Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-11-2023, 04:05 PM
Free Member

I recently took a flyer on a cheap, non-functioning JVC DR-M100 DVD Recorder.

According to the previous owner, the unit was working when stored away years ago but now it will not load a DVD. The unit powers on and the tray opens/closes, but the disk will not spin up.

I've searched through the posts here and read many post about loading issues with JVCs, but this issue sounds different because the drive doesn't even spin up.

Does anyone have a recommendation of someplace that I can trust to diagnose and repair this for me? I live in the DC/Baltimore metro area, but if someone has proven to other group members to be and trustworthy and reliable, I could certainly ship the unit for repairs.

Thanks,

Chris
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-12-2023, 03:35 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,467 Times in 2,098 Posts
Does not spin at all? Or just spins, never loads?

The drive may have failed. Not uncommon, just not as common as LOADING caps issues.

However, more common is bad blank discs. How does it work with retail pressed DVD of a movie?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-12-2023, 05:08 PM
Free Member

More details...

The seller wasn't completely accurate about it's error state, what a shock! I had a chance to play around with it a little today. Upon powering it up,empty, it did show the loading message. I put in a DVD and it "attempted" to play it. The picture was all pixelated and it became unresponsive, I believe when it was attempting to load the menu.

So i removed the DVD and put in a blank DVD-R and it appeared to record just fine! I recorded multiple clips at various speeds and everything went smooth and the disc even finalized. I say that it appears to have recorded fine because I had to run out just as soon as the disc finalized, so I haven't had a chance to see how (if?) it plays in my other drives/players yet.

I'm thinking that I may have gotten lucky on this one!