Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-06-2024, 01:00 PM
Free Member

Long time lurker first time poster. I have read a ton of information on here and I have learned a lot, but I feel my issue is quite specific. Here is a run down of a project I am working on and my work flow as of right now.

I am attempting to capture classic arcade cabinet game play specifically using a VHS & S-VHS camcorders of the same era. I am basically using a camcorder to record a CRT screen. The video below was captured and processed in the following order......

Recorded using S-VHS camcorder direct to S-VHS tape. Tape is then played back from the camcorder through a Panasonic es15 and into a Pinnacle 510-usb capture device. This specific clip was captured in virtualdub with no compression and the deinterlace filter of Blend and keep bottom field was used it was exported without compression as well I then used handbrake to convert to mp4.

I have also tried the pinnacle studio 12 software that was included with this capture device and I get similar results, but possibly slightly better (may be placebo) although it seems to do a lot of the deinterlacing in the background and I haven't found where to change or adjust any of that yet. I have played with all the different deinterlacing filters in virtualdub, as well as spent a lot of time adjusting the cont, bright, saturation, and sharpness levels before capturing. So far this is the best that I am able to create.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/nz1vn...=0pmhy5o9&dl=0

I realize that the biggest part of a finished product is what you start with, and I'm not against buying a better camera, but that seems to be pretty hard to nail down what's "better" from that era and staying within the VHS format. I really appreciate any and all advice you may have. I am still quite a novice and most of the terminology goes over may head so if you need to get super technical try to keep it in the simplest language possible, lol thanks again

I would also like to add that I would like to try and take my current gear as far as possible as I don't have $2k + to drop on a TBC and would prefer not to drop $900-$1500 on a VCR.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors