01-29-2020, 06:13 PM
Free Member

I find this article interesting...

http://web.archive.org/web/200411181...a_sucker.phtml

Ah man!!

Quote:
Don’t Be A Sucker…

10.14.2004 @ 08:46 PM PT | Matt Hartley

One thing about the PC repair business that many of us never get used to is the request to help with the VCR still blinking because the time has not been set. Folks, I do not mind helping people with stuff like this, but each of us needs to remember where to draw the line.

When it is OK to help with home entertainment and when it is not

Each of us has boundaries that we put out there to prevent us from taking on work that is not our "style." I, for instance, will not hang flat screen TVs nor have anything to do with most advanced home entertainment products that are not already placed into position. Why am I so paranoid? Because you need to be careful of those looking to pass the buck on to you! As much as I hate to say it, there are those people out there who are simply mean. You know the type. They actually speed up when a little old lady is trying to cross the road just to frighten them. Well, these same people have no problem passing off existing problems with their home entertainment products over to you by acting like you "broke" the equipment in some way.

You know when this happens as the TV/DVD Player/Etc. is turned on but nothing happens. You look over at the client only to see no indication of shock at all. Right off the bat, they start in with bogus accusations. "You did this and it worked fine yesterday." As you examine the device you see the date 1999 on it and begin to suspect that it never worked in the first place. As you and the client begin to argue, you end up being roped into replacing the device out of your own pocket. Do you see how easily this can happen? Don't even agree to do anything with home electronics without either a waiver or being bonded in some way. If you do, you do so at your own risk.

"But my clients are very honest and would never rip me off!"

On the whole, I agree. But the truth is that you never know if the device is going to just stop working altogether. Even the most honest of clients are going to be suspicious when their TV stops working after you install their surround sound system. They know you did not do it on purpose, but they may feel like you are the responsible person in this instance.

Folks, the moral of this story is simple. Stay clear of home entertainment products unless you are prepared to face life's little surprises, OK? It is just no fun for anyone involved, especially you.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-31-2020, 07:09 AM
Free Member

That's random.
10-13-2021, 09:19 PM
Free Member

Yes but sadly it can happen anytime......