Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-11-2017, 11:32 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

We're making some forums changes this month and next.

The two big changes are this:
- new responsive/mobile theme is now developed, looks great on Android phone, iPad, etc!
- https to stop the scary security nags from Chrome/Firefox

But here's two questions for you:

1. What annoys you about the forum?
2. What should NOT be changed? Meaning that it works quite well as is!

Remember, the forum is based on vBulletin, and some basic functions of a forum cannot be changed. Anti-spam, security, and CloudFlare also imposes some limitations.

But we are working with some designers and devs to make it what we need, doing what's possible.

We're mostly looking for design change suggestions.
Examples:
- remove useless stuff (extra words, icons, images, etc)
- move important stuff to better/obvious locations
- make something bigger or smaller (fonts, etc) -- specifics on where, please!

Screenshots welcome.

And if anybody here is good at vBulletin php/plugin development, PM me. There is a small issue I'm not having any luck with. The code snippet should work, yet it is not.

Thanks for any input you care to give.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-13-2017, 04:21 AM
Premium Member

Perhaps an easier way to make attached files immediately visible on threads, instead of a link to download? Of course I may be missing something here. I used to know how to make my attachments visible, but can't find how to do that anymore. Getting fumble brained!..First grade teacher called me her "Absent Minded Professor"!

-Yippee! To the android improvements!
-Currently the text input box for "Quick Reply" is simply not tall enough, (on my android anyway) have to switch to "Go Advanced" (a minor thing?) to see paragraph of what I am typing, plus text is very large while inputting.
--Quote: move important stuff to better/obvious locations? End Quote...Which to me, might be an Actual FAQ section? That might contain Some success stories, or hardware/software set-ups that have worked well for others Recently, plus maybe quotes from the DFAQ Guides, or shortcuts to parts of the guides contained within those FAQ's? And yes, I know, many actual FAQ sections on many sites never seem to have the answer for a particular problem the user is having or looking for.
07-13-2017, 04:47 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
We've been discussing removing most forum stickies, and instead putting those into an FAQ --
- either per section,
- or as single sub-forum.
If single location, each could be somehow marked as GENERAL, VIDEO, PHOTO, WEBDEV, with subcategories (ie, VIDEO: Capture, VIDEO: Restore). A single page for all of them.

That would then free up the subforums from having 5-15 slots taken up at the top. I don't like to have more than 3-4 stickies max per section, and it's gotten out of hand.

^ How does that sound to you?

The entire frontend of this site is being redone as FAQ, and not in blog form as it is now. Important threads from the forum will be listed there, too.

We're also adding several glossaries and lists. For example, video terms (overscan, stabmod(), herringbone, etc). I'm both coding and filling in the info on some of them. It takes a lot of time, but will be nice when done. I was wanting to recruit some of the more knowledgeable members here to help fill in some info, and even issued a few login credentials to these "glossary mods", but so far none have.

The attachment thing is the paperclip. Both it and smileys don't always show in quick reply, and that annoys me. It's on my fix it list, things I need here. I don't like going into full reply mode very often.

I have an Android 6 phone with both Firefox and Chrome. I've not seen any font size issues, but I'll look again.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-13-2017, 04:10 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post

1. What annoys you about the forum?
Annoy is perhaps harsh . What some happens sometimes when I am fabricating a reply is

a. select reply
b. edit out all the words not pertaining to what I am to reply to from the "quote" that shows up in the reply to thread box.
c. select preview post to see if the edited version of the reply 'Quote" came out correctly
d. oops get message

Quote:
The following errors occurred with your submission:

1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
e. either write something or copy and paste something in reply to thread box.
f. select preview post to see if the edited version of the reply 'Quote" came out
g. if enough new text is there then the preview window shows.
h. proof read message
g. submit message.

Its not a big deal I have learned to predict it.
Am I complaining? Not.
07-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

Sounds great!...An FAQ on the FAQ!...Would help both new viewers, plus ones like me who get side-tracked with life events, then come back a few months later, and need to quickly look up info again, without searching thru past threads and posts.

Perhaps 2 separate categories, one for asking questions about processing capped video files for streaming or Web use, The other for DVD or TV use? I have been asked several times if I'm preparing my video for uploading to Web or for TV/DVD, might help streamline things a bit?
07-16-2017, 12:17 PM
Free Member

As I am perusing the forum picking up bits of wisdom, a persistent idea keeps popping back in my head. I should be creating flow charts of the process as I digest that information. Why, Because I usually wont remember all the details/ order of operations and have to go back into research mode very often. Heck sometimes I forget most of it.

A one size fits all flowchart to make any video manipulation is not what I am talking about. It will not negate the need to go back and re read stuff. I am thinking more of getting a quick start on a project type of flowchart.

My flowchart would be specific task oriented and include many of the steps and required equipment and in my case which computer I would be using. I have a windows flow chart app on one of my PCs that would make it look clean.

Maybe this forum could have flow chart area.

Dumb idea?
07-16-2017, 12:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

I wrote several workflow guides, but they're not done or live. It's almost too much for me to do at times.

Any specific workflow(s) you're pursuing?

07-17-2017, 12:41 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I wrote several workflow guides, but they're not done or live. It's almost too much for me to do at times.

Any specific workflow(s) you're pursuing?
The workflow guides are excellent. I am not thinking of a specific workflow but a kind of memory aid for the several workflows that are required.

I made up a test flowchart of the kind I was thinking of. It is attached. It is not technically accurate just an example. This one is regarding mini DV copying.

This chart is made with Visio. I exported it as a PDF as a JPEG would take a lot of pixels to be readable. It only is helpful to me if I put some anecdotal things and some specific things in it that I need to remember. If I do get back to copying another mini DV tape it could save me some time not having to relearn/remember things.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf example only not technically accurate.pdf (165.1 KB, 11 downloads)
07-17-2017, 02:15 AM
Site Staff | Video

I like it. But how to display on a webpage? Hmmm...

(And you're right, some issues, not entirely accurate. Perhaps in another post, we could go over it?)

07-21-2017, 10:50 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
https to stop the scary security nags from Chrome/Firefox
Its OK to have HTTPS but dont force it please!

Some browsers will not be able to connect directly if you do this and there is NO REASON TO.. Nothing on this site requires SSL!!

There is no credit card #s here,there is no sensitive data here...... Sites that use SSL for no reason only benefit those who wanna track people! (Google,etc)

SSL is mainly for banking sites....

https://www.cellar.org has an HTTPS layer (Also VBB) but they also allow HTTP (www.cellar.org) (If someone goes to the site in an HTTP session the site WILL STAY in an HTTP session)

Please dont listen to the BS firefox is spewing..... They have been causing alot of problems for no reason...

I mean what information are we worried about securing here? Our posts are readable by all by design. People hopefully arent sending people PMs with thier social security and credit card numbers...

I mean this site doesnt store any sensitive information. You dont give them your real name or address,much less your SS or CC numbers. You arent even required to give a real active email (One you check all the time),except for moderators and even that can be created for this purpose only. There is no option to hide your posts one way or another so its your own choice what you want to reveal here.

What needs to be secured is access to digitalfaqs servers and that can be taken care of without https. (And it doesnt risk blocking anyone either)

I mean this site did not suddenly become particularly unsafe. The message FF spews only appears because sites are not using https and its sad people are jumping on it like its the end of the world.....
07-22-2017, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

Wonderful to hear about the changes. Thanks in advance for all the efforts to everyone involved!

To optimally organize the volume of info on this forum would seem an impossible task. This problem is universal to so many great resources on the internet. I'm speaking of the Video Project Help portion of the forum, which is the biggest area of traffic. As I weed through all of the posts to find the treasures within, I keep track of who said it, thread name, and date in a notebook (or save the page digitally). I accept that this is just the nature of web forums. It's the equivalent of taking a highlighter to a 1000 page book. It is also an iterative process, and keeping data organized is a struggle.

Certainly having a central download page where the most valuable (or most downloaded) thread attachments such as filters, plugins, scripts, configuration files, etc. that have been posted would be welcome. The original thread could be referenced if there is valuable info to go along with it.

A big challenge is not only the sheer volume of posts, but the several year time period it spans. I am in no way saying older posts/data should be removed, as some of this is still very valuable. I'm trying to say that as I read threads and take notes, I sometimes see individual's opinions change (or they have learned more since their prior posts) on what is best or what methods/tools they are using. So I assume that the most recent opinions/methods from an individual should override what they have said previously. Certainly this could be problematic when a more recent non-sticky post has something different from what a several year old sticky post might say to the contrary. Either a FAQ page, or perhaps in a user's profile (more easy to update ?), could contain basics like what tools they prefer/recommend for a specific job (I know there are lots of facets to improving video, so this could be large). Of course we all have the freedom to use whatever, but so many of the newbies come here for the current recommendations from those they trust, and also to save themselves a lot of trial/error. This is part of the larger problem of how to alleviate the most common questions being asked repeatedly, and also keeping those answers up to date as views change.

Personally, some of the most valuable data is in the "example" threads scattered about the various sub-forums of the Video Project Help forum. What I mean by "example" threads are those where a user posts their sample clip, then more experienced users reply with their work on that clip. This work includes scripts, screen captures, resulting output clips, and sometimes text book like explanations of what has been done. Since they are on multiple forums, a single sticky thread may not work. But, something like a sticky thread which could reference the great "example" threads, which can take a lot of time to track down. Also, a new sub-forum exclusively for posting sample clips where more experienced members reply with their feedback/examples would really help future readers find these treasure trove threads more easily. I have a list of about 15 currently that I need to get back to and learn from. I am sure there are more I haven't found yet. I have to keep a list, because I may not easily find it again. Another reason they may not be easily found is because the title of the thread can be very different from what's covered. Most are so information dense, that even a revised title may not be enough. I don't know if other newbies are this way, but I think these are threads to be studied like an FAQ page (and are often more recent currently). Maybe other newbies just post their sample clips without first reviewing these "example" threads. But I would tend to look for existing example threads first, and post if I had a different problem. If these threads were more easily found, perhaps it could reduce the number of new "example" threads posted, which would reduce the burden on the select few that spend so much time replying to these threads.

Anyway, thanks again for the efforts to improve the forum. Looking forward to it!
07-23-2017, 06:29 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

This is all really good stuff. Keep the feedback coming.

I wanted to reply to this one real quick:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Its OK to have HTTPS but dont force it please!
Some browsers will not be able to connect directly if you do this and there is NO REASON TO.. Nothing on this site requires SSL!!
there is no sensitive data here
Unfortunately, the site has too many moving parts. The main reason we put off SSL for so long was because it would be an all-or-none situation. So it's been none for years now. Between SEO considerations, Google penalties, and now browser nuisances, we have to go pure SSL, and will entirely redirect http to https.

Clients and Premium Members alike could easily argue "no sensitive data" (as in "not for public consumption", as posted in their tickets and the Premium subforum). Though, as you point out, non-financial in nature.

I wrote about SSL earlier in 2017: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...html#post48232
As you can read, I'm not fond of SSL for no reason myself.

What browsers are you worried about not supported SSL?

And yes, it will be modern SNI implementation of SSL, but non-supporting browsers are really old, less than 1% of internet traffic.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
07-24-2017, 04:00 PM
Free Member

Well ill be able to get here thru a proxy still if I wanted.. (Im on IE6 (MYIE2) as I am very concerned with my privacy......)

Ya know what ya could do?

Cloudfare has support FOR ALL BROWSERS with thier "No browser left behind" HTTPS program.... You could do that and then every browser (If someone else vesides me is running one that doesnt have the latest certs) can directly get on

Heres a link about it..

http://blog.cloudflare.com/sha-1-dep...er-left-behind

www.davidicke.com/forum uses it and a few others I have seen....

And I guess your right about the paid members here.... They do have semi sensitive data stored..
07-31-2017, 04:45 PM
Premium Member

May be minor, but on Android with Chrome browser, the "smiles" added to replies, appear very tiny, or only about 1/3rd as tall as the text
07-31-2017, 05:03 PM
Premium Member

This may be more of a site thing than a forum thing? Here's what I see on my Android-Chrome browser, after hitting the "Guides" tab on top of Web page. See attachment below.

Also when hitting the "Forum" tab, the drop down selection box dissappears, after less than a second, but forum page does pop up after that.

Maybe the new Mobil feature will fix especially the "Guides" thing?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-07-31-14-48-58.jpg (126.0 KB, 5 downloads)

Last edited by rocko; 07-31-2017 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Add
08-03-2017, 05:24 AM
Premium Member

One of the more confusing things, in the past few years, for me anyway, has been the kind of opposing opinions/advice of what video editing software to use, between sanlyn and lordsmurf, especially in reference to the (older?) guides???