Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-30-2022, 08:03 AM
Free Member

The captures now show histograms indicating that there is no "crush" of black levels:

edit_hist.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

norm_hist.jpg

The best capture in my opinion is the capture with edit=on; for example the details on the face of the girl are better in this mode:
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Here some image comparison:
edit vs norm
https://imgsli.com/OTM0Nzc
edit is better

edit vs norm_calib
https://imgsli.com/OTM0Nzg
edit is better

norm vs norm_calib
https://imgsli.com/OTM0Nzk
very similar

In my captures the edit=off mode is better, in yours edit=on is better. Another evidence that we should not blindly follow any general guideline but always experiment with our own tapes and hardware!

Comparing the old capture with crushed blacks and the new capture I see an improvement. However is difficult to understand if details in the range Y<16 are now present in the clip with adjusted levels because the crush is avoided, or if they are visible just because thr higher brightness. You have to experiment yourself and to judge yourself (for example, increase brightness in the "crushed" clip and see if they appear or not):
norm_calib_hist.jpg

clipped_edit vs edit
https://imgsli.com/OTM0ODE

-- merged --

Addendum: your "brightness increase" was probably able to bring some more details in the dark areas (not sure, as I said before, it must be checked). But as you can see, the video now is too bright imo. It was ok to (probably) avoid the crushed blacks, but now in postprocessing, you should bring the levels back to the "original" look. It can easily be done in AviSynth with Levels or ColorYUV without clipping anything.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-30-2022, 03:01 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Share your slider settings.
Brightness +3, Contrast -16. All others at 0.

Though I'm under the impression that I'll need to change these settings for every tape.

-- merged --

Lollo, thank you for the histograms and the image sliders. These are helpful!

I have no real way of brightening the older clip to compare it with the new clip/check for missing details. (I imagine there's a way in AviSynth, but it's still very much a foreign language to me.)

Regarding my new, "too bright" clips: should I have lowered the Brightness slider by one before capturing? Or were my settings correct for capture, and post-processing is the accepted method for fixing this?

So -- thanks to you, I now have a better understanding of setting the levels before capture, and of the best settings for my VCR. I still have two problems left:

1) according to your screengrabs above, I'm still showing gaps in my histograms, correct? But this can be fixed in post-processing. (You suggested denoising.)

2) the videos are too bright. But this can also be fixed in post-processing. (And maybe with slider levels beforehand?)

Could this mean that I'm ready to stop doing tests and start capturing real videos?!
01-30-2022, 03:30 PM
Free Member

Yes to both questions.
Now you have all the elements for "good" captures.
Enjoy your captures!

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
01-30-2022, 04:06 PM
Free Member

Hooray! Thank you, this is exciting.

Do you have any thoughts on this question of mine?

"Regarding my new, "too bright" clips: should I have lowered the Brightness slider by one before capturing? Or were my settings correct for capture, and post-processing is the accepted method for fixing this?"
01-30-2022, 04:21 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Regarding my new, "too bright" clips: should I have lowered the Brightness slider by one before capturing?
I do not know. Use the brightness slider at its minimum change able to stay inside 16 Y range for a dark sequence.

Quote:
Or were my settings correct for capture, and post-processing is the accepted method for fixing this?
With post processing you can correct the parameters. Of course, is better to have the clip at its "best" before postprocessing.

Start using AviSynth or VapourSynth, you'll be surprised by its power. If needed, ask here

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
01-30-2022, 05:01 PM
Free Member

You're saying that, in general, I should only make the *minimum* changes necessary to the sliders in order to get the preview histogram fully inside the 16-235 safe zone. And nothing else. Correct? That makes sense.

In your screengrabs of the histograms from my most recent clip, I see that most of the graph is clumped over on the left. That's okay? I don't need to play with the levels to try to "center" that curve?

I'll get around to AviSynth at some point. One mystery at a time...
01-30-2022, 05:10 PM
Free Member

Quote:
You're saying that, in general, I should only make the *minimum* changes necessary to the sliders in order to get the preview histogram fully inside the 16-235 safe zone. And nothing else. Correct?
Correct. If your card can capture 16-254 (for example) I would stay inside that range, rather than 16-235.

Quote:
In your screengrabs of the histograms from my most recent clip, I see that most of the graph is clumped over on the left. That's okay? I don't need to play with the levels to try to "center" that curve?
That's the "nature" of your video. You could offset the Y channel (-> increas/decrease brightness) at your preference to shift left or right the histogram, but in general the original pattern is the best. There is nothing to "center"!

01-30-2022, 05:55 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley View Post
Though I'm under the impression that I'll need to change these settings for every tape.
Yes and no.

You need to establish a baseline that works with most tapes. The deviate from there. Don't start from 0 at all times if you know 0 is bad.

So is +3 / -16 the baseline?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-31-2022, 08:45 AM
Free Member

You're asking me? Heck if I know.

I've only ever tried this on two tapes. The first (in my OP) worked fine at 0/0. The second one worked fine at +3/-16 (though given Lollo's comments it sounds like +2/-16 would have been better). So I don't have enough data yet to establish a baseline.

Sounds like I should start keeping track of which settings work best for each tape going forward, and trying to eventually glean a baseline that way.
02-01-2022, 03:58 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I'll look at mine sometime soon, share my settings. I've always pre-adjusted with the AVT-8710. If the tape needed better proc amp, I'd use another workflow with another capture card.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs