Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-12-2022, 06:09 PM
Free Member

Referring to How to Capture MPEG Video with ATI All-In-Wonder Card (AIW)

Vista Drivers

The one video review I found for the All-in-Wonder HD PCIe card runs on Vista. Yet the guide is clear that I need XP or earlier. Vista isn't fondly remembered but it's the next generation up and more motherboards and useful software would be compatible.

I found ATI drivers available to install for 64-bit Vista for the Radeon 9600 and newer cards. These are all PCIe and/or AGP:
  • All-in-Wonder HD
  • All-in-Wonder X1900
  • All-in-Wonder X1800 XL
  • All-in-Wonder 2006 PCI Express
  • All-in-Wonder X800
  • All-in-Wonder X600 Pro
  • All-in-Wonder 9800
  • All-in-Wonder 9700
  • All-in-Wonder 9600
Partition a Hard Drive for Dual Boot

This is where I'm at. Would be nice to not have to buy another computer or swap out a hard drive for a single purpose. I have an old-new stock business PC with Windows 7, 2x PCI and 2x PCIe slots. I'd think Windows XP or Vista will install but I've never partitioned a hard drive to install a second OS. This could be a very useful part to cover, even just to mention how many GB are reasonable to allocate.

Compare to Other Modern Options

Is this rabbit hole still relevant or is it obsoleted? Casual masses want plug and play and I don't see any technology covered on here since the Hauppauge 610 USB-Live 2 released in 2010. That and the I-o DATA GV-USB2 both cost $50-60, capture Composite and S-Video, work on modern computers and record in 4:2:2 MPEG2 or newer codecs. Vastly superior to 4:2:0 that DVD is locked to. The 610 is locked to NTSC but GV-USB2 does NTSC, PAL and SECAM with 4 different de-interlacing options.

Now that we're talking modern computers, what about OBS or AmaRecTV instead of VirtualDub? I record in 4:2:2 mkv files with OBS. Couldn't be easier.

I see people throwing around the term "lossless recording", such as with the Diamond VC500 USB 2.0. UYVY, YUY2 and YUV422 are three forms of the same thing. Not lossless but good enough. You'd have to prove RGB or 4:4:4 4K30 isn't merely upsampling 4:2:2 for lossless.

So is the advantage of the ATI All-in-Wonder approach the chipset that is supposedly better than these popular $40-60 USB capture devices? Can I see video proof? Well, the ATI cards do RF.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-12-2022, 08:43 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reticle View Post
So is the advantage of the ATI All-in-Wonder approach the chipset that is supposedly better than these popular $40-60 USB capture devices?
Correct.

Quote:
Can I see video proof? Well, the ATI cards do RF.
There are two decades of samples already online, both here, and at other sites. Search for those. The main difference is values (IRE, 16-235, 0-255, luma, chroma, AGC, etc). Also audio when slaved to TBSC. And sharpness, lots of that USB junk is soft even with s-video. I can't take time for such captures right now, perhaps others can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reticle View Post
The one video review I found for the All-in-Wonder HD PCIe card runs on Vista.
The video is wrong. Graphics have drivers, not video. AIW not AIW, graphics card only, in Vista. You can hack Vista/7 x86 for AIW and MMC, but it doesn't stick between reboots. Messy.

Quote:
Yet the guide is clear that I need XP or earlier.
XP only.

Quote:
I found ATI drivers available to install for 64-bit Vista
Not correct. Again, graphics only. You neuter the AIW to now have video.

Quote:
but I've never partitioned a hard drive to install a second OS.
I have. Messy. Will never do that again.
Get this to swap drives at boot: https://amzn.to/3Rullk8

Quote:
This could be a very useful part to cover, even just to mention how many GB are reasonable to allocate.
Lossless Huffyuv is about 35gb/hour. About.

Quote:
Casual masses want plug and play and I don't see any technology covered on here since
Converting analog tapes is a legacy task from the 2000s. Nothing new exists, aside from cheap Chinese crap, and HD cards that poorly "also do" (do badly) SD analog video.

Quote:
the Hauppauge 610 USB-Live 2 released in 2010. That and the I-o DATA GV-USB2 both cost $50-60, capture Composite and S-Video, work on modern computers
Those are "the best" (meh) of currently sold cards. PAL users seem to like these, but I have deep concerns with AGC (recently mentioned about GV-USB2). The Live2 is long lived, production changes over the past decade, almost never a good thing.

Quote:
and record in 4:2:2 MPEG2 or newer codecs.
Not correct.

Quote:
The 610 is locked to NTSC but GV-USB2 does NTSC, PAL and SECAM with 4 different de-interlacing options.
Not accurate, though maybe it was at the time. Again, production changes, Hauppauge recycles model names and numbers for different cards, always has.

Quote:
Now that we're talking modern computers, what about OBS or AmaRecTV instead of VirtualDub? I record in 4:2:2 mkv files with OBS. Couldn't be easier.
No.
- OBS is a screen recording software. Not capture. It records from within the preview layers, no direct, which causes issues.
- AmaRecTV is limited, and the dropped frames counter is suspect. Only use it VirtualDub fails, usually due to Win10. But Win10 is a terrible OS for video capture altogether.

Quote:
I see people throwing around the term "lossless recording", such as with the Diamond VC500 USB 2.0. UYVY, YUY2 and YUV422 are three forms of the same thing. Not lossless but good enough. You'd have to prove RGB or 4:4:4 4K30 isn't merely upsampling 4:2:2 for lossless.
Not sure what you're suggesting here. Lossless doesn't have loss from the source. In terms of consumer analog formats, that number is 4:2:2, the closest digital equiv to the analog. RGB isn't YUV. And 4:4:4 is only lossless to 4:4:4 formats, or merely padded 4:2:2 as suggested.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs