Go Back    Forum > Digital Photography > Photo Processing, Scanning & Printing

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Free Member

I have some problems with my Kodak PS50 Picture scanner.

Picture 1: Scanned with top scanner (picture side up). There is a 1-2 cm light edge and rainbow effect along the edge. The rainbow effect is at the edge that goes first into the scanner. This is usually the top of the picture (but in this example the bottom to make it more visible). The rainbow effect is mainly seen in dark pictures

Picture 2: Scanned with bottom scanner (picture side down). Green (and sometimes blue and read) streaks in the picture. The error is periodically. It is in maybe 25% of the pictures, the streaks have different position for each picture.

Examples here
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au87Yx6urKlaiu9Y...JFeOA?e=urAr9F

I have tried to set "Image cleaner tool" on in the software, but it has no effect.
I have tried cleaning of the glass and mirror and cleaning with a cleaning paper that comes with the scanner, but no effect. I have tried different USB cables.

Any suggestions is highly appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg kodak-ps-50-2a.jpg (54.1 KB, 7 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-14-2019, 01:02 PM
Free Member

When we had green streaks on our Epson flatbed scanner I think it was caused by some dust in the calibration area on the scanner (and google suggests the same thing). Don't know where that sits on the PS50 though.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: jnielsen (09-14-2019)
09-14-2019, 02:34 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
When we had green streaks on our Epson flatbed scanner I think it was caused by some dust in the calibration area on the scanner (and google suggests the same thing). Don't know where that sits on the PS50 though.
I do not think the PS50 has a calibration area. However I think I have solved the problem with the green (and sometimes blue and read) streaks in the picture. Actually the problem is allready mentioned in the manual page 7-2 troubleshooting, it says "The scanner is dirty and needs to be cleaned. Refer to the “Cleaning procedures” in Chapter 5, Maintenance." I had allready tried to clean it with a cloth inside. But the thing is that each roller must be cleaned carefully and separately, step by step rotated and cleaned with a lint free cloth moistened with lukewarm water ( or the special Kodak Kodak Roller Cleaning Pads 5K6215 or 4C9069 ). Described in the manual page 5-2 to 5-6. Some of the big rollers must be taken out, and vacuumed behind them. Some of the small rollers sits more firmly and are a little difficult to rotate.
Like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUS8GWZQ4bY
The problem seems to be small particles on the rollers that are carried through the scanner.

I still have the problem with the rainbow effect on the front edge. I have an idea it could maybe be something on the lens or the mirror that is very difficult to clean. I am looking for a way to disassemble the upper part of the scanner.

Tags
kodak ps50, ps50, scanner, streaks