Go Back    Forum > Digital Photography > Photo Cameras: Buying & Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

I was told to get a good backpack for this camera when I am riding my bike, I would like something under $60.00, that will not weigh me down, & can carry an extra lens & other accessories. I would prefer that is not too big either, I am not very big my self, so when it is on my back, it does not swallow me up. Also, it would be nice to be able to hang it from my handle bars, or even put in my back pod compartment to give a clear picture; this is what I have on my back bike rack: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000GTRJCM

I usually put my purse in here, but may be able to shift things around.

Last edited by kpmedia; 11-20-2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: fixed typo in thread title
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I'm considering this bag for hiking: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002VPE1WK
I'll carry water bottles, food, etc., in it, too -- not just camera gear.
Is that too large for you?

It's really cheap compared to Lowepro backpacks: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000YA1DS4
As much as I like Lowepro shoulder bags for my gear, I may go for non-Lowepro this time.

This is a pretty neat small backpack: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002ISXBFI
Hmmm... I rather like that one, too. I could see myself using this on sidelines. (I hate photo vests. Feels too much like I'm about to go fishing, and they look really silly.)

Unlike most photo stores, Amazon has a really nice selection of backpacks:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957

Tell me what you're thinking.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
11-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

The sling pack looks good, would a holster type bag be good? I would like something that I could quickly put the camera in & out of with a zoom lens on it, without having to take the lens on & off. It would also be nice if I could carry this around when I am riding my bike, or for longer walks.

I saw this amazon; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001TZWNF0

I am not sure, would this hold the d7000 with a zoom lens? & lens or two on the sides?
11-21-2010, 12:25 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Based on the images, that bag you've linked to looks a bit small, and it doesn't seem to be a backpack, but rather a shoulder bag (like a purse). I have shoulder bags, and they get obnoxious after a while. These are great for storing gear in the office or home, or carry around in the car, but a pest to actually carry around. For carrying a camera and lenses/supplies while working, pockets or backpacks are best. It's near impossible to work while stuff is dangling off your shoulder and getting under your elbows.

A sling is good, as long as it doesn't "unsling" itself under your arms or elbows while working, like a shoulder bag would do. Much of that depends on how it fits your body type, and how well you've adjusted the straps on it. Slings are easier to access gear from, as opposed to a full-on backpack.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
11-21-2010, 04:38 AM
Premium Member

can you link me to a good sling? I am sort of petite in size, about 5'3", & in addition, I usually carry a cross body style purse on me, with shoulder straps. I am a bit heavy as well, so something that would not tire me too much on longer walks with my purse, but easy to get to my camera quickly. Preferably something that is not too expensive, under $60.00.

Last edited by Sossity; 11-21-2010 at 04:45 AM.
11-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

I found these 2 bags, I am on the look for a good sling bag, as suggested, & have found some, I like that the lowepro bag does not look like a typical camera bag, I have read that one can sometimes become a target for thieves when they are lugging around bags that look like camera bags, or with camera names logos & companies on them.

a thing for to consider is I often carry my purse cross body style, with the strap coming from my right shoulder across to my left side. I like how the case logic goes the other way, if I wore it with my purse, it would not interfere. But I like the lowepro non camera bag look, I could even use it as my regular purse as well.

what ever I get, i want something that will not tire me too much or dig into my shoulder on long walks, but has easy quick access to the camera with a zoom lens on it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002ISXBFI

or this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0039NLS4C
11-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
I have read that one can sometimes become a target for thieves when they are lugging around bags that look like camera bags, or with camera names logos & companies on them.
That's just a myth. Anything that looks like it could hold anything of any value is what a thief will target. I've also heard the myth of "black bags" as if other colors would be less tempting to a crook. It's all naive horsefeathers, to be completely honest.

Quote:
a thing for to consider is I often carry my purse cross body style, with the strap coming from my right shoulder across to my left side. I like how the case logic goes the other way, if I wore it with my purse, it would not interfere. But I like the lowepro non camera bag look, I could even use it as my regular purse as well.
what ever I get, i want something that will not tire me too much or dig into my shoulder on long walks, but has easy quick access to the camera with a zoom lens on it.
You've presented good cases for either one. At this point, it's really a personal decision.

I'm not a female, and I would hate to have anything that even remotely resembled a purse, so for me, the Lowepro is out. For a woman photographer, the Lowepro looks to make a great purse + camera bag combo.

When I finally pick out my backpack, it will probably be a two-shoulder job because I want it for hiking, and want room for not just several lenses and bodies, but also food and water -- a bit too heavy for one-shoulder carrying. Possibly even some emergency supplies (flares, emergency heat blanket, heat pads, first aid, etc)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!