Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-22-2023, 10:48 AM
Free Member

Hello everyone! I hope someone can offer some advice, I am at my wits end and I would welcome any assistance...

I have a Sony Video8 VCR model EV-A50, and I play purchased prerecorded (commercially manufactured studio) tapes of motion pictures.

When I play a video, the screen resembles what the old style VHS VCR's used to do when they needed you to adjust the playback tracking - excessive screen noise, white noise bars, etc. - and I have taken the owner's manual apart.

The only tracking adjustment in the manual is for an adjustment during still frame, and 2X speed. I opened the case and carefully cleaned the heads with isopropyl, then tried again, no change. And trying to adjust the tracking in one of those two special modes has no effect.

Can anyone please offer a bit of advice on this? I would very much appreciate it and be quite thankful.

Thank you again, and have a terrific day!

Mike
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-22-2023, 02:23 PM
Free Member

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...ky-video8.html

The above thread discusses the issue. Since the issue exists with commercial prerecorded tapes it suggests your VCR may be misaligned (e.g., drum tilt is off compared to the tape path) and mechanical alignment maybe in order.

HOWEVER: One test to try first. Does the VCR record and then playback the tape you recorded on it OK? If you see the same problem the issue likely rests in the VCR's playback tracking detection circuits. (The VCR is close to 30 years old, came out in 1992, and dates to an era that may have used suspect SMD caps.)

Tags
playback, sony, tracking, video8