980's are commercial VCR's and alot of them have a million miles on them.

if the seller will take it back i would return it.
for what you paid you can get a perfect working higher-end JVC

there is alot of different broadcast decks.
im sure people here can fill you in on some of them
i know some only play in SP mode and have industrial connectors for audio

i know where i can get 4 of them for free right now - i just gotta go pick them up
1 Panasonic DS850
2 Panasonic DS840
1 JVC BR8600U
The following users thank volksjager for this useful post: fnub (03-04-2012)
03-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
1 Panasonic DS850
2 Panasonic DS840
1 JVC BR8600U
I just checked out examples of these 3 models on ebay. These are the types of decks I was originally checking out. But then I was humming & hawwing about having to buy a seperate TBC to deal with older tapes. My intention was to route the signal from the deck into a BMD Intensity Pro capture card. With the deck I have now, the card is dropping a lot of frames. I figured buying a prosumer deck would most likely get rid of these problems by spitting out a stronger signal for the card.

I would really like to know more about the decks you have available to you. I know you mentioned that they were free. But if they are good decks and playback well, feel free to sell it to me at whatever you feel would be a good price. I just want a desent deck to get me started.

Thanks in advance
03-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Free Member

you are going to need more than 1 deck once you get going.
there is no 1 magic VCR that plays every tape good.
if you are going to being doing transfers as a service you will probably need an arsenal of VCR's
a good start would be a JVC off LordSmurfs list

the broadcast decks i found may be a few weeks before i pick them up, then i will need to access their condition.
and they are big heavy clunky things that will cost a fortune to ship to Canada.
Deter said he had a some decks for sale as well in an earlier post
03-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Free Member

and you WILL need a separate TBC/Proc amp regardless of what VCR you get.

i just bought a KeyWest Big VooDoo BVTBC8 TBC on ebay for $75
well less than half of what an AVT-8710 cost and i dont have to worry about getting a bad one.
the same seller has 3 more (listed for $99 but has "make offer")
03-05-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnub View Post
So what you're saying is that I bought a deck with bad capacitors. And eventually this unit will stop working all together. GREAT!
I have a feeling after learning about these faulty capacitors that I'm going to end up giving the box right back to the UPS guy and send the unit back.
The decks are worth repairing. It just requires (1) a good shop, and (2) funds.
It's unlikely that you'll find a perfect AG-1980, given the demographics of the primary user base, combined with capacitor age.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean about no one listening to you.
I'm sure it's a general comment, not directed at any specific person. Take no offense.

The following users thank admin for this useful post: fnub (03-05-2012)
03-05-2012, 12:16 AM
Free Member

Wow... I literally just hit the 'send' button to ask the sender if he could catch the delivery before it left Ontario. Wow is this ever frustrating
03-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Never had any problems with drop frames on my end. Damaged Frames, YEA !!!

Actually depending on the TBC, it can cause problems for a video. It depends....

The speed of the tape is what is important to know, different decks perform different with the three speeds of the tapes.

SVHS = Best Results in SP mode = 400 lines
Normal VHS is only 240 lines

SP = Best Quality
LP = Causes some decks to get light tracking on the left side & also the right side of the picture.
SLP = Worst quality, lots of picture errors, tracking problems, video drop outs, possible sound problems, the entire ball of wax.

One VCR to fit all, I haven't found it yet....

Every VCR that recorded home recorded tapes, is going to record them a tad bit different. Hense why we all talk about tracking issues so much. Their is not 1 VCR to play all tapes, let alone home recorded tapes. Home recorded tapes are the worst to deal with, cause many of them were recorded on a crapy VCR and in SLP mode. To think you can get a perfect mint copy out of those is kind of crazy. It normally takes a hell of a lot of work.
Hi Deter,

So if I need a different machine for the 3 different tapes speeds, which units would I be after?

SP
LP
SLP

Which decks play the best for each mode?

Cuz if I'm going to do this the right way, I'm eventually going to need the right tools to do a good job.

Thanks in advance.
03-05-2012, 01:40 AM

SP -- JVC is almost always best on SP
LP -- JVC is usually best with LP
EP -- Panasonic is often best on SLP/EP, does fine with LP and SP (but noisier).

03-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Premium Member

What baffles me is that despite the AG-1980 being popular, yet prone to bad caps that NOBODY has come up with a repair guide for these VCRs. One shouldn't be playing "whack a mole" with capacitor replacement. There are a lot in the machine, but only some of them are in the tape's signal path. Perhaps if someone could develop a guide on which capacitors should be replaced to fix video output and leave the rest alone.

I haven't had a chance to take my machine apart (its a PITA, lotsa screws), but I suspect most of the caps that go bad are of the electrolytic variety and are hopefully NOT surface mount parts.
03-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Premium Member

The problems are always different. For example, had a unit which was fully restored, than about 1 year later, the front panel started to go dim. Than saw some of the colour shifting problems, this time, it was totally different caps which were causing the problems. It was a few in the front panel and than a few in the power supply.

Why these units goes bad, no idea...Have a few Betamax machines from the 1980ties and they don't have these problems.

Maybe I write more about the AG1980's than most, cause I needed these units. The only way I found to fix the problems was to work on them with a tech, and basically learn the machines. These units are kind of out of date and unless someone works on them a lot, they kind of don't know what makes them tick.

