Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-22-2022, 06:57 PM
Free Member

Thanks for your input - I will definitely be exploring vdub2 in the coming days. Since I joined a couple of weeks ago its been like "drinking from a fire hose" trying to absorb all of the information on the forum and testing one thing after another, but yes I will give it a go.

On a related note, did you have a chance to look at the results of my Media Express vs. OBS lossless comparison?

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/atta...-video-capture
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-22-2022, 07:19 PM
Free Member

One major difference I noticed in the codec tab is that Mexp uses lossless and OBS uses v210, They are both lossless AVI but don't know what's the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
05-24-2022, 02:09 PM
Free Member

I am still trying to sort out the best way to capture lossless AVI using my Blackmagic Decklink Mini Recorder. Currently am working on vdub and believe I am closer to understanding why vdub (including vdub2) garbles the audio:

When listing available directshow devices in ffmpeg, I am getting:

"Blackmagic WDM Capture" (audio, video)
"Decklink Video Capture" (video)
"OBS Virtual Camera" (video)
"Line In (Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K Audio)" (audio)
"Decklink Audio Capture" (audio)

I have tried to do a basic capture in ffmpeg specifying:

Code:
video="Blackmagic WDM Capture":audio="Blackmagic WDM Capture"
(i.e. same device for video and audio as intended) the audio sounds great. However if I do the capture using:

Code:
video="Blackmagic WDM Capture":audio="Line In (Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K Audio)"
the audio is tremendously distorted and out of sync.

To replicate this in vdub/vdub2 I tried to specify the video source and audio source as "Blackmagic WDM Capture", however when doing this vdub displays a black screen and once I activate capture, the error "Unable to Start Capture" is thrown.

When I in vdub specify the sources video: Blackmagic WDM Capture" and audio: "Line In (Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K Audio)" I get the same distortion as when doing this through ffmpeg.

So it could seem that vdub doesnt support "hybrid" devices which are both video and audio sources such as "Blackmagic WDM Capture" (audio, video). I also tried various combinations using "Decklink Video Capture" (video) and "Decklink Video Capture" (audio) but neither of these seems to provide any stream at all - not sure what they are meant for.

I guess in the end I may end up working up a good set of syntaxes I can use in ffmpeg, although I was hoping to be able to use a GUI of some sort to capture.

Any thoughts / workaround ideas would be appreciated.
05-24-2022, 04:58 PM
Free Member

Forget Vdub, try Virtualvcr, old but still relevant imo. If you want to experiment further graphedit is your tool (the kind of tool used by devs to troubleshoot customised filters (pre scaler etc..) necessary for optimum results / stability in many cases.
The following users thank themaster1 for this useful post: mrwassen (06-08-2022)

Tags
advc3000, decklink dv, jvc 7500