Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-04-2023, 02:00 PM
Free Member

Hello members!

This is my first time posting here, in fact i have just created my account a few minutes ago. But I have a really important question to ask.

CONTEXT: I have bought this unit for roughly 210$ in local currency. It is a Sony HVR-M25E. Which I believe has a good (?) usage time.

Now, it has one small defect, it struggles to eject the tape and I believe it has to do with the fact that the previous owner didnt use it for a few years (battery also completely dead, but that's not a priority). A defect which i would like to fix. It sometimes takes 3 attempts to eject the tape and if that doesn't work i have to hold the door and the accidental tape insetion cover lifted with a pencil.

What can I do to fix it?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hours.jpg (78.6 KB, 8 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 20231004_214728.mp4 (16.57 MB, 6 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-04-2023, 02:05 PM
Free Member

Grease the mechanical part that is sticking, get the service manual and roll up your sleeves.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
10-04-2023, 02:21 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Grease the mechanical part that is sticking, get the service manual and roll up your sleeves.
Thank you, I couldn't find the exact mechanical part, do you think it is a good idea to grease every gear?
10-04-2023, 02:48 PM
Free Member

This machine is probably not the type for a beginner to work on if that describes yourself. The mechanism is tiny, fragile, complex and not necessarily easy to diagnose faults on even for skilled techs. There will still be techs who can probably repair it but very few are still in business these days. There's no longer the demand. A good camera tech experienced in camcorders might be worth a try.

Last edited by timtape; 10-04-2023 at 03:05 PM.
10-04-2023, 03:09 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Why did buy this?
I have a feeling that a standard DV camera will serve you far better.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-04-2023, 03:11 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtape View Post
This machine is probably not the type for a beginner to work on if that describes yourself. The mechanism is tiny, fragile, complex and not necessarily easy to diagnose faults on even for skilled techs. There will still be techs who can probably repair it but very few are still in business these days. There's no longer the demand. A good camera tech experienced in camcorders might be worth a try.
Pretty much describes me, I have worked on larger VHS players but never on these small things. It works fine it is just itching me seeing that it isn't working perfectly I don't want to spend money on repairs plus i don't think that anyone in my area is capable on doing it either (and i don't trust shipping companies to send fragile stuff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Why did buy this?
I have a feeling that a standard DV camera will serve you far better.
Yeah a DV camera would have been more suitable, I already have one. But I bought the unit mostly for a personal collection.

Tags
cassette, fix, minidv, vcr