Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
07-07-2019, 08:01 AM
VideoTechMan VideoTechMan is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 186
Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Hello everyone, been awhile since I have posted here. Lots of changes in the past year, having gotten property in the country among other things. For a few years I have been obsessive in obtaining alot of video gear in regards to VHS/SVHS captures and have acquired alot of parts and systems to accomplish them. But as of late, I am considering the idea of selling some of it off, as I have got more stuff than I have time to work with now, and some stuff I no longer use. I am also trying to downsize what I have so that I can incorporate an HD based workflow since I aim to work with video professionally. I could try to sell them but it depends on what the value of them may be in today's market.

To start, I have built 3 XP machines for video capture, one was an Intel based build and the other two were AMD based. They all have the ATI AGP cards with the purple dongles. I have however dismantled all of the systems except for one so its just the motherboard, RAM and the video card with the dongle. Not sure what the going value of these are but they are still fully functional, just would need to add your hard drive, power supply and case. And I am sure an copy of XP can still be had somewhere.

Next is the video decks. I have a good number of video decks, some broadcast, and I have four of the Panasonic SVHS decks (two of the AG-1980, and the 5710). I had one of each serviced by TGrant, while the other two has not as of yet, but still fully functional (displays are still bright). Just haven't had the time or funds to have the other two decks serviced so its possible I may let them go. However I think I will keep one pair of them of the same model (the 5710 since I have the edit controller for them). I have not yet decided on the 1980s yet, but I also have the edit controller for those also. Ironically, the decks I had serviced by TGrant still works great, and wonderful picture, but the front display has dimmed again but not worried about them since I use the edit controller, I don't really need to look at the display.

TBCs. I do have two TBC units, the Leitch DPS-575 which still works well and I had replaced the exhaust fan on it. It is a decent unit to convert analog sources to digital via SDI if you have that in your workflow, and also has S-Video input. Also have the Feral A 4:2:2 TBC unit; both are rackmount units but with the Feral unit its silent with no fan, has proc amp controls and has S-Video in and output. It does stabilize the signal so it could be used for consumer workflows. You do not have to use the Genlock on these devices, nor are they required for transfer work as they are only used when using them in actual broadcast environments and video switching. I no longer need either of these units since I now have the AJA FS1 which takes care of everything I need, including up/down conversions if needed. I know the rackmount TBC's are usually not recommended, but these DPS-575 and Feral units can work depending on your workflow. Otherwise I possible may just scrap them since I know there isn't much demand for them.

The last item I may have on the chopping block is the ADVC-3000 (no, not the 300....3000) which is the highest end broadcast version of the DV converter. Bought new a few years ago and hasn't seen much use as I don't convert my stuff to DV. However, I have discovered that I can use the component input on the device and have it directly output to SDI, bypassing the DV conversion so it would be the full 4:2:2 quality on that end. There may not be much, if any demand for this device either so should anyone have any interest just let me know.

Its obvious that the world for the most part has gone digital so alot of the analog stuff is slowly fading from existence, and its getting much harder to find anyone that can service this old gear. Personally I love the broadcast stuff because of all the mechanics involved in seeing them run. Digital....not as exciting.

Lastly, I know that many use and trust PayPal, but I am not one of them. I have been burned by them more than once in the past, so therefore I no longer use them for anything, except to pay for purchases on ebay which doesn't require an account.

Apologies for the lengthy post, but if there's any market/value for some of the stuff I have listed, I will see about possibly listing them for sale. Otherwise I probably will just scrap them (not the Panny VCR decks of course).
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Ads / Sponsors
 
Join Date: ∞
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
08-03-2019, 05:41 PM
Blender Blender is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: St louis Mo
Posts: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had PMed you regarding some of the Equip
Reply With Quote
  #3  
08-04-2019, 12:40 AM
latreche34 latreche34 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 3,199
Thanked 527 Times in 487 Posts
It takes time to prepare and sell the equipment so you have to be patient to get the most dollar out of it, I'm little familiar with VCR's I sold quite few on ebay, I can tel you don't even bother with VHS unless it's a multistandard those do bring some cash, I've sold a Toshiba PAL/NTSC/PAL60 for almost $200. Unistandard VHS is like $15 it's not worth the shipping which runs you over $50.
S-VHS in the other hand has some value for the people who know what it is obviously and those people prefer TBC and DNR, I've sold S-VHS non TBC fully restored for around $80 plus shipping, If I didn't get it for free I would never had made a profit. S-VHS TBC can be sold for more than $200.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
08-04-2019, 08:24 AM
VideoTechMan VideoTechMan is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 186
Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
I had PMed you regarding some of the Equip
Replied. Check PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
It takes time to prepare and sell the equipment so you have to be patient to get the most dollar out of it, I'm little familiar with VCR's I sold quite few on ebay, I can tel you don't even bother with VHS unless it's a multistandard those do bring some cash, I've sold a Toshiba PAL/NTSC/PAL60 for almost $200. Unistandard VHS is like $15 it's not worth the shipping which runs you over $50.
S-VHS in the other hand has some value for the people who know what it is obviously and those people prefer TBC and DNR, I've sold S-VHS non TBC fully restored for around $80 plus shipping, If I didn't get it for free I would never had made a profit. S-VHS TBC can be sold for more than $200.
Yep that's true. Since my OP and not able to edit it I have sold some of the items I originally posted on for a good fair price. All of the decks I have that are sell worthy would usually be SVHS models. VHS units is pretty much worthless on the open market. What the majority of folks are looking for on this forum now are good SVHS decks and TBC's which are becoming harder to find now, and eBay is getting full of more dishonest sellers that tend to lie about the deck's true condition and overpricing them, not to mention that they need servicing. I usually don't bother with eBay for selling anyway because its an anti-seller environment plus the fees.

So while I am at it, I will update what I have sold in case anyone else is looking:

x2 Panasonic AG-1980 decks - SOLD
Feral A 4:2:2 external TBC - SOLD
XP System with Intel MB (and related components) - SOLD

If I decide to put up anymore items for sale I'll post them in the Marketplace of the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
08-04-2019, 06:24 PM
latreche34 latreche34 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 3,199
Thanked 527 Times in 487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoTechMan View Post
Replied. Check PM.

Yep that's true. Since my OP and not able to edit it I have sold some of the items I originally posted on for a good fair price. All of the decks I have that are sell worthy would usually be SVHS models. VHS units is pretty much worthless on the open market. What the majority of folks are looking for on this forum now are good SVHS decks and TBC's which are becoming harder to find now, and eBay is getting full of more dishonest sellers that tend to lie about the deck's true condition and overpricing them, not to mention that they need servicing. I usually don't bother with eBay for selling anyway because its an anti-seller environment plus the fees.

So while I am at it, I will update what I have sold in case anyone else is looking:

x2 Panasonic AG-1980 decks - SOLD
Feral A 4:2:2 external TBC - SOLD
XP System with Intel MB (and related components) - SOLD

If I decide to put up anymore items for sale I'll post them in the Marketplace of the forum.
If you have any TBC unit that you are aware of than it can fix rolling frames in a bad or worn tapes please do post it in the market place, I'm looking for one.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
08-05-2019, 04:35 AM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is online now
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 13,360
Thanked 2,431 Times in 2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoTechMan View Post
Lots of changes in the past year
Yep, we all get older. Maybe wiser?

The real value of a capture system is being a system. So just parts are worth parts. A good ready-to-use capture system can fetch $500+, but takes time to build and debug. That's why I don't really mess with it anymore, too much time involved. At least the ATI have all the parts. Motherboard values depend on the board, CPU and RAM attached.

A serviced/re-capped AG-1980 is about $800 these days. Not cheap. Not to buy, not to own, not to maintain. The AG-1980 really is a money pit. Nice VCR, but huge money pit.

Those TBCs just are not recommended.
We had the DPS-575 at one point, but mixed results, ultimately sold it. I don't remember to who (you?), and it was 7+ years ago. And that was the "best" performing unit I'd ever seen, whereas most are just outright junk. Too big, too sharp, more trouble than it was worth. The Cypress and DataVideo really just outperform those for consumer analog sources. It seems a shame to scrap them, I'm sure they have some value to somebody, either for video nostalgia/research, or just to gamble on avoiding good TBCs.

Some folks still like SDI, which bewilders me (1990s methodology, as is DV transfer), but it has some value as well.

Analog isn't fading. Maybe from mainstream daily use, but still a healthy need and want for it.

There are a number of Paypal alternatives out there. Like you, I try to avoid Paypal, as they are not a true financial institution. They are a middleman payment service, and have far more transaction rules (some mandated, some made up) than a true financial institution does. It's why they've been falling out of favor in recent years, and why even eBay will be dumping them in 2020 when their contract expires. I know, ironic, seeing as how eBay used to own Paypal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
If you have any TBC unit that you are aware of than it can fix rolling frames in a bad or worn tapes
Emphasis on "can".
It really depends on the cause of the "rolling" error.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Reply With Quote
  #7  
08-05-2019, 09:38 AM
VideoTechMan VideoTechMan is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 186
Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Yep, we all get older. Maybe wiser?
Yeah we strive to be wiser as we age for the next generation..lol. Funny thing is some people tend to see things much differently as they get older, and can often see the things younger people don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The real value of a capture system is being a system. So just parts are worth parts. A good ready-to-use capture system can fetch $500+, but takes time to build and debug. That's why I don't really mess with it anymore, too much time involved. At least the ATI have all the parts. Motherboard values depend on the board, CPU and RAM attached.
Yeah usually its best for those to just sell the components that we know will work, and the end user can customize it to their requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
A serviced/re-capped AG-1980 is about $800 these days. Not cheap. Not to buy, not to own, not to maintain. The AG-1980 really is a money pit. Nice VCR, but huge money pit.
Wow really? I remember TGrant was still charging around $400+ a pop for full service. The Panny decks are plagued with the cap issues (but then again so are some of the Sony decks) but since they are one of few decks that are recommended for video work, other than the JVC models its the best way to go. I still have my AG-5710's and plan to keep them. Since they weren't as common as the 1980's I was able to get these decks in better condition. I still need to service my second 5710, then I should be set for hopefully years to come. I bought the edit controller for both decks (which somehow I scored NOS from BH sometime back) so should the displays dim over time, I won't be worried nor need them since I can use the controller to do what I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Those TBCs just are not recommended.
We had the DPS-575 at one point, but mixed results, ultimately sold it. I don't remember to who (you?), and it was 7+ years ago. And that was the "best" performing unit I'd ever seen, whereas most are just outright junk. Too big, too sharp, more trouble than it was worth. The Cypress and DataVideo really just outperform those for consumer analog sources. It seems a shame to scrap them, I'm sure they have some value to somebody, either for video nostalgia/research, or just to gamble on avoiding good TBCs.
The DPS-575 doesn't exactly fit the profile of many users trying to do simple transfers. Based on the 575's history it was mostly meant for facilities during the digital switchover to convert their stuff to DV. But, in my short testing of the unit, the TBC function of the 575 does work well since I can see the luma video level fluctuate (macrovision) during the transfer. But in all honesty I haven't used the unit that much, mostly because of the fan noise, which would be fine in a machine room where that kind of noise can be isolated from the work area. Plus the 'optional' features like the NR and DV function were never unlocked, and never really needed them anyway. I've used it mostly to convert to SDI for output.

I had the DataVideo TBC-1000 years ago, and regrettably sold it. I've heard some say the 1000 softens and degrades the image (according to one poster on Creative Cow) and some models of it don't. I never had one of the Cypress models. Now I have the AJA FS1, which is the only TBC frame sync device with S-Video jacks. Not a VCR size either and controllable via PC through the local LAN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Some folks still like SDI, which bewilders me (1990s methodology, as is DV transfer), but it has some value as well.
Yes SDI first appeared in the BetacamSP decks and ENG broadcast cameras (I have one of them)....it definitely has its value. There's alot of different flavors of SDI now, all the way from its original implementation to 12G-SDI (which would be equivalent to 4K resolution). Plus both video and audio can be embedded in the same signal and transmitted as such to different production environments. The main thing is that SDI comes as an uncompressed full quality signal, which is why its only found on pro level equipment. The evil Nazi's didn't want common folks to freely copy their material on whatever device they wanted so that's why SDI was never found on any consumer-level equipment. In my case, it makes it easier to transfer my material to the PC with one cable like HDMI, but without the HDCP bullcrap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Analog isn't fading. Maybe from mainstream daily use, but still a healthy need and want for it.
Analog isn't going anywhere. Maybe not mainstream like you said, but it will always be there. Heck I am restoring two record turntables now for a vintage listening room setup. But then again I primarily grew up in the analog era so I still have a strong interest in that area. Digital to me is mostly for convienience, but analog is when you want to get involved with your media and its history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
There are a number of Paypal alternatives out there. Like you, I try to avoid Paypal, as they are not a true financial institution. They are a middleman payment service, and have far more transaction rules (some mandated, some made up) than a true financial institution does. It's why they've been falling out of favor in recent years, and why even eBay will be dumping them in 2020 when their contract expires. I know, ironic, seeing as how eBay used to own Paypal.
I personally hate PayPal and all of its ilk. They enjoy holding your money hostage while they rake in the interest off your money, and basically lock you in a deathhold when they limit your account. I eventually hope they drop out of severe favor over time. I discovered better ways to transfer funds instantly without the hostage holding where I don't have to wait 21 days to get paid (try telling the IRS on the due date that they will have to wait 3 weeks to get their money......). Its about time eBay is finally going to dump PP, but they are still an anti-seller based company since any griping a buyer does the seller automatically gets penalized. Not any justice there!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
08-05-2019, 10:16 AM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is online now
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 13,360
Thanked 2,431 Times in 2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoTechMan View Post
Wow really? I remember TGrant was still charging around $400+ a pop for full service.
The $800 amount includes the deck. The $450 is the shipped re-cap work. It's why getting your own deck for under $200 can be a bargain, then having him service it, total comes out to the $600s, similar to the best JVCs I've had available.

I remember when the rate was closer to $300.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Reply With Quote
  #9  
08-05-2019, 02:40 PM
latreche34 latreche34 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 3,199
Thanked 527 Times in 487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Emphasis on "can".
It really depends on the cause of the "rolling" error.
I don't know what caused the frame rolling problem, The tape played fine few years ago, a member here with a similar problem started a thread so I posted there and all tests that I have done.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
08-06-2019, 09:13 AM
VideoTechMan VideoTechMan is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 186
Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The $800 amount includes the deck. The $450 is the shipped re-cap work. It's why getting your own deck for under $200 can be a bargain, then having him service it, total comes out to the $600s, similar to the best JVCs I've had available.

I remember when the rate was closer to $300.
Ah, gotcha. When I got the 5710, I had gotten them for around $100-150 but they were in decent shape (even display was bright). Having one serviced my end cost was around $550 for everything. So that would make sense in that case.

Only if one had gotten those decks for free would they possibly save the most.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rules for Selling Video/Photo/Audio Gear in the Marketplace admin Marketplace 4 11-14-2023 06:08 PM
Manuals for JVC video gear, used for restoring video [DOWNLOADS] robjv1 Video Hardware Repair 1 02-11-2011 04:19 PM
Manuals for Panasonic video restoring gear - DVD recorders, VCRs [DOWNLOADS] robjv1 Video Hardware Repair 1 09-01-2010 12:57 AM
Manuals for Sign Video/Studio 1 video gear, used for restoring video [DOWNLOADS] robjv1 Video Hardware Repair 1 08-20-2010 01:19 PM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM