Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-31-2014, 10:29 AM
Free Member

My JVC HR-S6900EH is making unusual noises when rewinding any tape. Read on http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/vcrfaq.htm#vcrnoisyrewff, that in case of a high pitched squeak (which seems to be the case), it is probably caused by dirt and/or dried or lost lubrication on reel spindles. The advise is to remove both reel tables, clean and lubricate the shafts. On older machines you often find this as well on idler pulleys.

Does anyone perhaps have a maintenance manual for the JVC HR-S6900EH so I can disassemble it to perform the advise above or any other recommendations, practical advise or experience how to resolve the noise issue. Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-04-2015, 04:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
That's usually a lube issue. A repair manual specific to this model probably is not needed. Any JVC manual would probably do fine. Even then, I honestly don't think a manual is even needed.

Have you taken off the top, and then rewound a tape? You can hear it better, and hopefully see where it's coming from.

This all said, it probably won't make a difference during playback. Most VCRs squeal when rewinding tapes. At most, it'll just annoy you when REW. So perhaps don't mess with it, if it's working fine on playback. "Ain't broke, don't fix it."

It can also be the tape(s), not the VCR.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-04-2015, 06:06 AM
Free Member

Thanks for your clear reply. I did take of the top, and noticed that the high pitched squeak noise comes from the spindles. Also tried several VHS tapes, but it didn't make any difference.

Since the issue doesn't have any impact on the playback itself, it's not a major issue, but rather annoying to hear that loud high sound all the time during rewinds. Since you suggested that is probably a lube issue, is it perhaps easy to fix which some simple instructions, like how and where to apply the lube and what kind of lube to use?
Do have Interflon, a Teflon lubricant, would that work? The container comes with a thin long tubule, so perhaps disassembly of parts isn't even necessary, if I know where exactly to apply the lube? Also, have a container of compressed air, is it worth trying that also perhaps?
01-04-2015, 07:38 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
By "spindle", I'm assuming that you refer to the heads. You do NOT want to get any extraneous material on them, as it's easy to damage heads. You don't want to just squirt something all over it.

Some of the other members here have repaired a lot more VCRs than I have in recent years, so I'm hoping on of them will reply here.

If rewind is the only issue, then I would suggest using another deck for doing just that. Only use the 6900 for your playback. In general, that's suggested anyway. Don't put any extra wear-and-tear on the unit than is necessary. I often use an older JVC HR-S3800 for tape rewinding and fast-forwarding. For one thing, I never again want to have an oxide shedder obliterate itself inside a high-quality unit. That happened back in 2011 to one of the SR-V10Us. That was tedious to clean up.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Free Member

Thanks for your reply. Let me clarify what I meant by "spindle", was refering to the actual axes/mechanism that is used to rewind the reeel (the takeup and supply spindle), not related to the heads.

Good suggestion to use a basic separate drive for tape rewinding and fast-forwarding, will get one for that purpose.

But still any safe solution related to where and how to apply the lube (and type of lube) to the rewind mechanism of my JVC HR-S6900EH is appreciated.

Last edited by wk17; 01-04-2015 at 08:55 AM.