Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-25-2016, 07:58 PM
Free Member

Visible light can pass through all the paper and tyvek sleeves I have seen (don't know about other wave lengths). It just is translucent, light is scattered (to prevent a coherent image from being seen through it - just shadows). If light can pass through it, it has potential to effect optical media.

Keep your recorded media in a light-tight box, cabinet, or closet to minimize this.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: gamemaniaco (08-29-2016), lordsmurf (03-27-2016)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-25-2016, 08:06 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

my CD and DVD stored in case of paper is in a horizontal position where the disk top face receives direct light, the part of the disc behind does not receive direct light as it is lying, this disc will be damaged by light?
03-25-2016, 08:38 PM
Free Member

Maybe.
Keep your recorded media in a light-tight box, cabinet, or closet to minimize this.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: gamemaniaco (08-29-2016), lordsmurf (03-27-2016)
03-26-2016, 07:13 AM

Some CDs / DVDs my station stored in this horizontal position on the paper case, the light will enter the disk going to dye and disc damage?
03-27-2016, 01:14 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamemaniaco View Post
Some CDs / DVDs my station stored in this horizontal position on the paper case, the light will enter the disk going to dye and disc damage?
Yes. Light bad. Disc fall down, go boom.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (08-29-2016)
03-27-2016, 06:15 AM
Free Member

Consider: http://www.verbatim.com/subcat/optical-media/m-disc/

Costs more, but potentially longer life, the recorded layer is more resistant to heat, humidity, and light.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: gamemaniaco (08-29-2016)
03-27-2016, 07:23 AM

the CD / DVD disc horizontally in white paper case on a table or on another disk light will go behind the discs? the front side is exposed to light, but the back of disc receive light?

Last edited by gamemaniaco; 03-27-2016 at 07:43 AM.
03-27-2016, 08:00 AM
Free Member

Note: paper sleeves are in contact with the surface of the media and any dirt or other "stuff" that gets into the sleeve will be in contact with the media, and could scratch or embed in the media surface as it is moved within the sleeve or in contact for a long time. Paper sleeves are not a good option for long term storage. But they are cheap for delivery of disks to third parties .

Note that optical media includes transparent plastic outer and edge layers. Light can enter from the edge of the media, not just through the play side surface.

Black DVD library cases the better option - they effectively protect from light and direct contact with the media surface, and can reduce the rate (e.g., degrees-per-hour) that room temperature and RH changes reach the media. Just beware of inferior (often cheap) cases that may still be out-gassing chemicals left over from manufacturing.

You might find this web page of interest
http://www.hughsnews.ca/faqs/authori...e-and-disposal

And keep in mind that Murphy's law assures us that no matter what you do, the most important recording will be the one to fail first, and usually sometime during the day before you really need it .

Last edited by dpalomaki; 03-27-2016 at 08:29 AM.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: gamemaniaco (08-29-2016)
03-27-2016, 08:25 AM

I have CD / DVD discs in two types of cases, the case of paper and slim case with a black bottom, all disks are stored in a horizontal position, if I light a fluorescent lamp or the sun indirect light is present these lights They will enter the disk damaging the dye? theoretically the light would have to go to the front of the disks

03-27-2016, 08:53 AM
Free Member

Unless the disc is in a light tight container, light can reach the disk. This applies to the slim plastic CD jewel cases with a clear cover on one side as in your #29 photo. Light can enter via the edge of the disk and some will reach the dyes. Whether or not it will unrecoverably damage the recording will depend on the dyes, the intensity and wavelength of the light, and the duration of exposure as well as other environmental and handling factors, not the least of which are manufacturing variations from one lot to the next.

All of this has been discussed in depth in this (and other) threads and reference links, and you have been given many suggestion as to how to mitigate the risks. Nothing you, or I, or anyone else lurking here, can say will change the physics of media degradation over time and exposure. At this point believe what you wish and act accordingly but do not expect anyone to give you a precise prediction as to media life in your situation.
03-27-2016, 09:22 AM

This is a situation would be I did not know that the light came on CD / DVD by the edge, I have no other case and my discs were in the white paper case and slimcase exposed to indirect sunlight and fluorescent light all day and evening, the disc edge was protected I would not have this concern but I think my discs will die fast

Lordsmurf The light on the dye through the edge of the CD / DVD disc?

what photo the best case type for preserv long term storage cd and dvd? i buy in brazil
05-14-2016, 04:34 AM
Free Member

In the light of this and previous similar discussions I am sure the discs will die long before we are all fin(n)ished with the subject
The following users thank vkmestari for this useful post: gamemaniaco (08-29-2016)
05-14-2016, 05:57 AM

what photo the best case type for preserve long term storage cd and dvd? i buy in brazil

case dvd is very good or bad to preserve cd / dvd media? I thought about buying these cases (slim, fat) for storage my verbatim medias but need to know if it is the best option to protect the disc of light, moisture, heat

Lordsmurf help my question please

dvd case Amaray is good for preserve optical media?
09-09-2016, 06:06 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
You keep asking me for answers I cannot give.
- Can it? Yes.
- Will it? I cannot guarantee this. Some cases are excellent, some are garbage.

Example: I've had Amaray that were really nice. But I've also had Amaray that went in the trash. Wrose yet, "Amaray" is misused a lot, so those "Amaray" cases are sometimes not even Amaray. You can blame the high variability of plastics, especially when using cheaper recycled plastics (and many DVD cases do).

So, please, quit asking me this. You already have my answers.

Slim cases can scratch media, as many have not protection between the lower polycarbonate and the plastics of the case. You need a small bumper to keep the surfaces from touching, and most all "full" cases (or even multi-disc) are like this.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: gamemaniaco (09-13-2016)
09-09-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
You keep asking me for answers I cannot give.
- Can it? Yes.
- Will it? I cannot guarantee this. Some cases are excellent, some are garbage.

Example: I've had Amaray that were really nice. But I've also had Amaray that went in the trash. Wrose yet, "Amaray" is misused a lot, so those "Amaray" cases are sometimes not even Amaray. You can blame the high variability of plastics, especially when using cheaper recycled plastics (and many DVD cases do).

So, please, quit asking me this. You already have my answers.

Slim cases can scratch media, as many have not protection between the lower polycarbonate and the plastics of the case. You need a small bumper to keep the surfaces from touching, and most all "full" cases (or even multi-disc) are like this.
I bought cases of black Amaray DVD because I have not found another case better and I'll put my Verbatim disks in them, my Amaray cases are not slim, he has 14mm I did correct?

I have trouble inserting the disc and insert the DVD disc in the case of the pin, sometimes scratches the disk, which the right way to fit and remove the pin disk the case of DVD?
09-09-2016, 07:11 PM
Free Member

Pushing in on the center bump will often release the disc, but that will depend on the specific case design. Prying the disk out by the edge stresses the disc and should be avoided.

The black case should protect from light, and it can slow down the rate of temperature/humidity/air change if there is a sudden change in the local ambient environment.

As indicated above, the unknown is whether or not the plastic out-gasses fumes that are harmful to the disc. And of course there are mechanical damage issues such as scratches, or stress cracks due to difficulty with disk insertion/removal. That can vary from make/brand to make/brand and even lot to lot from the same source.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: gamemaniaco (09-13-2016)
09-09-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Pushing in on the center bump will often release the disc, but that will depend on the specific case design. Prying the disk out by the edge stresses the disc and should be avoided.

The black case should protect from light, and it can slow down the rate of temperature/humidity/air change if there is a sudden change in the local ambient environment.

As indicated above, the unknown is whether or not the plastic out-gasses fumes that are harmful to the disc. And of course there are mechanical damage issues such as scratches, or stress cracks due to difficulty with disk insertion/removal. That can vary from make/brand to make/brand and even lot to lot from the same source.
I put the disc in the case of the pin and push the disc center to fix the DVD disc into the pin, this is correct procedure? will not bend and break the record? to pick up the disc is easy to push the case of the pin for the DVD disc out

I bought cases dvd amaray (not slim) black but I have not received them to find out if they are good or bad, it was the best I have found in Brazil

dvd black case is higher than the cases of cd? it is true that the temperature on the disc is better in case of black dvd?
09-10-2016, 05:47 AM
Free Member

In direct sun (or other intense direct heat source) the black case and its contents will get hot (a bit like a greenhouse effect). But if fully shaded from heat sources (the IR light), it should be OK.

The case provides a bit if insulation and air space that will slow the transfer of environmental changes such as heat to/from the disc,; e.g., It will warm slower but stay warm longer than if there is no case when the temperature changes.

See lordsmurf's note on Amary.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: gamemaniaco (09-13-2016)
09-10-2016, 05:55 AM

1 if the case black dvd then heat will heat the disk? I should be buying a non-black case dvd not heat? the average temperature of my region is 30 to 36 ° C, do not place the case and dvd in the sun but the heat this worldwide

2 see photo: in such case the openings enters light on the disc?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1547.jpg (80.1 KB, 3 downloads)
09-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Free Member

With a black case the heat that is an issue is direct sunshine (or from some other significant bright/hot radiant source) hitting it. And the case will feel hot, like teh inside of a car in the sun. Not likely an issue if in a shaded corner of a room. There it will be at about the room temperature.

The light entering the slits you point to may be insignificant, especially if not in direct sun, and if the case has a cover insert that blocks the openings, or it is next to another case that blocks the openings.

Don't over think the question! You are trying to polish a piece of excrement, and in the end you will still have a piece of excrement.

Note: if the cases smell of solvent, that quite likely is not a good sign for optimal life.

Tags
questions