The caps don't cost a lot of money, it is the time and everything else involved that does. Nobody is going to spend $800 on a fully fixed up AG1980 unit when they can get them for $100 broken on EBAY. You are looking at maybe $350 at the most for these units, which basically to me means, it is not worth putting a few hundred dollars in to them, to sell for a loss or $25 profit.

Now I can get these units fixed, no problem, but now you are looking at shipping charges both ways (Around $100 to $130), my work on the machine and than what I pay my tech to go in an replace what the problems are. It can be more than just caps. On the start with everything you looking at $300, again people are not interested.

When I started looking in to AG1980 units (2 years ago), I didn't do one unit, did like 7 of them, so really got to see first hand what was causing the problems.

Now I am not claiming to be some super tech, but a little more detailed than most, so I can pick up on these errors. Than from doing like 11 of them in total, kind of know what I am looking for.

"repair guide" - It is too hard to write up. Online they do have a service techs forum, that techs go in an document problems on electronics. It helps some of the techs figure out what the issues are, however the information is general and not specific to your problems. The website has a monthly fee, found all this out when doing the repair work on the MV1 with the guy in the coffee shop. Already wrote about this, that was a bad experience I blew out the circuit board using bad advise from the tech.

Are far as SP recordings go, the Panasonic AG DS840, is the best machine I have ever seen with VHS video. Did some demo tests with this unit using a brand new VHS stock recording. Wish I could post it, gave the DVD to my tech. Used two AG1980 units and two JVC decks vs this machine on the same recording. The luma signals on the AG1980 and the two JVC decks were very close. DS840, was totally different. On this test the JVC decks out preformed the AG1980, however the DS840 smoked them both away, it was night and day, for sound and video.

Last edited by deter; 03-05-2012 at 04:00 PM.
03-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Free Member

hmm.. sounds like i need to get off my ass and make the drive to pick those up.
what kind of cable/adapter do you need for audio on the DS840's?
03-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Premium Member

The DS850 was the recording deck to the DS840, don't know much about it, but I do have a AG7355, it is missing a knob on the front panel, the playback works on the unit, but when you send a signal in from another VCR it is in Black and White. Just haven't had anytime. Wanted to look at how these machines records tapes. The AG7355 doesn't have a TBC and it will play any recorded tape. Was wondering about the DS850 if you can play LP or SLP tapes on it and if it has a TBC. The AG7355 has normal audio outputs also.

AUDIO CABLES FOR THE DS840:
Made the mistake and went to radio shack looking for these cables, it was like $60 (for 1 audio cable + the other adapters), and had to make some hybrid out of it. They didn't have the cables. (Wanted to test out the unit, only got one of these sets, to be honest, it was pain, so I took the cables back) told the guy his plan didn't work.

Around Christmas went to Best Buy, and was shopping in the Guitar section. The guy had no clue what I was talking about, he told me to look through the cables. Couldn't find anything.

Decided to go an mess around with the soundboard mixer they had in the back, on the shelves saw these cables for 87 cents. They were microphone output to RCA. This is basically what I got, it was last years cables, they are mic to rca.

EDIT JUST FOUND THEM ON BEST BUY'S WEB SITE HERE IS THE LINK:

Hosa - XRF-103 Audio Cable (These are three feet cables, you have to look around, mine are about 12 feet)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Hosa+-+X...494883&st=Hosa - XRF-103 Audio Cable&cp=1&lp=1

Last edited by deter; 03-05-2012 at 06:25 PM.
03-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
EDIT JUST FOUND THEM ON BEST BUY'S WEB SITE HERE IS THE LINK:

Hosa - XRF-103 Audio Cable (These are three feet cables, you have to look around, mine are about 12 feet)
They can be had for less at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Female-Au...1070865&sr=8-1

Note: I have dealt with the marketplace vendor listed (STSI) in the past. They are a reliable source for cables with good prices. If you want to order direct, this is their site: http://store.stsi.com/
03-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Free Member

gonna try to pick these up next Wednesday (it is a 2 hour drive)
i'll let you know about the DS850 (if it works)

i was looking at a pic of the 840 and noticed it has component outs.
is there any capture cards with component? would it have any advantage over S-video?
03-07-2012, 06:04 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
aKeyWest Big VooDoo BVTBC8 TBC on ebay for $75... and i dont have to worry about getting a bad one.
Not entirely true, I'm afraid.

We have a bad unit here. These would sometimes have random pixel noise on screen, because the video goes through an A>D>A process that isn't always transparent. It's really bad on s-video, but near-invisible on composite connections. We've considered selling it to a user that wants a low-cost TBC to simply transfer their store-bought tapes to "watching quality" DVDs (for kids, car trips, etc).

It's a rare issue, but it happens.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
03-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Free Member

ive used on 3 tapes:
a greyhound race recorded with a camera
a boxing match recorded with a vcr off HBO
and a commercial movie - (to see if it defeated macrovision)

it performed fine on all 3
i scored a BVTBC10 as well
i tried it on the same tapes but i cant see much difference between the 2

i did read about someone having trouble with the original BVTBC (not the 8 or 10)
03-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Free Member

i picked up the 850 and the 2 840's
the 850 is SP only as well. it does have TBC
it is basically identical to the 840 except is has record and edit capabilities.

they have hour meters
all the decks have about 5000 hours on the drums and 1000 hours on capstans.
i dont know if that is good or bad for these decks.

Tags
jvc, panasonic, prosumer, restoration, vhs