Go Back    Forum > Digital Photography > Photo Cameras: Buying & Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-22-2014, 08:10 PM
Free Member

One of my customers I record video for does firewalks each month. I did his last seminar back in May and while his talking portion has excellent lighting, during the outdoor firewalk at night, no external light comes out near pitch black while light on the coals either washes out the red and/or ruins the mood.

Not sure if there is a better board for this, but I'm sure the approaches to getting this coming out right will be similar. The photographer had an easier time because she could color correct her photos that used flash to come out pretty well, but its going to be impossible to use that much light consistently during the entire walk.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-24-2014, 02:26 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

What sort camera are you using?
Are we talking video or photo here -- this was posted in the photo forum.

I'd use a DSLR for this, because of the low-light glass available. I have a f/1.8 lens and my D3s can shoot 5 minutes bursts of 720p HD in almost no light thanks to its high ISOs. I've taken images and test videos at about ISO 25600 that are not bad. I used to setup a tripod on my back porch and shoot night animals about 30 feet away that were barely lit. (I don't live there anymore. I miss that.)

What you want can easily be done. It just cost more to buy what's needed to do it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
08-24-2014, 11:25 PM
Free Member

I use this for outdoor shots and have it set on a monopod:
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/HC-X920K

Not practical to use anything heavier as there is a lot of moving going on. I use a Sony FX7 for his presentations.

I work with a photographer and I could see if she has a B camera I can try before the event. I am nowhere near expert level but I have done something similar to what you are describing with an old Rebel.

I also have one of these for a last resort for video, but I don't think it will do shooting like you describe at the right rate:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSC-HX50V.../dp/B00CDIK48U
08-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

By "FX7", do you mean this camera -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...UN2TUKBU2JHY5J

Though the Sony HDR-FX7 is clearly nice, I'm still not sure about it's low-light abilities. And even being $2k+, it's still a consumer camera based on the features. I mentioned this because, of all the cameras listed here, it had the best chance to do anything decent in low light.

I just think it's an equipment issue.

Perhaps considered renting the equipment you need, if this is an occasional need?

The older Rebel would probably poop out at higher ISO needs. (Even a newer Rebel would, being an APC-S sensor.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
08-27-2014, 12:28 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
By "FX7", do you mean this camera -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...UN2TUKBU2JHY5J

Though the Sony HDR-FX7 is clearly nice, I'm still not sure about it's low-light abilities. And even being $2k+, it's still a consumer camera based on the features. I mentioned this because, of all the cameras listed here, it had the best chance to do anything decent in low light.

I just think it's an equipment issue.

Perhaps considered renting the equipment you need, if this is an occasional need?

The older Rebel would probably poop out at higher ISO needs. (Even a newer Rebel would, being an APC-S sensor.)
It's certainly an equipment issue, but the event is taking place in pitch black night with the only light coming from the coals, so the camera will either have to better than my eyes do as I can barely make out faces in the dark as it is, or I will need external light. Both cameras do well in the dark and I don't expect in this setting many cameras will do much better.

Renting equipment is an option, but because I am doing at most 2-3 scattered shoots a month outside of the summer and they are small, cyclical events, it doesn't make sense right now financially. I have been getting a good chunk of referrals so a purchase may make sense down the line. Most likely a Panasonic GH4 or Cannon C100/C300 with some sort of body stabilizer.

I can always record with a small bit of light and play with the reds after, but part of it is making sure it also doesn't ruin the atmosphere of the event.