Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-14-2024, 07:01 AM
Free Member

Hello forum!

Today I recapped this 3 or 4 Generation Datavideo TBC-3000 with Wurth Elektronik capacitors.

After measuring all the capacitors, I realized that 70% do not have the corresponding value, so I decided to replace them with better quality ones. It's a very delicate job, but if done correctly, you can extend the the useful life of this wonderful device.

If anyone needs maintenance on his TBC, send me a direct message.

This is how it turned out:

IMG_5449.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

IMG_5450.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

IMG_5451.jpg

IMG_5453.jpg

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-14-2024, 12:41 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,469 Times in 2,100 Posts
Some of us have this problem:
https://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/vcr...0-causing.html

What causes that? I realize you probably do not know either.
But if caps, then why/how?

I want to see if Master Tape is willing to sent his to you, as he's just over in Scotland, much closer.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-14-2024, 03:14 PM
Free Member

So I guess the question here is if there were any problems before you recapped it or not? Seems quite a few here have an issue where there's a 1 second blip of horizontal lines per capture. Usually capacitor issues I'd think would create a more consistent problem once up to to operating temperature.

I found on my TBC-1000 that 80%+ of the caps were out of spec (though none physically looked bad). I had something that I'd describe as rainbow static in the vertical blanking area (this is above the normally captured picture, so almost no one really looks for issues there as most displays don't display it without full 525 lines or H/V delay. I haven't tested mine long enough after the recap to verify that it actually went away, or perhaps that's a normal thing with the TBC-1000.

I've used Wurth capacitors before, but they always seem to be suspiciously overspeced - like "on paper" they almost always outperform well known brands like nichicon, rubycon, chemicon, and panasonic, for caps of the same physical size which I find to be highly unlikely so I generally avoid them in favor of those others. Kind of reminds me of Chinese lithium batteries that have outrageous capacities listed on them that aren't remotely correct and are gross overestimations. Really all of the capacitor specs are manufacturer reported and most do not require a regulating agency to verify accuracy of claims to my knowledge. I'm sure any new cap is a big improvement over the originals though - even cheap Chinese ones.

What do you use for your heatsink paste and do you ever worry about over-applying or not being able to get the heatsinks off later?
04-15-2024, 03:31 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Some of us have this problem:
https://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/vcr...0-causing.html

What causes that? I realize you probably do not know either.
But if caps, then why/how?

I want to see if Master Tape is willing to sent his to you, as he's just over in Scotland, much closer.
As many of you already know, the capacitors of the TBC-1000, 3000, 4000, 6000 and 7000 are from the Wendell brand and aren't very good, they swell and don't maintain their original capacity. To know if the value is correct or incorrect, an ESR machine is used to find out the value of the capacitor.

If he has no problem sending it to me, I would have no problem doing the repair, so we can know if the failure is due to bad capacitors.
04-15-2024, 03:35 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramkolt View Post
So I guess the question here is if there were any problems before you recapped it or not? Seems quite a few here have an issue where there's a 1 second blip of horizontal lines per capture. Usually capacitor issues I'd think would create a more consistent problem once up to to operating temperature.

I found on my TBC-1000 that 80%+ of the caps were out of spec (though none physically looked bad). I had something that I'd describe as rainbow static in the vertical blanking area (this is above the normally captured picture, so almost no one really looks for issues there as most displays don't display it without full 525 lines or H/V delay. I haven't tested mine long enough after the recap to verify that it actually went away, or perhaps that's a normal thing with the TBC-1000.

I've used Wurth capacitors before, but they always seem to be suspiciously overspeced - like "on paper" they almost always outperform well known brands like nichicon, rubycon, chemicon, and panasonic, for caps of the same physical size which I find to be highly unlikely so I generally avoid them in favor of those others. Kind of reminds me of Chinese lithium batteries that have outrageous capacities listed on them that aren't remotely correct and are gross overestimations. Really all of the capacitor specs are manufacturer reported and most do not require a regulating agency to verify accuracy of claims to my knowledge. I'm sure any new cap is a big improvement over the originals though - even cheap Chinese ones.

What do you use for your heatsink paste and do you ever worry about over-applying or not being able to get the heatsinks off later?
Personally, Wurth capacitors have never given me any problems, I'm very satisfied.

These heatsinks that I bought are from a Raspberry Pi 4 pack that I found on Aliexpress, they work very well and do their job. Between the chip and the heatsink is a tape that transfers heat, isn't thermal paste.
04-15-2024, 03:13 PM
Free Member

Looks great! Might do the same on my 6000
04-15-2024, 10:19 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,469 Times in 2,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasserra View Post
Looks great! Might do the same on my 6000
I'm curious if that would addresses the start level variation you reported to me last year.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs