Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
09-18-2022, 06:36 PM
FleshWound FleshWound is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 23
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm capturing using a premium capture kit Lord Smurf put together (VCR + Frame TBC) via VirtualDub using the following settings that Lord Smurf helped me work out.

I noticed VirtualDub inserted some frames (only 21 over the course of the entire tape), but no frames were dropped. The audio lag seems to be within a second or so, so maybe the inserted frames are enough to make it feel really off. Can someone help me determine why VirtualDub is inserting frames, which is presumably why the audio and video are desynced? I'm open to the possibility that there are other issues, but it's definitely not dropped frames (or virtualdub is lying).

My "Settings for Dummies" notes:
1) Launch Lord Smurf's version of VirtualDub 1.9.11 (after installing Huffyuv)
2) File > Capture AVI...
3) Press F2 to set the destination and filename
4) Confirm Device selected is ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0 (DirectShow)
5) Confirm Video > Video source is set to Video SVideo
6) Confirm Capture > Settings is set to a frame rate of 29.9700
7) Go to Video > Compression... and ensure Huffyuv v2.1.1 is selected
8) Go to Audio > VOlume Meter to turn it on.
9) Go to Video > Set custom format... and ensure it is set to 720, 480, YUY2 YUV 4:2:2 interleaved
10 Go to Capture > Timing and make sure "Automatically disable resync when integrated audio/video capture is detected" is checked. In the same menu, uncheck "Force audio clock when audio playback is enabled"

Also, "Enable audio playback" is disabled.
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Ads / Sponsors
 
Join Date: ∞
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
09-20-2022, 08:24 AM
KhAoS182 KhAoS182 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 50
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same issue
Reply With Quote
  #3  
09-20-2022, 12:50 PM
lollo2 lollo2 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Italy
Posts: 622
Thanked 175 Times in 152 Posts
Although with your card is probably better to stay with VirtualDub and fix the issues of asynch audio/video there, you can give to AmarecTV a try

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
Reply With Quote
  #4  
09-20-2022, 02:33 PM
KhAoS182 KhAoS182 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 50
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
Although with your card is probably better to stay with VirtualDub and fix the issues of asynch audio/video there, you can give to AmarecTV a try
VirtualDub gives me the same problem… I can’t find the correct settings. I think I will try with Blackmagic capture card.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
09-21-2022, 02:26 AM
lollo2 lollo2 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Italy
Posts: 622
Thanked 175 Times in 152 Posts
You already have one of the best capture card, Blackmagic cards are not recommended for a capture through their analog inputs.

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
Reply With Quote
  #6  
09-21-2022, 04:47 AM
KhAoS182 KhAoS182 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 50
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
You already have one of the best capture card, Blackmagic cards are not recommended for a capture through their analog inputs.

I know lollo2, but I've been trying to make it work for months and there is no way, I don't know what else to try.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
09-21-2022, 06:30 AM
lollo2 lollo2 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Italy
Posts: 622
Thanked 175 Times in 152 Posts
If I understand correctly your post on videohelp forum, you have many inserted frames using Windows XP, ATI USB 600 and AmarecTV.

The inserted frames may depend on the specific tape: I have one tape that showed the same single inserted frame exactley at the same point across 4 different captures!

They may also depend on the hardware. From the PC side, you should capture to a separate drive than the drive where the OS in installed, disable antivirus, disable Wifi, disable disk indexing and disk cashing, disable internet access, terminate all processes running in background, double check the drivers of the cards and of the other components in use, remove any other usb device connected that is not the capture card, check the USB port, etc. The lossless SD capture flow is not requiring a high bandwidth, and modern disks and PCs are adequate for that, but it must be sustained without interruption for a long time. I do not even move the mouse while I am capturing.

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
Reply With Quote
  #8  
09-21-2022, 10:27 AM
KhAoS182 KhAoS182 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 50
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
If I understand correctly your post on videohelp forum, you have many inserted frames using Windows XP, ATI USB 600 and AmarecTV.

The inserted frames may depend on the specific tape: I have one tape that showed the same single inserted frame exactley at the same point across 4 different captures!

They may also depend on the hardware. From the PC side, you should capture to a separate drive than the drive where the OS in installed, disable antivirus, disable Wifi, disable disk indexing and disk cashing, disable internet access, terminate all processes running in background, double check the drivers of the cards and of the other components in use, remove any other usb device connected that is not the capture card, check the USB port, etc. The lossless SD capture flow is not requiring a high bandwidth, and modern disks and PCs are adequate for that, but it must be sustained without interruption for a long time. I do not even move the mouse while I am capturing.
I just tried that right now, I have the same problem, I'm so desperate to get it to work
Reply With Quote
  #9  
09-21-2022, 01:57 PM
lollo2 lollo2 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Italy
Posts: 622
Thanked 175 Times in 152 Posts
Do the many inserted frames appear in all of your tapes and captures?

If you capture the same segment more times, do the inserted frames appear at the same position in all captures?

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
Reply With Quote
  #10  
09-21-2022, 11:01 PM
FleshWound FleshWound is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 23
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
After testing various options it looks like my solution may be using the "do not resync" timing option. I captured a full film with it disabled. The sync looked good, and only single-digit frames were inserted (8, I think). Things were way off, by 1-2 seconds, when using the "Sync audio to video by resampling the audio to a faster or slower rate" option, and more frames were inserted (like 50+).

Now, this may not be an option for those not using a frame TBC, but my JVC VCR with line TBC + frame TBC + ATI USB 600 on Windows 7 seems to prefer this config. I plan to do more testing to confirm, but so far so good...

Also, this may be "duh" to some of you, but in case it isn't... Searching the guide linked below for "do not resync" was helpful for me. Lots of great info there.

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...-settings.html
Reply With Quote
  #11  
09-22-2022, 03:08 PM
FleshWound FleshWound is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 23
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Scratch what I said before. I did another test with sync disabled and the audio was totally desynced from the video again. I've attached screenshots of capture results and settings for both attempts.


Attached Images
File Type: jpg With Resync (audio ~1s earlier than video).jpg (73.4 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: jpg Without Resync (audio ~1s earlier than video).jpg (72.4 KB, 6 downloads)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
09-23-2022, 10:52 AM
FleshWound FleshWound is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 23
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I normally wouldn't keep posting back-to-back, but I don't see the option to edit posts. I wanted to rule out hard drive IO of my 2TB drive, so I saved some more test clips to my SSD (which isn't big enough for a full tape, but can handle a few clips). The clips were about 30 seconds a piece. The first clip looked in-sync. The second clip looked good as well. The third clip was totally off where the audio is once again a second or two ahead of the video.

This issue is maddening. Whether or not audio/video is synced is totally inconsistent, and because none of my tests have repeatable results I don't know how to nail down what's going on.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
09-23-2022, 02:57 PM
FleshWound FleshWound is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 23
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
If I understand correctly your post on videohelp forum, you have many inserted frames using Windows XP, ATI USB 600 and AmarecTV.

The inserted frames may depend on the specific tape: I have one tape that showed the same single inserted frame exactly at the same point across 4 different captures!

They may also depend on the hardware. From the PC side, you should capture to a separate drive than the drive where the OS in installed, disable antivirus, disable Wifi, disable disk indexing and disk cashing, disable internet access, terminate all processes running in background, double check the drivers of the cards and of the other components in use, remove any other usb device connected that is not the capture card, check the USB port, etc. The lossless SD capture flow is not requiring a high bandwidth, and modern disks and PCs are adequate for that, but it must be sustained without interruption for a long time. I do not even move the mouse while I am capturing.
Thanks for this post. I tried all of this as well. I also tried swapping from a USB 2.0 port to a 3.0 port just to see if it made any difference.

I did learn ONE thing, which is that USB activity absolutely has an effect on inserted frames. I have a USB switch that swaps my keyboard, mouse, and webcam between my work and home PCs. Every time I would swap back and forth between them, I'd see a surge in inserted frames. Within a couple of minutes I could easily top 200 inserted frames just jumping back and forth between the two.

But, even with absolutely nothing else going on, if I press F6 to initiate a capture, VirtualDub hangs for a moment, then I ALWAYS getting inserted frames between 8 and 20+ right at the beginning of the capture (even if I set the process priority to "High" in task manager). I tried initiating a capture, then waiting to play the tape until after VirtualDub was mid-capture, but the audio is still off, so my best guess is that the inserted frames at the beginning are pushing back the tape's video as well (Tell me if I'm dead wrong here, but even if I am, the fact remains that the audio is ahead of the video).

