Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-14-2023, 08:00 AM
Free Member

I have been collecting some retro games for original Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox one.
Some of the discs have some minor scratches. I want to make sure they are all in a 100% working condition and 100% readable/healthy.

Someone suggested that I should dump the discs and then compare their md5sums to the md5sums at redump.org... I don't want to do this because this is a major headache(To dump the discs I have to buy a specific drive and then flash the firmware on it ... and alot more).
That leaves us with scanning the discs for errors...After searching and searching I came across this guide.

it suggests :

- Doing a Surface scan with a GOOD drive.

- Doing a transfer rate test (TRT) with a GOOD drive.

- More advanced tests but the guide says: " they are of little value to most people, often serving as nothing more than “facts” for arguments in online user forums."

My questions:

- What is a GOOD drive ? I have an LG WH16NS40 and a Toshiba/Samsung SU-108 laptop DVD-ROM drive. Are these considered "GOOD" ?

- For DVDs/CDs which program should I use for a surface and a TRT scan ? The guide suggests using Nero Disc Speed / Nero CD-DVD Speed or DVDInfoPro ?

- For BDs which program should I use for a surface and a TRT scan ?

- Do you recommend the advanced tests mentioned in the article ?

- Any other tests that I can do ?

- Can a drive damage the disc when scanning it ?

- Any articles/guides on this subject ?

Many Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors