Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-31-2022, 08:35 AM
Premium Member

As a general rule, is it better to capture with more or less contrast, if one intends to correct the video later on? See attachment.

Image on left with greatest contrast was captured with JVC S3910 -- Panasonic ES15 -- VC500.

Image on right with less contrast was captured with JVC VS30 -- DVK-200 -- AIW9600XT.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Comparison of rat video.jpg (30.6 KB, 23 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-31-2022, 01:54 PM
Free Member

Post the actual frame grabs not a screenshot for better assessment, Go to file, save image and choose quality 100% if there is an option for quality and upload here.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
07-31-2022, 06:00 PM
Free Member

In my opinion, I prefer the first setup.
07-31-2022, 08:51 PM
Free Member

I don't think this is a valid comparison. If you're asking only about different levels of contrast, the comparisons need to be created with exactly the same gear but at different contrast levels set in the procamp.

Re contrast, obviously if it is too high, you'll have blown-out whites from which detail cannot be retrieved. The level has to be low enough that detail can be retrieved by boosting in post-processing but high enough to not be too dark.
The following users thank Hushpower for this useful post: lordsmurf (08-01-2022)
07-31-2022, 09:00 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStrauss View Post
As a general rule, is it better to capture with more or less contrast, if one intends to correct the video later on?
Less contrast is better.

Too much contrast crushes blacks and blows out whites, neither of which can be recovered after capture.

Too little contrast can cause banding during levels/curves adjustment if there isn't enough grain to absorb it. VHS has plenty of grain so that's not a problem.
The following users thank traal for this useful post: lordsmurf (08-01-2022)
08-01-2022, 05:38 AM
Free Member

Bottom line is the answer is tape/clip specific. Recorded contrast is driven by the camera/recorder specifics/settings, scene lighting, and original edit decisions. (Some artistic intent may call for blown out highlights and/or inky backs.)

For capture you want the contrast set to the maximum that will still preserves the high lights and shadows of interest (not crushed or blown out) and gives the overall video the look/feel you want for the scenes in question. This can give you the most dynamic range in video to work with in post.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: lordsmurf (08-01-2022)
08-01-2022, 05:48 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStrauss View Post
As a general rule, is it better to capture with more or less contrast, if one intends to correct the video later on? See attachment.
Less.

Quote:
Image on right with less contrast was captured with JVC VS30 -- DVK-200 -- AIW9600XT.
And that's the better setup, not surprised. The VC500 has bad AGC, and the ES10/15 can cook contrast some (ie, again, why it's not a TBC, transparency is pretty lousy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
I don't think this is a valid comparison.
For this specific question, which seems to be not just a question of contrast, but a statement of the gear, it's fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traal View Post
Less contrast is better.
Too much contrast crushes blacks and blows out whites, neither of which can be recovered after capture.
Yes.

Quote:
Too little contrast can cause banding
Hmm. That may be related to gear or software more than anything else. Not necessarily the source contrast. This is where bit depth comes in especially (for the software; not the hardware here, unless proc amp, but don't be fooled by high bit numbers alone).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
For capture you want the contrast set to a maximum that will still preserves the high lights and shadows of interest (not crushed or blown out) and gives the overall video the look/feel you want for the scenes in question. This will give you the most to work with in post
For "somewhat raw" footage (referring to color grading, not codec) to be latter software processed, no.
For simple one-and-done transfers, yes.

Maximum (for the sake of being max) is rarely good, even when the max is believed "safe".

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-01-2022, 06:43 AM
Free Member

Quote:
It is better to capture the video as it is on tape, because the procamps in the cards are generally not that good, and it is better to have the captures as close as possible to the original video.
Reduce the procamp manipulation just to capture inside the range of the card, in order to avoid crushing blacks and clipping whites.

Then, if needed, enhace/reduce contrast and brightness in post-processing.

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
The following users thank lollo2 for this useful post: lordsmurf (08-01-2022)
08-01-2022, 06:49 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
It is better to capture the video as it is on tape, because the procamps in the cards are generally not that good, and it is better to have the captures as close as possible to the original video.
Reduce the procamp manipulation just to capture inside the range of the card, in order to avoid crushing blacks and clipping whites.
Then, if needed, enhace/reduce contrast and brightness in post-processing.
This is what I meant. Don't alter it, leave it lower contrast if needed. My understanding is that the hardware was giving those contrast results, the OP didn't alter anything either way.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-01-2022, 07:30 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
This is what I meant. Don't alter it, leave it lower contrast if needed. My understanding is that the hardware was giving those contrast results, the OP didn't alter anything either way.
It is my understanding as well, but in option 1 there is an ES-15 in the chain, which is not transparent if NR is on, and in any case is not that transparent anyhow, especially for "levels"; in addition, for some models there is a difference between scart output configured in Y/C and S-Video output.
I ignore the setting/control options for DVK-200 in option 2.

In any case, as you proprely noted, if all settings are in the more "neutral" mode possible for the 2 workflows, the difference in the original picture is large!