I've just about tried everything I know to try...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
09-23-2022, 04:54 PM
lollo2 lollo2 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Italy
Posts: 622
Thanked 175 Times in 152 Posts
Quote:
I've just about tried everything I know to try...
Last chance, try AmarecTV

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
Reply With Quote
  #15  
09-24-2022, 03:06 PM
kazmania kazmania is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Following. I've just started this journey recently but am having a similar issue and trying to make heads or tails of it. Haven't tried AmarecTV but it's worth a shot. I've been trying various recommended configurations in VirtualDub so far with no success.
Currently working on 8MM tapes using a Sony DCR-TRV350 going to an I-O Data GV-USB2. Video looks great but audio is wildly out of sync, particularly towards the end of the tape. And this is with a seemingly good quality tape (2006) with zero reported dropped frames. I'm starting to think it's the card but others have reported success with the GV-USB2 so idk.
I've also got a JVC SR-V10U but haven't started on my VHS tapes yet. Planning on testing that out to narrow down possible sources of error.
Anyway, please update if you find something that works for you. I'll do the same.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
09-24-2022, 10:05 PM
FleshWound FleshWound is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 23
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
Last chance, try AmarecTV
Thank you. I'd seen it mentioned around the forum, but your post was an extra vote of approval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhAoS182 View Post
I just tried that right now, I have the same problem, I'm so desperate to get it to work
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazmania View Post
Following. I've just started this journey recently but am having a similar issue and trying to make heads or tails of it. Haven't tried AmarecTV but it's worth a shot. I've been trying various recommended configurations in VirtualDub so far with no success.
Currently working on 8MM tapes using a Sony DCR-TRV350 going to an I-O Data GV-USB2. Video looks great but audio is wildly out of sync, particularly towards the end of the tape. And this is with a seemingly good quality tape (2006) with zero reported dropped frames. I'm starting to think it's the card but others have reported success with the GV-USB2 so idk.
I've also got a JVC SR-V10U but haven't started on my VHS tapes yet. Planning on testing that out to narrow down possible sources of error.
Anyway, please update if you find something that works for you. I'll do the same.
Hey you two, I just published this guide. Hope it helps you on your way
Reply With Quote
  #17  
09-27-2022, 08:19 PM
kazmania kazmania is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
AmaRecTV did it. Wish I had tried it earlier. Everything seems to be working smoothly.

Thanks for the the guide FleshWound - lots of helpful material in there.
Reply With Quote
The following users thank kazmania for this useful post: lollo2 (09-28-2022)
  #18  
09-27-2022, 11:34 PM
FleshWound FleshWound is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 23
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazmania View Post
AmaRecTV did it. Wish I had tried it earlier. Everything seems to be working smoothly.

Thanks for the the guide FleshWound - lots of helpful material in there.
Happy to help! I figured if that guide helped even one person who was struggling like I was, then it was worth the effort. Happy archiving!
Reply With Quote
The following users thank FleshWound for this useful post: Hushpower (09-28-2022)
  #19  
10-02-2022, 12:39 PM
KhAoS182 KhAoS182 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 50
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm desperate, I will pay €100 to whoever helps me solve the problem with my captures, I don't know if it is some component of my capture computer, configuration, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
10-02-2022, 11:38 PM
traal traal is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 289
Thanked 59 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshWound View Post
I did learn ONE thing, which is that USB activity absolutely has an effect on inserted frames. I have a USB switch that swaps my keyboard, mouse, and webcam between my work and home PCs. Every time I would swap back and forth between them, I'd see a surge in inserted frames. Within a couple of minutes I could easily top 200 inserted frames just jumping back and forth between the two.
I plug my capture card directly into the PC, or rather into a USB extension cable that plugs directly into the PC, and I never get inserted or dropped frames when I use the mouse. In fact, my capture card doesn't even work if it's plugged into a USB hub, and maybe that's a good thing.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Consistent audio/video desync (150-200ms); capture or post? lijeu Capture, Record, Transfer 4 11-26-2021 06:30 PM
Odd audio popping on linear audio track? ENunn Capture, Record, Transfer 6 03-07-2021 04:37 PM
JVC SR-MV45 distorted audio when playing linear audio on SLP tapes? ChunkDaMan Capture, Record, Transfer 17 08-12-2019 04:55 PM
Capturing VHS: Audio to AIW 9800 Pro vs. audio to sound card? ChunkDaMan Capture, Record, Transfer 4 07-31-2019 04:18 AM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 PM