Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-05-2024, 09:06 AM
Free Member

Let me start off by apologising in advance if this has already been covered but doing a quick search of the forum has all posts stating that Aja cards are not Virtualdub compatible and have to capture through the native Aja application.
All older Aja cards were VFW cards only so yes they were Aja application only.
However, the relatively newer Aja Kona Lhi and Lhe Plus cards have Directshow filters for Windows that once installed (with a bit of driver file path modification) allow the cards to be selected and in Virtualdub and to capture with. Is this not generally known or am I mistaken?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-05-2024, 12:50 PM
Free Member

Not sure if generally unknown but I think drivers are OS dependent, For instance Pinnacle drivers work up to a certain version of Win10 but the latest update nuked the driver, BM drivers work for all OS's including Win11, I can use MediaExpress or vdub alike:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-05-05 104158.jpg (56.0 KB, 22 downloads)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-05-05 104631.jpg (52.6 KB, 20 downloads)
05-05-2024, 08:23 PM
Free Member

Understood, I have it running on a Win10 machine and as I said, the Directshow filters need some editing to get them to install but nothing difficult (just pointing the executable to the proper file location to install it). Just thought to let people know that these 2 Aja cards are a viable option to be used with Virtualdub if they so choose.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aja Lhi Virtualdub.jpg (47.4 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg Aja Lhi Virtualdub 2.jpg (75.7 KB, 2 downloads)
05-05-2024, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwiliger View Post
[...] Aja cards are not Virtualdub compatible and have to capture through the native Aja application.
All older Aja cards were VFW cards only so yes they were Aja application only.
Yes. Cards like the LHe and LSe will only work with the Machina capture software, which is good, but not great. Vastly inferior to VirtualDub. Last (officially) supported OS for those older cards using Machina was Win7 and ancient OS X, like Lion & Snow Leopard.

Quote:
[...] newer Aja cards have Directshow filters for Windows that once installed (with a bit of driver file path modification) allow the cards to be selected and in Virtualdub and to capture with. Is this not generally known or am I mistaken?
You're the first one I've seen who thought to try the newer cards.

Quote:
I have it running on a Win10 machine and as I said, the Directshow filters need some editing to get them to install but nothing difficult (just pointing the executable to the proper file location to install it). Just thought to let people know that these 2 Aja cards are a viable option to be used with Virtualdub if they so choose.
Your work on this is appreciated. I'd be interested to hear what you think of capturing using Control Room versus VD. I've only helped others set up VD but haven't used it myself. My complaints of the Machina software were all resolved for the updated CP & CR. I find them excellent for SD capturing. But I know Control Room is still nowhere near VD's level of detailed info.

Since you've mentioned modifying the driver, it'd be great if you're able to just post the DIY steps here for others to reference, and keep it all contained in this 1 thread. Modifying paths in system files is going to be beyond most people without having a clear step-by-step guide for them to use.

recommended vcr+line tbc ---(Y/C)--> recommended frame tbc or "tbc-ish" ---(Y/C)--> capture
05-06-2024, 12:35 AM
Free Member

First chance I get I'll post an example of what to do. Very simple to accomplish.
Control room is fine, but as you mentioned, doesn't compare to VD and to be able to capture directly to Huffyuv, Lagarith etc and avoid those time consuming encoding steps.
05-06-2024, 04:03 AM
Free Member

1) Download and extract the windows Directshow filters to you HDD
2) Go to your extracted folder and install the ntv2driver-15.5.2.msi file.
3) Once that is finished , go to the "RegistrationFiles" folder and you should see a list of .bat executable files.
4) On the "Register32.bat" and "Register64.bat", right click and choose to edit in notepad or any other editing program you find suitable. You should see a few commands such as (regsvr32 "..\Filters\SingleChannel\AJACapture32.dll") which tells the PC the location of the files to register them to be used.
5) We just have to manually alter the location of the files it is looking for to where you extracted them. So in my case, for example instead of "..\Filters\SingleChannel\AJACapture32.dll" the location of my files are in J drive so I alter it to
"J:\AJA_DirectShowPackage_15_5_2\Filters\SingleCha nnel\AJACapture32.dll". Do this for all the corresponding commands in that .bat file and then save it.
Do it for both the Register32.bat and Register64.bat (I don't bother with the MultiRegister bat's as other errors appear but works without them).
Restart PC and it should appear in Virtualdub.
Hope it is clear enough.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aja directshow install.jpg (50.0 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg Aja directshow install 2.jpg (41.0 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg Aja directshow install 3.jpg (45.1 KB, 1 downloads)
File Type: jpg Aja directshow install 4.jpg (24.2 KB, 1 downloads)
File Type: jpg Aja directshow install 5.jpg (26.3 KB, 1 downloads)

Last edited by Tiwiliger; 05-06-2024 at 04:06 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
The following users thank Tiwiliger for this useful post: latreche34 (05-06-2024)
05-06-2024, 04:05 AM
Free Member

opps...in point 5) meant to say change "..\Filters\SingleChannel\AJACapture32.dll" to "J:\AJA_DirectShowPackage_15_5_2\Filters\SingleCha nnel\AJACapture32.dll" and so on.