Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-28-2023, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

Hi all,

I hope things are going well for everyone. I have successfully completed my first capture from VHS. If there are any U2 fans here, I captured a portion of my father's original VHS recording of a Pay-Per-View broadcast of their ZOO TV Sydney concert. My workflow consisted of a JVC HR-S7800U --> Datavideo TBC-4000 --> ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0 --> Windows XP PC. I captured using VirtualDub and HuffyUV YUY2 to a lossless AVI file, and then I encoded to a mp4 file (not sure if I did that last step correctly) solely to attach below. I would really appreciate some help improving the capture.

I came across this thread where user @sanlyn created this awesome post with a before and after comparison of his beautiful restoration work on a similar TV broadcast. I would love to get that work out of my capture. He noted "The repair, restoration, telecine removal and color grading were done with free filters and tools from Avisynth and Virtualdub." I was hoping someone here knew the specifics on which filters to use and which settings to choose with said filters to achieve results similar to sanlyn's. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much!

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 test.mp4 (51.30 MB, 20 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-28-2023, 10:21 PM
Free Member

The red channel is clipped in the .mp4, it's causing skin tones to look wrong. If you could post a short clip of the original HuffYUV, it might be possible to fix it.

Clipboard01.png

The following users thank traal for this useful post: toastyplains (11-29-2023)
11-29-2023, 07:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traal View Post
The red channel is clipped in the .mp4, it's causing skin tones to look wrong. If you could post a short clip of the original HuffYUV, it might be possible to fix it.

Attachment 17138
Hi traal,

Thank you for the reply! I have attached a ten second clip of the original losslessly compressed AVI. I had actually forgot that I had used HuffyUV_MT (multi-threaded) to compress this capture. This was before I knew that the multi threaded variant may not be the best. I can certainly redo the capture with standard HuffyUV if necessary. Other than the fact that I used the multi-threaded variant, is there anything else wrong with my capture setup? Just trying to figure out what could cause this color issue. I have the Line TBC of the JVC VCR enabled, the Video Stabilizer and Calibration of the VCR is off, and Digital R3 is also off. The Picture Control is also set to auto. I really appreciate the help, thank you!

Attached Files
File Type: avi test.avi (63.80 MB, 21 downloads)

Last edited by toastyplains; 11-29-2023 at 07:42 AM.
11-29-2023, 11:08 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traal View Post

Attachment 17138
Just curious, how did you determine the red is clipped specifically?
11-29-2023, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

With VirtualDub filters, there are multiple ways to correct.

I corrected quickly and then encoded with Ripbot264. We can certainly do better (see attached file)

Attached Files
File Type: mkv test.encode.mkv (7.30 MB, 22 downloads)
The following users thank qwertz73 for this useful post: toastyplains (11-29-2023)
11-29-2023, 11:21 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertz73 View Post

I corrected quickly and then encoded with Ripbot264. We can certainly do better (see attached file)
Definitely an improvement for sure! Which filters did you use and is there a particular guide you generally follow when restoring video? There's so many filters in virtualdub that it's hard to tell exactly what does what and what some of the downsides are (assume things like image softening etc) of each filter.

Lastly, I know virtualdub2 isn't recommended for actual capture, but on the video restoration side, are there any downsides to using the newer version of virtualdub?
11-29-2023, 01:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

Wow, this is an amazing start! Thank you for the time you put into this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramkolt View Post
Definitely an improvement for sure! Which filters did you use and is there a particular guide you generally follow when restoring video? There's so many filters in virtualdub that it's hard to tell exactly what does what and what some of the downsides are (assume things like image softening etc) of each filter.

Lastly, I know virtualdub2 isn't recommended for actual capture, but on the video restoration side, are there any downsides to using the newer version of virtualdub?
I echo @aramkolt; which filters were used here? Thank you for any information you can provide! And thank you to everyone for the helpful replies.
11-29-2023, 02:25 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastyplains View Post
Wow, this is an amazing start! Thank you for the time you put into this!

