Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-16-2022, 05:01 PM
Free Member

(I'm an experienced tech in computers and other tech, and have successfully disassembled/repaired high end Nikon DSLR without instructions. So this, my first VCR, isn't too scary )

I've had one of those rare, cheap, AG-5710's since the early 2010's. Unfortunately my A-to-D project was on hold for over 7 years (moving, V-Fib and more )... and now I'm picking up again.

My VCR clearly needs some love. Won't properly load a tape. So I'm digging in to at least lubricate what's needed, and eventually likely recap.

ISSUE: I've run into some cable connectors I've not seen before. Don't want to break anything, so hints appreciated on disassembly! (I've done a bunch of searching with no joy )
  • FE sensor on the left has two wires going into a boxy orange-brown connector that doesn't want to just pull off, and has no obvious tabs.
  • A/C Head on the right has a six wire ribbon going into a pumpkin-color connector
  • Three larger ribbons go into large green connectors
Normally, ribbon connectors have a way to open, so there's little or no friction when removing/inserting the ribbon. I see none of that here.

So, how do I best release these?

Hints muchly appreciated.

Pete
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-17-2022, 06:26 AM
Free Member

I believe it is a very tight friction fit (for the first removal), at least it is for the control/audio head on the AG-1970 I have open. I used a very thin blade between the male and female connectors to start it. Once it has been separated future removals will be easier.
11-17-2022, 09:36 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the confirmation. I just finished solving this one. Very closeup camera gave me part numbers and enough info:
  • All of these flat flexible ribbons (Sumitomo-Y AWM 2896) use "LIF" (Low Insertion Force) connectors. There's no release mechanism. (UNlike the dark ribbons on the flip-down control panel, which attach to connectors with pull-up tabs at each end.)
  • The FE head two wire connector has two bumps at the bottom. Wiggle carefully left-right while gently tugging on the connector and it comes out.
CAUTION on the FF ribbons: most of these have a blue protective plastic on the "back" side. HOWEVER, the skinny one that goes to the A/C head on the right is double sided. Be verry gentle on that one.

(I have a history with these ribbons. You do NOT want to destroy the electrical trace. Can't solder. Conducting silver pen is only so-so as a solution. Replacements can be purchased but it's painful.