Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Free Member

Forgive me if this question has already been asked many times before, but I'm a newbie to the forum.

I've started printing with my Epson printer on Taiyo Yuden inkjet hub printable discs........and noticed even after the suggested 24 hour wait before playing...the ink will still come off when the hub is wiped with a Kleenex....

Does that mean that 24 hours is not LONG enough to wait? Or is this insignificant....and will not do harm (clog up) the DVD player?

I'd appreciate any advice that you may offer.

Thanks,

-Shephard
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

This is one of several reasons why I personally do not like inkjet media. The disc could sit out for a month -- a year -- and it would still smear off when rubbed with any amount of force. The oils in your hands are enough to damage the surface of the disc. Sometimes humidity in the air alone is enough to cause damage.

Some discs also hold ink better than others. However, this topic is constantly debated, as to which disc is "best" for ink use. I tend to prefer Verbatim's inkjet surface for those few times when I am forced to print.

My quick rant: It's a lot of effort to spend on creating artwork, costs of printers, extra discs expenses -- all for something that gets maybe 2 seconds of viewing time. Effort is far better spent on DVD menus and DVD cases, as both of those get several minutes of total viewing time, compared to a couple of seconds as the disc goes from case to player. It seems like such a waste of time and resources to print on a disc. /End rant

The dried-but-smearing ink should not do any harm to the DVD player, no. There is nothing to "clog up" -- it's just a smear on the disc surface.

Some folks suggest various spray-on coatings, as used by artists to "cure" canvas paintings. They swear by its success, but I don't know if I would suggest it. It might be worth investigating, if you're determined to print inkjet media, and are concerned about how easily it smears.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
03-08-2009, 05:51 AM
Free Member

Send a message via AIM to wayshway
I also prefer the Mat finish on the discs.
They seem to dry a little quicker and don't scratch or finger print as easily.

Also wipe lightly around the outside edges.

I'm very familiar with the Epson disc printers.

I've recently upgraded to the Epson Artisan 700.
The tray design is pretty poor but I've gotten used to it.

It however prints way quicker than the R260 0r R360. It takes about 30 seconds to print unlike the 2 or 3 minutes with the older models.

The best thing is, the ink lasts twice as long. It also lets you finish your print before the ink runs out.

It will go into a stand by mode when you don't want to use it.
(Older models would charge and suck down ink every time you turn it on.)

The Artison 700 will also let you change the ink without having to charge it.
(Older models would charge and it would suck down ink every time you change an ink cartridge.)

The Epson Artison does none of the below.

There are some nasty tricks Epson does with their R series printers.

1. Never turn it off. Every time you have to turn it back on, it charges and sucks down the ink.

2. Never let a cartridge run out completely. If you let this happen, the cartridge cradle will freeze and get stuck.
Since it will not move, you will not be able to open the cradle and change your ink cartridge.
You'll then have to shut it off and turn it back on so it charges and sucks down the ink.
Then it will charge again once you replace the ink and suck down even more.

3. You're only allowed so many prints until the printer shuts down and tells you that you have to service it. You'll need to download a program that overrides it.

4. There's always plenty of ink even though it says you're running out. You'll also have to download a program that overrides that as well.

ttyl

Last edited by wayshway; 03-08-2009 at 05:59 AM.
03-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Free Member

wayshway,

you recommend to never turn off the printer in order to prevent it to charge and suck down the ink. Did you do it with your R260 printer? Based on my previous research, those two printers (R260 and R280) use the same type of ink. Is it OK to keep printer running all day long? Sorry, for my question, but times when I used inkjet printers are real past for me. (I did very low color printing in past 6 years, so I stick to black laser printer and than color laser printer; however, it does not look that there would ever be a laser printer that prints on DVD discs.)

I just bought Epson Stylus R280 printer yesterday, awaiting its delivery today, and I am getting concerned about my decision. I bought it mainly for the DVD printing (since I have two great laser printers to do everyday regular printing jobs, excluding photo printing for which I still use professional labs - it's too much work and probably ink to be used to print 8"x10" photos at home with low prices at club's.)
I tried to buy unexpensive printer to create DVDs for my child favorite TV shows (the ones never released on DVDs until now), and it looks that it was not very good choice.

You also mentioned, that
"You're only allowed so many prints until the printer shuts down and tells you that you have to service it. You'll need to download a program that overrides it." "There's always plenty of ink even though it says you're running out. You'll also have to download a program that overrides that as well."

Could you make any suggestion where to look / find these programs?

Did you ever count how many DVDs you can print using one set of cartridge? I know that some color may run out earlier than other, but I read in other forums yesterday that some people were able to print over 100 disc from the one set of cartridges.

Last edited by reva; 03-26-2009 at 09:51 PM.
03-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Free Member

Send a message via AIM to wayshway
I'm not sure about the R280. I would suggest turning it off and turning it back on and see if it charges. Just check your ink levels before and after you turn it off.

It's been a while but I'm sure its SSC Service Utility for Epson Stylus Printers.
http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

You can also poke around the printer forum at:
http://www.printerforums.net/epson-f12p7.html

ttyl
06-17-2010, 03:32 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

I had the similar problem, I just used a friends Primera printer and it was easy. All the other ones I used kept giving me a bleed edge or the colors wasn't right. Just be wary of RGB colors, it should be in CMYK

Nathan Davies
Riverproaudio.co.uk
Closed Thread

Tags
hub printable, inkjet printable, printing to discs