Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-24-2023, 06:18 AM
Free Member

I have a JVC dual VC (mini-DV and VHS). The DV side has developed a problem in that when I insert a tape, I can rewind it, play it, forward it etc. But when I stop and eject the tape does not get wound back and gets all messed up inside. If you pulll it out the the tape breaks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-24-2023, 07:26 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,469 Times in 2,100 Posts
It's a known engineering flaw, and will never work. Never use it. It will eat tapes forever, even if "fixed".

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-24-2023, 08:08 AM
Free Member

It did work before. It was a right work-horse. I had it for some 15 yrs and did a lotg of work on it.
The fault developed around 2018.
I still have a few tapes that need copying so could do with a fix if vialble.
04-24-2023, 08:29 AM
Site Staff | Video

It's not like DV cameras aren't readily available for $75 average on eBay, $100-200 range if you want a good model for recording with. eBay is an awful place for most video gear, but cameras can still be safely located. Just don't buy on price alone, ask questions, study the listing text and images carefully.

Developing a fault isn't surprising whatsoever, almost all units are this way, and have been since at least the 2010s. Even when these "worked", it was not as stable at playback as the cameras. Issues were common, be it glitches, failure to play, or whatever. These units have excellent S-VHS VCRs inside, but the DV aspect is pure crap.

It could "also play" DVCAM, but again, nowhere near as good as the recording camera did, or even a random other DVCAM.

04-24-2023, 08:58 AM
Free Member

Yes thats a good idea. Maybe a DV camcorder with firewire will do the trick.
Any suggestions on what to get?
Come to think of it I still have a Sony VX1000 lying around. No batteries or charger and not sure if it will fire up.
04-24-2023, 09:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

Canon ZR series are insanely cheap now.

04-24-2023, 10:16 AM
Free Member

The ZR ones are cheap but only those that do not work and on sale for parts only. The working models are quite expensive.
I think my best option is to find a charger/battery for the VX1000 and see it it will fire up.
04-24-2023, 11:42 AM
Site Staff | Video

Odd. I was looking at eBay this past weekend, helping a user to find a camera. I was actually shocked at how many functional and decent looking cameras were under $100. I saw few parts/broken Canon ZR cameras.

But I would agree. If you already have a camera, a charger is probably under $35. The VX1000 should be quite decent as well. Mere playback isn't a huge issue for DV.

04-24-2023, 05:19 PM
Free Member

MiniDV mechanisms (and tape) are relatively tiny and fragile. Easy to break as well as prone to wearing out (due in part to less material in them) compared to VHS or even Video8/Hi8.

In addition to the ZR series MiniDV camcorders canons, consider the HDV models (e,g., VIXA HV-20/30/40 etc.). They can give you both MiniDV and HDV tape playback capability and HD component analog output from live camera. Some may have HDMI output as well. However, be aware that burned out IEEE1394 ports are not uncommon in used cameras so be sure to verify that. Som m

If a tape is "stuck" in it you may be able to open the case and carefully manually unthread the tape. In any case I would not attempt to eject a tape except if it is fully rewound. Then if it is eaten only a bit of the start of the tape would be lost in rethreading it.

Always test tape players with a scratch tape you can afford to lose before using one with important recordings.
04-24-2023, 06:04 PM
Free Member

Most mechsanism failures are due to brittle plastic due to age, No engineer would have ever thought that these machines would be still in use after 3 or 4 decades, But since they are attached to our precious memories here we are still trying to keep them going. The fear now is not the tape degradation itself but rather the machines that play them back.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
04-24-2023, 07:06 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Most mechanism failures are due to brittle plastic due to age,
And the rubber and rubber-like parts. I think to all the lenses and bodies that had a rubber-like grip on them that have become sticky-goo with aging. And some plastic-like parts that have become soft and weak. (The solenoid linkage in Carousel projectors was an early case.)

[SoapBox]Like all things, recent production is not designed to last long. Old WesternElectric phones still work even through they are 70+ years old. Phones bought in the 1990s - many of not mostly kaput. Major appliances now last maybe 10 years, but a Hotpoint I bought 50 years ago is still going strong. [/SoapBox]
04-24-2023, 11:53 PM
Free Member

At least to a certain extenct you can replace a belt or a rubber tire ring, but a complicated plastic part is not easy without a huge effort.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
04-25-2023, 06:32 PM
Site Staff | Video

That's what an engineering flaw is. The materials used broke down far sooner than expected, before the targeted longevity, and thus was not reasonable. Those JVC DV decks tended to crap out immediately, though some last for years to a decade or so. Almost none survive now, regardless of the handling or care. Age and gravity take their toll on analog video gear, used or not.

Not being designed for a certain longevity still does not preclude build quality that allows it to happen. Here, the VCR has it, the DV does not.

Somewhere in this forum is a longer explanation of exactly what the issue is. I no longer remember the specifics, and it honestly does not matter.

05-02-2023, 09:33 AM
Free Member

I trawled the attic and got the VX1000 out. Found a couple of batteries and a 3rd party charger. I charged up the batteries and fired up the Vx1000. Couldnt believe it! It turned on first time. I was suspecting the heads to be damp and dirty but no. I inserted a DV tape and it played first time.
Vow! This camera had been lying in the attic for 12-13 years. But still works! Hats off to you Sony.

All that is left is to find a Firewire cable whic is lying around somewhere I am sure.