Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-18-2022, 08:47 AM
Free Member

I'm trying to fix up a Mitsubishi HS-U560 VCR. I've got the mechanism cleaned, aligned. I can manually turn the gears and get it to go through the load/unload sequence just fine.

At this point, I see a showstopper problem, and what looks like it might be an error code on the display.

Have found no service manual nor online info that addresses this. Ideas most welcome!

Issue: if I load a cassette, it pulls in, door opens, drops into position, but does not pull out the tape... and immediately reverses, ejects, and turns off.

Issue(?): When turned on, the display shows "3". No idea what this means..
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-19-2022, 10:08 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I detest Mitsubishi decks, always crappy.

Mechanical issues like that can be related to gears, belts (rubbers, bands). Sometimes motor is shot, also a weak fail point on JVCs.

Without service manual, no clue. Another problem is that Mitsu decks had low production, not popular, info sparse at times. You may be SOL for official repair docs. But most brands had semi-universal codes, another Mitsu model manual may always show what '3' means.

Sometimes stuff isn't covered in any manuals. I had this issue with a Dell laptop recently, light combo not covered. I read other manuals, guessed issues correctly, unit now works well.

Welcome to my world.
Few others here too, so welcome to our world!

Having fun yet?

This is why DIY repair, DIY refurb, is a PITA. You spend all your time making gear work, not using it. Your videos will never get transferred that way. Just something to remember. <<< This is addressed to others reading along, not our dedicated OP here ... probably?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-20-2022, 05:05 PM
Free Member

@lordsmurf, you've obviously been around the block a few times LOL

Yep. I actually began as our family A-to-D conversion "expert" a decade ago.

Biggest mistake: I gave myself permission to take as much time as needed to get it done.

What I didn't consider (but really Ought To Have Known):
  • Over time, equipment breaks. Just due to delays.
  • Over time, computer drivers go obsolete. My then-speedy GTX670 nVidia card is barely supported anymore.
  • Over time (these days) security updates mean you MUST do updates in software, just to remain connected. And some of those updates will no longer be available. Thus making more equipment into a costly door stop
  • Bottom line: there is a VERY real cost to taking my sweet time
(In this case, I'm only attempting to resurrect this Mitsu VCR as a secondary check to verify video quality... my Panasonic AG-5710, once recapped, will hopefully last long enough to do what I need...)