Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-05-2018, 04:33 PM
Free Member

Hi,

I have a HR-S5800AM/HR-S5880AM which has been plugged in on the rack and showing the 4 dashes for maybe 8 years. Yesterday I had to use it for the first time for ages. I put a tape in and it got stuck in there.

After a while it did come out but when it goes in again all the LED lights up for a few secs then it goes back to the 4 dashes. Happens all the time.

The 2025 battery was very low but replaced it but it didn't change anything.

This is the best box I have ever had so don't want to lose it and I am now ready to transfer so many VHS tapes to PC.

I am in Sydney Australia.

I have found this place and am awaiting a quote but would like to know if there are any suggestions.

I've taken the top off, but none of the capacitors I can see are bloated. All looks very clean an good actually. When I put the cassette in the tape does go to the drum, then back, then back to the drum and stops.

http://www.jvpservicecentre.com.au/:

Thanks

oz

Last edited by ozstar; 09-05-2018 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Add text
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-14-2018, 07:06 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
As you already know, similar issues happen with many JVCs: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...0am-keeps.html
It's a self-protection error, it shuts off.
You must locate the problem.
Finding the problem is generally pretty easy for the dynamic drum units -- of which this is not one.

Without seeing it, hearing it, hard to say. If you can't find a local repairman, perhaps you'll need to shoot some images and video of the internals of the deck, and perhaps somebody here has some ideas.

While I'm good at JVC repair/maintenance -- merely a side effect of having used them for 20+ years now -- others here are better than I at finding some of these issues. At I'm at a loss on this one.

I also see you other post in the 7600AM thread
Quote:
Many thanks again for the help and advice lordsmurf. I will repost and see if I get any more reactions.
I found a place in Sydney online and awaiting their reply to my request.
http://www.jvpservicecentre.com.au/
oz

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: ozstar (09-14-2018)

Tags
hr-s5800am, hr-s5880am, jvc, sydney