I echo @aramkolt; which filters were used here? Thank you for any information you can provide! And thank you to everyone for the helpful replies.
One of the big advancements in quality you'll see is from the actual deinterlacing with QTGMC which can be done pretty easily through the Hybrid app (that's the detelecine he describes) - though that is usually the final step after you've gotten any sort of filters/color correction/editing done. I'm less sure of the appropriate ways to use various virtualdub filters or other Hybrid features beyond cropping/scaling which are pretty self explanatory. Issue with virtualdub is that there are so many filters that exist it's hard to know which ones to use for what.
The following users thank aramkolt for this useful post: toastyplains (11-29-2023)
11-29-2023, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramkolt View Post
One of the big advancements in quality you'll see is from the actual deinterlacing with QTGMC which can be done pretty easily through the Hybrid app (that's the detelecine he describes) - though that is usually the final step after you've gotten any sort of filters/color correction/editing done. I'm less sure of the appropriate ways to use various virtualdub filters or other Hybrid features beyond cropping/scaling which are pretty self explanatory. Issue with virtualdub is that there are so many filters that exist it's hard to know which ones to use for what.
Thanks for the valuable information! I think I'm at the same place you are, I'm just not sure which VirtualDub filters to use and which settings to use for each one. I'm looking forward to hearing what @qwertz73 has to say about the improvements he made!

Thanks again for the insight!
11-29-2023, 02:57 PM
Premium Member

If I need to correct, I use the "Color Mill (2.1) and "6-axix color correction" filter first.

In attached file, the effect of the settings with Color Mill (2.1)

Color. Mill 2.1.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 Color Mill.reglage.mp4 (54.79 MB, 9 downloads)

Last edited by qwertz73; 11-29-2023 at 03:43 PM.
The following users thank qwertz73 for this useful post: toastyplains (11-29-2023)
11-29-2023, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
If I need to correct, I use the "Color Mill (2.1) and "6-axix color correction" filter first.

In attached file, the effect of the settings with Color Mill (2.1)

Attachment 17143

Attachment 17144
Wow, thank you so much for the settings! I really appreciate it! If you have the time, I’d love to know the other filters you used and their settings. Or, just a list of the filters if you’re short on time. Thank you so much for all the advice!
11-30-2023, 02:26 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,471 Times in 2,101 Posts
VirtualDub2 added artifacts and glitches to certain filters, especially resize and null.

I'll take a look in a few days, busy now, but Color Mill is definitely one of the easier color correction tools, while still being powerful. Premiere can often do better, but learning curve, and how much better sometimes isn't worth the effort. Premiere is my method when Color Mill just can't cut it, which isn't too often.

Remember, in VirtualDub, you can also stack filters. So correct some, another filter to correct more.

And then Avisynth for non-CC, pre-pass before the CC.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: JaiFai4K (12-11-2023)
12-22-2023, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

Hi everyone,

I went ahead and attempted to color correct using ColorMill based on qwertz73's example, and here is what I got. While the skin tones certainly look much better and the purple splotch visible on the top of the original in attachment #2 has disappeared, the purple of the guitarist's shirt and the vibrant yellow of the guitar in attachment #1 are unfortunately lost. It looks like I'll need some further help color correcting.

Lordsmurf, I do have access to Premiere through my university. Do you have any advice on this specific capture and color correcting it with Premiere? I attempted to use it but I didn't get very far. I couldn't eliminate the purple splotch present in the second attachment with Premiere.

Thank you so much to anybody who can help me! I really appreciate it!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-12-22 125451.jpg (31.7 KB, 10 downloads)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-12-22 125609.jpg (29.4 KB, 7 downloads)

I thoroughly enjoy working with video tapes and have learned so much through this forum, as such I own a tape conversion business. I'm happy to assist you in any way I can!