Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-14-2020, 02:39 AM
Free Member

Hi all,

I picked up this S-VHS unit for the equivalent of about $30, knowing it had functionality issues. I thought it was worth it at that price.

So upon powering the system on (there is no tape inside), the tape cassette icon is shown on the display and the system immediately goes into eject mode. Sometimes the video head spins during all this, sometimes not.
The carriage itself is not stuck, it is in the loading position, but the system still operates as if there's a tape inside and that the eject button has been pressed. With the unit turned off, if I manually move the carriage forward by turning the center pulley at the bottom of the unit, the carriage will retreat back to the loading position upon powering on the system. And If I press the eject button, the system (after a few seconds) powers off.

I can't get any further than that. So before I further tinker with it I thought to ask here just in case someone might be of assistance.

Not sure what I'm looking at in terms of a fault. Maybe a mode switch problem or maybe alignment issues?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-14-2020, 06:25 AM
Free Member

It could be a mode switch issue, it's also possible there is a timing issue with the gears. The FS200 has the panasonic GII mechanism which is a bit clunky to work on. It uses the capstan motor (that drives the capstan and spools) for loading rather than a separate loading motor (like almost all other decks do.) and a solenoid to operate a clutch that connects the motor to the loading mechanism. You may have to go through and check that the gears line up correctly as shown in the service manual. There are some videos on yt showing disassembly/assembly of slightly older revisions of the mech.