Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-29-2020, 11:01 AM
Free Member

ATI 600 bought but will not be recognized under XP. I have Win10 on another better laptop but I've read ATI 600 will work only on older versions of Windows. If that's the case how do I proceed. I was told use Vdub but how can it work if the drivers that came with ATI 600 and Catalyst CD don't work. Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-29-2020, 11:51 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
It works in XP-10.
- XP best, Vista works, use original CD. (Also available for download on this site.)
- 7 works, force install Vista drivers.
- 8/10 can work, same install as 7, but both OS can give problems at updates, make card not work.

Not recognized? Where did you get it? I've seen bad 600 cards before.

Ignore Catalyst Media Center (CMC). You just need the drivers. CMC is for MPEG capturing (and without dropped frames counter, so not ideal, you're capturing blindly).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-29-2020, 11:52 AM
Free Member

I got it from you! I've got XP Laptop that I've been using for DV capture since it has firewire. It has SP3.
05-29-2020, 12:06 PM
Site Staff | Video

Ah, I know who you are now. It definitely works.

When the hardware is plugged in, what does Device Manager show?

There is likely a conflict in the USB, or the drivers, or both. I've run into this on my dev/test box (too much in/out of the USB port), and it requires manually clearing of USB devices at times. There is a simple program to do that, if we need to.

05-29-2020, 02:03 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Ah, I know who you are now. It definitely works.
When the hardware is plugged in, what does Device Manager show?
There is likely a conflict in the USB, or the drivers, or both. I've run into this on my dev/test box (too much in/out of the USB port), and it requires manually clearing of USB devices at times. There is a simple program to do that, if we need to.
Attached screenshot of what I see. All USB ports except the one with ATI in it are empty.

When I try to update drivers on XP it doesn't find any on the PC or on the Catalyst CD. Isn't there an online source for the correct drivers?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATI 600 not recognized.jpg (57.2 KB, 20 downloads)
05-30-2020, 07:40 PM
Free Member

XP doesn't automatically download and install drivers for you because it has been long since discontinued, you need to find the location of the driver on your hard drive and install it or download it from somewhere and point to each location.
05-31-2020, 03:53 AM
Site Staff | Video

You must install the drivers with the driver CD (or ISO). Windows does not automatically install device drivers.

See this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post15888
I just updated that post tonight.

Either burn that ISO to a disc, or load the ISO to a virtual drive. (Magic Disc is my favorite freeware for virtual CD/DVD drives from ISO.)

06-01-2020, 11:17 AM
Free Member

Your link takes me to the beginning of that post. Is that what's been updated? Is this different than what's on the Catalyst CD you sent with the interface? Thank you.
06-01-2020, 02:57 PM
Site Staff | Video

The same.

(There are actually 3 different ISOs that exist, but all work the same. If you got a disc, I'm not sure which exact disc. But again, all work the same. I don't upload all 3 because it'll just confuse people.)

06-01-2020, 03:45 PM
Free Member

Well, I seem to be back at where I started. I tried twice to get it to install on XP with the ATI TV Wonder CD you sent (v 100).There was a 2nd CD "AMD Live entertainment suite" which I didn't do anything with. XP install proceeded and said I should restart. It also put up a message saying I need to upgrade to service pack 2 but I already had SP3. Then as the PC tried to close and restart I get the message "CatalystMC.exe DLL Initialiazation failed". I didn't have any special desire to use the Catalyst program if I didn't need to. I've never used it. When XP wouldn't recognize the ATI 600 I clicked "update driver" and had it look on that Catalyst CD and it never came to the drivers no matter what folder I tried. I just looked at the CD again and the attachment shows a sreenshot. Could you say where I click to update the drivers?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg catalyst cd.jpg (53.1 KB, 6 downloads)

Last edited by Ohank; 06-01-2020 at 04:15 PM.
06-07-2020, 11:13 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohank View Post
Well, I seem to be back at where I started. I tried twice to get it to install on XP with the ATI TV Wonder CD you sent (v 100).There was a 2nd CD "AMD Live entertainment suite" which I didn't do anything with. XP install proceeded and said I should restart. It also put up a message saying I need to upgrade to service pack 2 but I already had SP3. Then as the PC tried to close and restart I get the message "CatalystMC.exe DLL Initialiazation failed". I didn't have any special desire to use the Catalyst program if I didn't need to. I've never used it. When XP wouldn't recognize the ATI 600 I clicked "update driver" and had it look on that Catalyst CD and it never came to the drivers no matter what folder I tried. I just looked at the CD again and the attachment shows a sreenshot. Could you say where I click to update the drivers?
Still unable to get the thing recognized. When Windows XP , update driver, asks where to browse for driver where would I look? Could someone list the names of the drivers? Thank you.