Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-22-2024, 08:24 PM
Free Member

Hi,

I have a full setup for capture that I would like to find a better home for. I bought it all back in 2017 to capture all my home movies. It's been stored away for years. I assume it is all still working fine. Other than powering it on today, I have not used it for capture in years. I really do not want to put it on eBay for sale. I would like to sell it to someone on these forums.

However, the marketplace requires I list it with a price. I have no idea what any of this equipment should sell for. I am more than happy to give someone a good deal. I just don't know what "fair" means for any of this. I would like to sell it as a bundle if possible but would break it up if needed. Could someone please give me some tips on the value for these items?
  • VCR - JVC SR-V10U
  • TBC - Datavideo TBC-1000
  • Capture Device: ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB + Hauppauge USB-Live 2

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9861.jpg (99.3 KB, 6 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_9832.jpg (119.3 KB, 6 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_9839.jpg (63.7 KB, 6 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_9854.jpg (53.8 KB, 6 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_9855.jpg (47.4 KB, 6 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_9841.jpg (78.1 KB, 5 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-22-2024, 08:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Where did it come from? Where did you get it?

You cannot assume this gear is working fine.
- DataVideo TBCs have been heavily failing in the past 5 years, and I have literally not seen a truly working non-refurb'd DataVideo "in the wild" for the past year (actually since late 2022, now 2024).
- VCRs drift alignment over time, parts brittle and stretch, and I'd be wary of a VCR that has not gotten any use or attention in 7+ years (or ever).

Capture cards are hard to screw up (though sadly many do find a way). I'll assume you stored this properly (indoors), so it's probably fine.

TBCs and VCRs can command some bucks with properly working, hence why the eBay seller lie their asses off about "working" and "tested". They're all banking on the buyers not knowing any better, or least not realizing until after it's too late (past 30 days), which is sadly the norm. It's why newbies should never buy eBay gear, they'l be screwed over.

But in this condition -- so many unknowns, repairs costs, time needed, etc -- less valuable.

That all said, having bought it in 2017 (when gear was cheaper, more plentiful), you have room to recoup your initial costs. I'll PM you here when I get some free moments.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-22-2024, 09:25 PM
Free Member

I bought it all on eBay back in 2017 I think (maybe 2016. I can't see my eBay history that far back). I know I joined these boards back then to learn about VHS capture. I bought all this specific gear based on the guides posted here. I used it for maybe 6-12 months on and off. Then I boxed it all up. It's been stored in a climate controlled environment ever since.

The only issues I ever had was the VCR had issues playing tapes about half way through my capturing I remember. I cleaned the heads and never had another problem. The TBC-1000 AC adapter plug housing is not held together that tightly anymore (if you pull on the sides it has some play to it). I am not sure if that is an original AC adapter or an aftermarket one though.

Having said all that, I completely agree with every point you made. I am not an expert or an electrical engineer. However, I am more than happy to do any type of testing that might help clarify the "working" condition. Not sure how to do that though. I am not too sure what to look for as "red flags". I know just turning it on and seeing a red light does not really tell you much.

I am also happy to show more pictures if that is helpful. (inside or outside of the devices)

Anyway, looking forward to the PMs and any info / advice you can offer. Thanks

-- merged --

I ran some tests. The VCR seems fine. The TBC-1000 has issues. Here are the details:

I connected everything to my old Windows 8.1 laptop I used to do all the original capturing.

OS - Windows 8.1
Software - VirtualDub 1.9.11
VCR - JVC SR-V10U (Digital TBC/NR enabled on the front and Digital R3 off in the settings)

Hardware chain - JVC SR-V10U -> ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB -> Laptop
  • Home video - Everything works well. Nice and vibrant colors (See "VCR Only (Bright).png"). Play, Pause, rewind, fast forward all work well.
  • Commercial video - Play, Pause, rewind, fast forward all work well. Colors go dark every once and a while. Entire picture becomes scrambled every few seconds. Then goes back to normal. A few seconds later scrambled, etc.. I assume this is Macro Vision kicking in.

Hardware chain - JVC SR-V10U -> TBC-1000 -> ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB -> Laptop
  • Home video - Brightness seems to be at 80% (See "VCR + TBC-1000 (Not Bright).png"). Gentle wiggling of the front TBC-1000 S-Video connection causes the video to flicker and become unstable (See "TBC-1000 Flicker from front S-Video cable movement.mp4"). Play, Pause, rewind, fast forward all work well.
  • Commercial video - Brightness seems to be at 80% (See comparison photos). Gentle wiggling of the front TBC-1000 S-Video input connection causes the video to flicker and become unstable (See "TBC-1000 Flicker from front S-Video cable movement.mp4"). Play, Pause, rewind, fast forward all work well. Picture is stable with no Macro Vision issues at all (no random darkness or picture scramble).
No idea what the TBC-1000 issue is. Maybe bad capacitors causing the video instability / brightness reduction? Maybe the front S-Video connection needs to be re-soldered? No idea if this is a trivial fix for someone who knows what they are doing or if I should just throw the TBC in the garbage.

Anyway, that's the condition as I see it.

Attached Images
File Type: png VCR Only (Bright).png (416.1 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: png VCR + TBC-1000 (Not Bright).png (344.8 KB, 3 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 TBC-1000 Flicker from front S-Video cable movement.mp4 (12.54 MB, 1 downloads)
03-23-2024, 03:40 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1000 View Post
Colors go dark every once and a while. Entire picture becomes scrambled every few seconds. Then goes back to normal. A few seconds later scrambled, etc.. I assume this is Macro Vision kicking in.
No, not necessarily. Head damage can appear cyclically that way as well. Deeper inspection required.

Does the V10 make any squeals or other noises? (Noise alone is not determiner, and is sometimes normal, but can give to other issues suspected or seen.)

I'm not easily able to refurb decks anymore (reason why), not for many months. But the V10 is probably the only unit I'd consider, given size and weight, and how few now exist. So tempting. I could one-hand it.

Of all the JVC VCRs out there, the SR-V10 fails more than any of them now (even more than DD decks), and is irreparably in most cases. I have multiple V10 duds here, for parts, but never seen to find a unit to be fixed. Some of the units are cosmetically perfect, too. Also some original boxes. Anybody would be fooled into thinking those are "fine" from sight alone. If I was underhanded (I'm not), I could easily list those on eBay "for parts" with no description, and some sucker would buy it. They'd think that I was just a dumb seller that didn't realize what I had. But the buyer would be the stooge.

Some of my own V10 units from the early 2000s, bought new or as 2nd owner, failed during the 2010s.

Quote:
Brightness seems to be at 80% (See "VCR + TBC-1000 (Not Bright).png"). Gentle wiggling of the front TBC-1000 S-Video connection causes the video to flicker and become unstable (See "TBC-1000 Flicker from front S-Video cable movement.mp4"). Play, Pause, rewind, fast forward all work well.
No idea what the TBC-1000 issue is. Maybe bad capacitors causing the video instability / brightness reduction? Maybe the front S-Video connection needs to be re-soldered? No idea if this is a trivial fix for someone who knows what they are doing or if I should just throw the TBC in the garbage.
Not trash, don't toss it. But not usable as is, refurb required. No, not trivial. Bad caps are a given. The front panel isn't soldered, but does go bad in addition to board. Errors cascade, TBC-1000 was messy that way.

This is exactly why I'm not gettign anywhere near DataVideo TBCs anymore. Each unit is now failed in some way, a project with unknown time and costs involved.

Sometimes the units are irreparable, too. However, even bad units have value for R&D, though token.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs