Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-12-2022, 03:25 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
I'm pretty sure the OP is miss informed about how a frame TBC work, Cleaning a signal is not actually a technical word nor that's what's actually happening. The frame TBC does not clean the VBI signal, it replaces it completely with a new digitized one. If the signal from the tape is good, leave it alone. The frame TBC has no effect on the picture quality and should not have, Its main function is to stabilize the frame and avoid audio drift. From the OP's samples the frames are as stable as they can be and he already stated that he did not have an audio drift without the frame TBC.
Thank you very much for your clarification, reading this I think everything has become clearer to me and I am going to return the Frame TBC to the seller.

By the way, I am looking to buy a JVC S-VHS PAL, I have read the post about the recommended ones, there is one in particular that you like, to be able to buy it? Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-12-2022, 04:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the OP is miss informed about how a frame TBC work, Cleaning a signal is not actually a technical word nor that's what's actually happening.
When you describe things to laymen, you can barf jabberwocky at them. You have to dumb it down, put it in terms that can be digested. Sometimes that suffices perfectly fine. Other times, you have to slowly crash-course the person into the more technical. But even then, avoid jargon when possible, in those early stages. Otherwise their eyes glaze over, and you're just blah-blah-blahing. I guess you've never taught classes? Intro info slowly.

Quote:
The frame TBC does not clean the VBI signal,
That's not all it does.

Quote:
The frame TBC has no effect on the picture quality and should not have,
That's not true, and is where "transparency" enters the equation. Far too many TBCs are junk, and barf noises into the signal. Some are faint, tolerable. Some outright molest the image.

Quote:
Its main function is to stabilize the frame and avoid audio drift.
No. The main goal is to strip, replace, and release timed. But even then, that's a specific version of a TBC, not frame TBC in general. In fact, "frame TBC" is a bit of a misnomer, most are actually "frame sync TBC" (and also not mere frame syncs).

Quote:
From the OP's samples the frames are as stable as they can be and he already stated that he did not have an audio drift without the frame TBC.
I think this is false equivalency. A known bad device was added. That doesn't negate the fact that a quality TBC was probably needed, even the weaker types paired to ES10/15 that pre/partial cleaned/purified. Again, ES10/15 contains mere frame sync, it grabs and releases without timing. That "gappy" nature can create dropped frames. (This is not too far away from genlocking (aka, why it exists), but that master/slave also isn't frame sync TBC.) Internally, it tends to dupe to avoid untimed output, but it's not perfect, just a cheap chip on a DVD recorder board. The main tell is how it lacks RAM buffering needed. I find it silly how some think a single chip replaces a bank of chips found on most frame sync TBCs. It just isn't so.

Quote:
If the signal from the tape is good, leave it alone.
But, at the end of the day, if your own tapes are working decently enough, I also agree with that last statement.

However, you'll have to carefully scrub your footage, because you cannot feel safe it's working without issue.

And then if you're doing this for anybody other than yourself, there's zero legitimate reason to not have TBCs, as from be cheap, and viewing video conversion as a "make me beer money" scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhAoS182 View Post
Thank you very much for your clarification, reading this I think everything has become clearer to me and I am going to return the Frame TBC to the seller.

By the way, I am looking to buy a JVC S-VHS PAL, I have read the post about the recommended ones, there is one in particular that you like, to be able to buy it? Thanks.
The 7000s are great: 7611, 7711, 7965, some others.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-12-2022, 07:57 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

That's not true, and is where "transparency" enters the equation. Far too many TBCs are junk, and barf noises into the signal. Some are faint, tolerable. Some outright molest the image.
They should not have to alter the video and that's the major point.

Quote:
That's not all it does
I didn't say that's all what it does, I said that's what it doesn't.

Quote:
No. The main goal is to strip, replace, and release timed.
Isn't that what I just said?

Anyway its all good here.
07-12-2022, 08:28 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
They should not have to alter the video and that's the major point.
Definitely should not ... but do.

Quote:
Isn't that what I just said?
Anyway its all good here.
I, uh ... huh?
Clearly I need more coffee. Or something.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-24-2022, 01:40 PM
Free Member

I’m trying to transfer PAL tapes with my new Panasonic NV-HS950 (TBC/3D-DNR On) with VirtualDub 1.9.11 using ATI 600 USB and Tevion Clone without Frame TBC and I have A/V sync issues. They aren’t synchronized, there’s no way and I don't know what to do anymore, I have tried many timing settings and nothing changes. I hace two PC, a very good built PC with Windows XP and my gamer PC with W10. In both I don’t get results.

Any help? Thanks.