Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-09-2022, 06:10 PM
Free Member

Hi,

I've been trying to capture some surfing movies from VHS to digital recently. Since finding this site I've kinda put a hold on the project until I can get some better equipment and understanding of how to use it.

So far I've been using - JVC HR6965 EK > Roxio VHS to DVD capture > 13" 2011 MacBook Pro running 'Roxio Video Capture' software.

I've been using RGB cables (Red, White, Yellow cables) into a scart adaptor to connect the VHS to the Mac. Although the VHS player & Roxia do have S-Video connections.

I've attached (.mov) some footage that I've captured using the above. I was happy with this at the time, but now looking at it and reading this forum I'm sure it can be made better.

What I'd like to know is -

- What are the issues an experienced person can see needs fixing in this footage?
- What equipment/methods are needed to fix these problems?

For me, I can see some wobbling, the image could possibly be sharper, there seems to be some coloured bands appearing occassionally, there's a weird black wavy streak across the top of the picture some times (around 1m mark), and there's some white snowy specks sometimes.

I'm currently trying to find a better VHS player with inline(?) TBC. I have acquired a Panasonic ES15 (I've not put into any workflow just yet). I'm not sure whether to try and source an old PC with an All In Wonder Card (I don't really have the space for a large PC), or to get something like a Diamond VC500MAC (see see the Diamond USB being recommended on this site in places) as an improvement in my capture device. Software wise I'm at a loss right now.

Thanks so much to anyone taking the time to watch the attached video.

Attached Files
File Type: mov Future Moves.mov (54.50 MB, 22 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-09-2022, 09:13 PM
Free Member

Best to use S-video whenever you can.

The manual page 39 indicates that you can set the L1 output to S-video. You'd need a Scart plug with a S-video socket, like one of these:

Scart connector.jpg

Although you say the VCR has an S-video connection? If that is the case, ditch the Scart and sue the S-video connection.

ES-15 will definitely help.

Connect the VCR to the ES15 with S-video (or you can try with the RCA cables, it will still be a big improvement), then S-video from the ES15 to the Roxio (once again, you can use RCA, but S-video is better).

See what that does to the quality. Then you can decide if you want/need to go down the PC rabbit hole.

The following users thank Hushpower for this useful post: CaptureDJ (10-10-2022)
10-09-2022, 09:44 PM
Free Member

Hi. Thanks so much for the reply. The VHS player does indeed have an S-Video out. I think I played a mouldy tape in it though, so since then I’m really unsure whether to keep using it, clean it if that’s even possible, or get a new one. I’m only intending to copy each tape once so maybe I’m over thinking it and should just get it done. But when I do I’ll follow your advice thanks

Did you happen to check out the capture footage I attached? I’m curious as to what improvements to look for from using the Es15.

Also, is there a thread or guide on this site, or other, that lists the names and shows examples of the various defects one might see on old tape footage. I’ve seen a few isolated examples of stills but in all honesty I struggle to see the differences in the frame grabs. But maybe my colourblindness stops me seeing certain nuances.

Thanks again
10-09-2022, 09:54 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Did you happen to check out the capture footage I attached?
I did. It's awful! Sorry for being brutal.

Here are some examples of what an ES-15 will do:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post82879

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...d)#post2607662

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsgmuQT4udE
(If you can stand the 3 minute wait for the ad!! Edit: click the Skip button next to the Play/Pause button?).

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...html#post71991

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...html#post78052
The following users thank Hushpower for this useful post: CaptureDJ (10-10-2022)
10-09-2022, 10:24 PM
Free Member

Amazing. Thanks for your honesty! And thanks for the links. I’d seen a couple of them before but not really been able to tell what I was looking at, but collectively having checked all the stills and links out I've got a much better idea.

Thank you!
The following users thank CaptureDJ for this useful post: Hushpower (10-09-2022)
10-09-2022, 10:56 PM
Free Member

Your tape looks like a second gen dub judging by the sudden color tone change between the scenes, Therefore there is a little room there for improvement, I hope the top frame flagging is not baked in, That can be fixed by a line TBC.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: CaptureDJ (10-10-2022)
10-10-2022, 06:39 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Your tape looks like a second gen dub judging by the sudden color tone change between the scenes, Therefore there is a little room there for improvement, I hope the top frame flagging is not baked in, That can be fixed by a line TBC.
Thanks for the reply. The tape is an original not a copy if that makes any difference. I’ll give it a go with my ES15 and hope the flagging is removed.
10-10-2022, 07:04 AM
Free Member

It also sounds like the sound is overdriven (unless it's like that on the tape). If possible, reduce the volume of the capture device, if that's not possible you would need something external to send the audio through that can reduce the volume a bit. Some cards don't let you adjust volume at all in windows (Diamond VC500 and others using similar hardware), and some (empia chipset like the ATI 600 and at least earlier roxios) can only be adjusted with a registry edit.

A ES15 or similar should help with the flagging/wobblyness yeah.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: CaptureDJ (10-10-2022)
10-10-2022, 03:54 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
It also sounds like the sound is overdriven...
Thanks, I was curious about the sound to but didn't want to confuse matters... And now I need to learn about registry edits! So much to learn!