My first post here. I've read a bunch of stuff on the site and I'm thoroughly impressed with the caliber of knowledge here.
Here's my dilemma.
I recently tried to play some old VHS tapes from the mid 1990s. The Magnavox VHS/DVD player has played these tapes fine before but has not been used for at least 5 years. It's the same Sharp Aquos TV as well. Both machines date to the mid 2000s. Nothing has been changed other than time since the last successful playing of these tapes.
Here's the issue:
- the tape would play fine for about 1 second and then go black screen blank for about 1 second for the duration of the tape.
- the 1 second interval is surprising consistent but does occasionally become more frequent with the black screen and the video segment only becoming shorter.
- the audio continues normally throughout.
- fast forward loses audio but shows the intact video continuously.
- all 6 or 7 tapes tried behave identically.
- I connected a different VHS machine and ran different cables to the same TV ports with exactly the same result.
- adjusting the tracking only changes the video quality but the alternating video/black screen continues unaffected.
I have yet to try to hook up either VHS machine to a second (RCA) TV.
TV or VHS machine(s) or tape issue?
I look forward to hearing from anyone with a bigger digi-brain than my pea-sized model...cheers ..Steve