Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-12-2024, 02:35 PM
Free Member

I really like the Blue Jean LC-1 audio cables. They are a night and day difference from something like the regular RCA cables. They give a much more flat frequency response than regular cables. You can hear more of the low frequencies with these cables.

Video cables are constrained in their design by the need to maintain a characteristic impedance of 75 ohms. That generally locks capacitance in at 16 to 21 pF/ft. But analog audio cables don't need to maintain any particular characteristic impedance. Capacitance contributes to high-frequency rolloff, so the lower the capacitance of the cable, the flatter the frequency response.

You can see more if you click on design notes on the Blue Jean website under LC-1 cables. That's where I copied and pasted some of this from.

As far as the Blue Jean BJC YC-2 video cables I would have to look at the differences more to notice things probably. It didn't just out at me like with the audio cable but the differences that differences can be attributed to the VCR and the low quality of the cables I started with.

I started with a cheap Panasonic S-video cable I got from Savers for like a buck or two and some thin cables I got on eBay. The thin cables were messed up and I just wouldn't recommend them at all. They made my video black and white.

The Panasonic cable on the other hand worked great. It slid in and out of my S-video in/outputs really easily. I didn't like that it was 6 foot long though. With my Panasonic 1980p ag VCR cables go in and out more easily but with my TBC 3000 the S-video in/output is tighter. The Panasonic cable goes in and out of that easily also.

The Blue Jean cable YC-2 cable doesn't go in/out of my TBC 3000 as easily as my Panasonic cable. S-video cables don't have any kind of grip so is seems like they try to make the in/outputs more snug. Since they make the in/output snug on the 3000 you don't want a cable that is also a tight fit if you are going to be unplugging and plugging it in. I am not going to be unplugging and plugging it in so the YC-2 cable is fine for me. I'm thinking the Monster cables are more grippy than the Blue Jean ones.

If I had to rebuy cables I would get the LC-1 cables again for sure even though it's a 55 dollar cable you only have to get one because you are just going from your VCR to your card and they make a big difference. The YC-2 was cool because I could get custom lengths and analog is lossy so the length of the cables matter way more than digital but they are 40 bucks a piece and I had to get 2 cables. I couldn't notice a difference between them and my Panasonic cables because video is bound by impendance. If budget was an issue I would pass on the YC-2s but get the LC-1. Stay away from regular RCA audio cables and remember to buy unbalanced. I'm pretty sure I could of chose a better audio sample with more low frequencies but this is what I was working on at that time.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg audio cables.jpg (53.2 KB, 10 downloads)
File Type: jpg video cables.jpg (42.1 KB, 12 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: wav Blue Jean.wav (17.72 MB, 6 downloads)
File Type: wav regular RCA.wav (17.72 MB, 6 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-12-2024, 04:08 PM
Free Member

Hmm. I wonder what is so special about the cables themselves? I get that cheap cables aren't very well shielded and they can use thin conductors, but I'd assume that a good quality cable should't sound any different? They've done studies where audiophiles can't tell the difference between monster cables and untwisted metal coat hangers connecting audio equipment: https://gizmodo.com/audiophile-death...-hanger-363154
04-12-2024, 04:29 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Hmm. I wonder what is so special abound the cables themselves?
https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

It’s more that the RCA audio cables are really bad plus the audio in the Panasonic is good. The VHS-C camera this is shot with is trash though which is why maybe a different sample would of been a better idea. I think there’s just more room for improvement in audio because it isn’t bound by impedance and you are going from really bad RCA cables to really good cables with the Blue Jean cables.

Quote:
I get that cheap cables aren't very well shielded and they can use thin conductors, but I'd assume that a good quality cable should't sound any different?
That’s probably a pretty good assumption. You start to get into a point of diminishing returns and audiophile territory when you compare good audio cables vs good audio cables and considering the source it probably won’t make much sense. With video it makes less sense to go with high end cables than it does with audio.
04-14-2024, 12:56 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,468 Times in 2,099 Posts
I'm not brand loyal on cables. I'm neutral on Blue Jean.

I still have my stash of cables that came with DataVideo and JVC gear, and those are fine, what many would even call cheap.

Fat headers are bad, get in the way, damage gear.

Gold is silly.

For the most part, Y/C works or doesn't, not often that you find noise patterning. But you will, toss it, move on. It strikes any cable, expensive or cheap. No prevalence in which is worse here.

RCA audio, and composite video, are mostly where you need strict shielding.

Coax needs RG6. I rewired the entire house in the 90s, ripped out the cheap RG50 crap the cable co put in back in the 80s. Everything was so superior.

I still have so many extra comp/RCA that I can't give them away fast enough. I may make an art project instead. Something funny, with Transformers, Voltron, something.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
cables, lc-1