Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-14-2020, 04:23 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

is it possible to test bin and exe files for corruption after burning DVD? the zip I'm testing
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-14-2020, 08:16 AM
Free Member

If the drive is early in its failure cycle built-in error correction might be coming to the rescue, especially since the yellow seems to imply "caution" not "dead." The prudent thing is to take action now before it is dead.

As noted in other posts, don't toss the optical discs until you are satisfied they are of no use to you. Consider that you would not toss the last remaining video tape of an important one-time event because of a few drop outs or glitches in playback. Some files, e.g., programs, may not operate if their files contain errors, but other data like video and audio files may play OK except for a glitch at the bad data point. Play the discs before you toss to see if they perform acceptably to you.

Another program that can read/analyze HDD, SMART data, and possibly recover data is Gibson's SpinRite
https://www.grc.com/sr/whatitdoes.htm
for more details on it (but it is freeware.)
11-21-2020, 06:19 PM

would you in my situation throw the burned dvds in the trash because they are corrupted?
11-24-2020, 01:07 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
If the drive is early in its failure cycle built-in error correction might be coming to the rescue, especially since the yellow seems to imply "caution" not "dead." The prudent thing is to take action now before it is dead.

As noted in other posts, don't toss the optical discs until you are satisfied they are of no use to you. Consider that you would not toss the last remaining video tape of an important one-time event because of a few drop outs or glitches in playback. Some files, e.g., programs, may not operate if their files contain errors, but other data like video and audio files may play OK except for a glitch at the bad data point. Play the discs before you toss to see if they perform acceptably to you.

Another program that can read/analyze HDD, SMART data, and possibly recover data is Gibson's SpinRite
https://www.grc.com/sr/whatitdoes.htm
for more details on it (but it is freeware.)
The majority of his "precious" discs contain game ROMs that can only be tested by a complete playthrough and even then it no guarantee if a glitch is a bad sector, bad burn, bad disc or game glitch.

SpinRite is not and never has freeware because of the general use one nature of it. If you find it 'free', it's because it's using a cracked install key.

It doesn't work on >2TB drives/partitions and Steve Gibson has never released his long promised update.

There's been speculation that Gibson didn't create SpinRite and that's why he's never been able to update it. Also, there are claims that it doesn't do with it's reported to. Personally, it's worked well for me. I've used it to recover data from some corrupted drives in the early 2000's when there weren't a lot of options. The major caution with SpinRite is that because it can take weeks to fully scan and repair a drive, it can easily kill a failing drive. When I used to run it, I'd keep a fan blowing on the drive to keep it cool.
11-24-2020, 06:57 AM
Free Member

Quote:
..SpinRite is not and never has freeware ...
Thanks for catching that . It should have read "but it is NOT freeware."
11-28-2020, 02:32 AM
Premium Member

Don't give gamey false hope. There's no way to stop bad blocks/sectors from happening. The reason they're showing up as bad is because all the pre-allocated blocks/sectors are used up.
11-28-2020, 04:18 AM

When the bad sectors blocks are exhausted the files start to be downloaded and saved in the bad sectors corrupting them and when burning the DVD with imgburn will I be burning a corrupted file?
11-28-2020, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

Answered numerous times above. Continue your endless, pointless questions at Reddit, where they're always getting tired of you Necessary_Bee.

Last edited by lingyi; 11-28-2020 at 09:54 AM.
11-28-2020, 11:48 AM
Free Member

This was the last question that Albert Einstein asked before he died. They've got a quantum computer working on it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
When the bad sectors blocks are exhausted the files start to be downloaded and saved in the bad sectors corrupting them and when burning the DVD with imgburn will I be burning a corrupted file?
11-28-2020, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formica View Post
This was the last question that Albert Einstein asked before he died. They've got a quantum computer working on it right now.
OMG! I just realized this is what 42 meant in The Hitchhiker's Guide the Universe!
11-28-2020, 05:27 PM
Free Member

Now you've got "it"

Tags
question