10-12-2022, 08:39 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
My understanding is a frame TBC will correct/minimise audio sync issues.
Sort of. Frame TBC prevents audio issues, not correct them. The video timing (time base) is corrected on a temporal axis (interframe). Audio sync issues, audio skew, is due to dropped video frames, and audio has no frames. The audio is a track. If you have 25fps with drops, but the audio is 1 second, you have skew.

But frame TBC does much more than simply prevents audio skew issues.

Quote:
The line TBC in higher-end S-VHS VCRs (or a ES-type DVD recorder) will fix image issues such as wonky colours and wobbles/tearing.
Correct. Line TBC corrects the image, working on intraframe axis.

Quote:
and my own (limited) experience, I'd be getting the VCR and capture stick first. Provided it has an inbuilt line TBC (or you're using a ES-type DVD recorder as a passthrough) and the tapes are OK, your sync may be OK and there'd be no need for a frame TBC.
This scenario is rare, and it's never applies to all tapes in a collection (or even a majority).

Quote:
You can always add a frame TBC afterward if things don't work out.
But depending on factors, it may add high shipping costs due to double shipping, if both items were initially both available together. And the likelihood of not needing frame TBC is low to none. Availability is also a concern, and a TBC available today may not be there tomorrow, or many tomorrows thereafter.

I've dealt with this scenario more than most folks know. For many members of this site, trying to avoid costs has only led to further later costs.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Hushpower (10-12-2022)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors