Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-13-2022, 04:12 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traal View Post
Ok so if I have a glitchy HuffYUV capture because I didn't use an external TBC, I can play that file through the S-Video connector on my video card, connected to the input on an external TBC, and take the output of that TBC to a capture card capturing to a second HuffYUV file, and it will fix the video same as if I used the external TBC in the first place, correct?

LordSmurf, do you concur?
No. Capture cards and video decoder ICs in general will normally only give you the 480/486/576 visible lines of a SD video frame, with the color decoded into two color channels, following the ITU-R BT.656 standard. The data for the non-visible lines, and the horizontal synchronization area of each line are replaced by blank bytes or status codes and won't be in the final file. Additionally, there is often some facilities for capturing parts of the vertical blanking area (the lines above/below the visible image) as a separate stream for decoding teletext, closed captions and the like, either raw output of it or letting the video ic decode that.

To be able to do what you say one would need a way to be able to grab the whole signal, not just the visible bits. The non-visible parts are what actuallly signals where a field and where a line starts, and the reference color data which is what's needed for a tbc or similar to adjust to compensate for instability and corrupted data. Playing back a captured video file on some composite output will just give you a clean video signal with the non-visible parts freshly generated by the video output IC, any errors will have been baked into the video when it was captured.

Digitizing a composite/s-video signal directly is something we've looked into a bit via vhs-decode, but we've had some issue finding a device that will do that properly. The conexant CX2388x-based pci capture cards are capable raw signal capture, but if used with composite input they tend to do some weird re-sampling causing distorted output and we haven't managed to find out how to get around that so it's a bit hit and miss if it works. It's not an issue when using them to capture e.g head amd rf for vhs-decode, so it seems to be something they do when detecting composite input. Most/all software-defined radio devices won't work either as they're designed for radio signals and don't capture the lowest frequencies. Same with the domesday duplicator hardware that was designed to capture the laserdisc rf output (at least not without hardware modification.)

There may be other video decoder ics that have a similar raw output mode as the cx2388x ones, though datasheets are not full always available for either the IC, or even if it is, it may still lack for the USB/PCI bridge chip that is used (some use a bridge chip, some have a combined video decoder and PCI/PCIe/USB bridge chip).

It may or may not also be possible with some devices to set the registers on the video IC to output a raw Rec. 601 component (Y/Cb/Cr) stream without the non-visible parts being replaced with blanks and status codes so one could process the full component signal rather than just the visible parts though it's not something I've looked deeply into.

The datavideo and avt/cypress TBCs use run of the mill video decoder (SAA7111 and SAA7114 respectively) and encoder ICs. I don't know how they are set up exactly, we don't have any ROM dumps of these TBCs. Either they output standard ITU-R_BT.656 and the CPLD/FPGA chip decides what do do with the output of that if the sync parts aren't detected, or they output decoded component and some more stuff is handled by the CPLD/FPGA chip. The video encoder chip will then output a signal with freshly generated sync parts based on the video output from that. Some other TBC units like some of the leitch/DPS ones featured a custom video decoder implemented on a FPGA as far as I know, very old ones had the decoding tasks split up between many chips so those are more complicated.

Not entirely sure what part in the capture cards is responsible for "dropping" frames either, or if that is done by the drivers when they don't detect start of field/line codes or how it works exactly, as it's not done int he video decoder IC at least.

VCR tbcs on decks like the NV-HS1000 are a bit simpler, judging by the datasheets, they digitize a signal delayed by 1 line into a buffer. The Y/Luma part is digitized directly while the chroma is demodulated into the two chroma components. Then there is some chip that looks at the sync parts compared to a reference and modified the output timing of the ics that turn the digitized video back to analog. I think the TBC might also be re-creating the sync pulse but not sure. There is also some logic to compensate for head switch based on the head switch signal and trick play modes etc. Later VCRs like the oft used JVCs have all this combined in a single IC combined with noise reduction and other features. Afaik these won't re-create the vertical sync part that tells where a field starts or ensure a stable 25/29.97 fps stable output so you can still get frame drops and such downstream.

The TBC in many camcorders like the Sony and hitachi Hi8/D8 ones, and the late model JVC VHS-C one I have seem to also have some function to re-generate vertical sync based on head switch if it's missing/corrupted. Some JVC vcrs have a similar thing called video stabilizer but it does not work if the TBC is active on those.

Some of the "pro"/broadcast decks there seems to be able to buffer full frames and integrate drop-out compensation with the TBC also.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: lollo2 (07-13-2022), lordsmurf (07-13-2022)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-13-2022, 10:10 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traal View Post
Ok so if I have a glitchy HuffYUV capture because I didn't use an external TBC, I can play that file through the S-Video connector on my video card, connected to the input on an external TBC, and take the output of that TBC to a capture card capturing to a second HuffYUV file, and it will fix the video same as if I used the external TBC in the first place, correct?
LordSmurf, do you concur?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremfg View Post
Your typical capture card has "smarts" in it that will result in dropped frames if it doesn't understand the signal it receives. It's trying to recognize a specific number of lines to generate a video frame for example.
Don't confuse line timing with frame or field timing. Not the same. Dropped frames are the consequence of frame issues, which may or may not have anything to do with bad line timing. That's why both TBCs are needed, essentially timing correcting (TBC'ing) both axis, both intra and inter, both temporal and non-temporal.

Quote:
A TBC knows what the signal is supposed to look like
Well ... usually. Bad signals, TBCs can get confused. The capture card gets confused with or without TBC on really bad signals.

Quote:
But then you can just fix the signal in software
Noting that nothing exists, and may never exist.

Quote:
The software will not do better job than the hardware.
Correct.

Quote:
The real advantage is that you don't need all the hardware/gear we need today.
That remains to be seen. I still call BS on it. That project will be stillborn vaporware without a dedicated hardware kit for capture, TBC, various assist, etc, and requiring specific VCRs. It's simply too much of a variable mess right now, no consistency among results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
If your capture chain flawed you can't recover a corrupted signal,
Correct.
Or if the source (tape) is bad.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-13-2022, 10:42 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Decode continues apace, it can be continually developed unlike hardware.

The criticisms are fair to an extent, but I've had best results with some very lowly late model junk machines: sample of 1.

Cards are now commodity, I'm still working on impedance conversion with good results. The final impedance matching amplifier card won't cost more than $50US or so and I'm happy to open source it pro bono if people want to improve or roll their own.

I need to nail the design down, and work on reducing a few parts, but to do a basic buffer to match isn't rocket science if you know a bit about amplifier design .

I can not say it's vaporware, I can not say it will wholesale change the video capture landscape.

But it's coming, and people far smarter than me are working on it.
07-13-2022, 11:19 AM
Free Member

@lordsmurf
Thanks for adding the missing détails and clarifications I was too lazy to add myself. A true expert and professional.

@RobustReviews
My favorite comparison is Greaseweazle, which does a similar thing for floppy disks. It and Kyroflux have revolutionalized the landscape for early computer History preservationists and archivists. Museums and institutions have jumped started that segment.

But they had it much easier. You can just "plug" an old school floppy drive to their hardware. A working one or course, like VCRs there's a whole community of people restoring and repairing them.

Thankfully for them, floppy drives are a lot more common and ubiquitous than VCRs it seems. And way simpler in operation and construction. By comparison, video tapes are the pinnacle of the magnetic-as-a-storage-medium technology complexity, at a hardware level.
With VHS-decode there just isn't an easy turnkey solution when it comes to hardware to read the magnetic medium. Not only you need a working tape transport mechanism and head drum, but it remains very hands on, you need to disassemble a VCR and all. That's why I tend to share @lordsmurf pessimism. A whole side-industry or market of people disassembling old VCRs and creating ready made kits for playing tapes and plugging in to the hardware FPGA/DSP platform will need to exists if there's ever a chance for it to take off. A very tall order. Until then it will remain very niche and obscure, without any meaningful adoption or support hampering it's success. And yes that's a shame because I'd like to see it take off.

But hey, I still hope you guys succeed. Surely someone somewhere out there will have a need for such development beyond the hobbyist market? Sure VHS was always a consumer-only format unlike floppies, but it's been so widely used for over 30 years that I'm sure there's some archivists out there with tapes and deep pockets, and by that I mean a few institutions, that will kick things up at some point.

At least that's my hope.
The following users thank jeremfg for this useful post: lordsmurf (07-13-2022)
07-13-2022, 11:35 AM

Greaseweezle is a very apposite comparison, we do occasionally do data recovery and you're exactly right.

VHS decode is directly analogous, it's a powerful tool but considerations must be made.
07-13-2022, 11:56 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustReviews View Post
and people far smarter than me are working on it.
For me, that's part of the problem. They definitely know some things I don't, but they're not smarter overall. I know consumer analog formats quite well. I'm not a dummy in awe of video magic. "Wow, they're smart, narf, poit!"

What is being proposed is interesting, and there is a chance it can happen. Just not as it exists now. I can see benefits, but also flaws. I'm not a cheerleader, I'm a realist. A lot of supporters of the project have overly wishful thinking, doe-eyed, even naively so. I'm sure the project devs can eventually rig up something that works passably for themselves, but the issue is what are non-dev users supposed to do? What about all the errors that WILL happen, that current devs haven't accounted for? Therein lies the issue.

I monitor the project. Sometimes I see stuff that gets a "hmm" and nod. Others elicit a "WTF?" with furled eyebrows. It's a mixed bag.

And yet, I'm setting aside some important tapes, to redo better (not the the current captures are bad), should it ever happen. But it clearly won't be anytime soon, not for years.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-13-2022, 01:51 PM
Free Member

I think the issue is more politized than it should be. It's pretty simple, hardcore hobbyists and archivists will always find/have the appropriate gear to make good captures, They are not waiting for the holly grail to show up, yes expensive and exotic but it works almost as good as the VHS-decode, Such gear is circulating online, I've sold it and it sells. The average Joe looking for a $5 Chinese device just want a convenient way of getting the video signal into storable state regardless of its quality, those are the masses and those are not going to invest in the VHS-decode if it ever happens, they simply don't have the skills to buy one and rig up a VCR or buy a complete system for God who knows how much but it won't be cheap. I think we should stop fantasizing about it, because such devices do exist already, not cheap but they work pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: lordsmurf (07-13-2022)
07-13-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I think the issue is more politized than it should be. It's pretty simple, hardcore hobbyists and archivists will always find/have the appropriate gear to make good captures, yes expensive and exotic but it works almost as good as the VHS-decode, Such gear is circulating online, I've sold it and it sells. The average Joe looking for a $5 Chinese device just want a convenient way of getting the video signal into storable state regardless of its quality, those are the masses and those are not going to invest in the VHS-decode if it ever happens, they simply don't have the skills to buy one and rig up a VCR or buy a complete system for who knows how much but it won't be cheap. I think we should stop fantasizing about it, because such devices do exist already, not cheap but they work pretty well.
Bring in a sub $200 price point, which VHS Decode demonstrably provides and opinion will shift.

The old kit seems to be failing with alarming regularity (look at recent threads here) how long do we push the 'buy it, sell it' paradigm?
07-13-2022, 02:06 PM
Free Member

I'm not bashing a new device design, I'm just saying there is no market for it even among the well established hobbyists. $200 for what? The hardware? How about rigging it to the VCR, troubleshooting it, calibrating it? Do you think the average Joe would fork $200 for such an adventure?

Buy it sell it may sound like snake oil but it is actually the truth, Analog video tapes are not being made or massively recorded anymore so every person has a limited collection of tapes, If done with his project, what is he going to do with the hardware? Sell it of course.

The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: lordsmurf (07-13-2022)
07-13-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I'm not bashing a new device design, I'm just saying there is no market for it even among the well established hobbyists. $200 for what? The hardware? How about rigging it to the VCR, troubleshooting it, calibrating it? Do you think the average Joe would fork $200 for such an adventure?

Buy it sell it may sound like snake oil but it is actually the truth, Analog video tapes are not being made or massively recorded anymore so every person has a limited collection of tapes, If done with his project, what is he going to do with the hardware? Sell it of course.
Yes, but development or the application continues apace. I could sell basic machines, my mod and a card for $200 all day.

I'm quite 'comfortable' to be dreadfully vulgar, I don't have a profit motive.

We're a way from that granted, but as even LS is starting to get a reputation for selling equipment that fails in short order, how long do we cling to the 'buy it, sell it' paradigm?

It's a genuine question, and no sleight intended. It's the cold reality of old equipment, it's entropy in action.

I'm not staying VHS Decode is the defacto answer, but it needs to be appreciated a lot of equipment is moving from 'asset' to 'hot potato' status. It's all well and good until it fails on you.

Then what?
07-13-2022, 02:21 PM
Free Member

I can understand selling the duplicator for $200, But the whole system for $200? I don't know for how long you can sustain losses.

07-13-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I can understand selling the duplicator for $200, But the whole system for $200? I don't know for how long you can sustain losses.
You're a long way out of the loop if you're talking about the DD
07-13-2022, 02:32 PM
Free Member

That's actually the point, You want a perfectly working VCR. So before you commit to selling it you want to make sure you service it and everything works as it should and will last for at least the duration of the project, quite frankly VCR's in good working condition out of the shipping box are hard to come by, Unless you are willing to service them for free because not only you will not be making profit but you will be loosing money.

I tell what, When you start making those systems, I will buy every unit from you for $200 in one condition, you only sell to me.

07-13-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
That's actually the point, You want a perfectly working VCR. So before you commit to selling it you want to make sure you service it and everything works as it should and will last for at least the duration of the project, quite frankly VCR's in good working condition out of the shipping box are hard to come by, Unless you are willing to service them for free because not only you will not be making profit but you will be loosing money.

I tell what, When you start making those systems, I will buy every unit from you for $200 in one condition, you only sell to me.
PM me with an order for 100 and we will have a deal.

I'll get my procurement bods on to you, we will need some details etc.

Where are you in the world? Might be worth a face to face.
07-13-2022, 02:37 PM
Free Member

Not so fast, without a working porotype there is no deal, Demonstrate a fully working and enclosed system and we can discuss the business details.

07-13-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Not so fast, without a working porotype there is no deal, Demonstrate a fully working and enclosed system and we can discuss the business details.
That's cool, that's why we arrange meetings.

I'm always happy to do business.

PM me some details and I'll see what I can arrange. If you're genuine we might be able to work out a deal.
07-13-2022, 02:42 PM
Free Member

I will PM you when I see a working prototype.

07-13-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I will PM you when I see a working prototype.
What, of a working $200 VHS decode with a machine, CX card and impedance matching?

Let me get back from my current business trip?

You're not a business person are you?
07-13-2022, 02:54 PM
Free Member

There is no business without merchandise.

07-13-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
There is no business without merchandise.
I wasn't asking you to?

If I genuinely thought you were legitimate you wouldn't ask on a public forum
Closed Thread