Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-05-2022, 08:23 PM
Free Member

When people on the forum refer to the ATI 600 USB, is that just shorthand for the ATI TV Wonder 600 (see attachment)?

And also, in Lord Smurf's list of preferred USB devices, he lists these:
- Hauppauge ATI 600 USB clone
- Tevion ATI 600 USB clone
- ATI 600 USB
- Pinnacle USB (similar to ATI AIW USB)
- ATI AIW USB

But what is the model name or number of these. For instance, is "Pinnacle USB" the Pinnacle Studio 500 USB? I'm on the lookout for those specific SVHS models on Lord Smurf's other list, but am not sure what about which models to look for in the list above.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATI TV Wonder 600.jpg (91.4 KB, 50 downloads)

Last edited by ThumperStrauss; 01-05-2022 at 08:40 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-06-2022, 11:43 AM
Free Member

Yes, the TV Wonder part of the name is just dropped for brevity. Note that you need the little AV cable attachment, not just the stick as pictured.

ATI AIW USB is officially ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0. The nickname is because it uses the Theater 200 chip like most AIW internal cards, and unlike every other USB device.

I don't know whether any of the others have consistent official names or part numbers. Some manufacturers re-use the same name or number for multiple devices over time.
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: ThumperStrauss (01-06-2022)
01-06-2022, 12:17 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,489 Times in 2,117 Posts
ATI, Hauppauge, Pinnacle, and others, are guilty of reusing model names and numbers. Some, like Tevion, don't even bother using models.

If you're looking on eBay, be highly aware that most cards are not complete with all needed wires. That is true of not just USB, but others like AGP and PCI. It reminds me of loose action figures, which never seem to have the "accessories" (often essential parts).

Sometimes proprietary cables are bad, and there's no way to replace those. So be aware of that, too. That's too common as well.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: ThumperStrauss (01-06-2022)