Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-28-2023, 01:05 AM
Free Member

So I'm attempting to archive a few tapes, but my VHS player is having issues with its built in TBC. I've attached some examples below, and the built in TBC generally works as it should, but seemingly pushes the bad color data off to the right side. I don't actually know if that's what its doing, but that's what it feels like. The issue is more noticeable on pinks and greens, but is still present throughout. When the TBC is turned off, the color is fine throughout the entire picture.

I'm sure on a CRT it wouldn't be as noticeable, but for archiving purposes it is kind of distracting.

I do own another S-VHS player and an external TBC, but both need some touch ups or repair before I can test them.

Anyways, TL;DR: Is this a common issue, and can anything be done about it? If it's bad capacitors I could fix that easily, but if it's just how the chip works that's doing the correcting, then I'd rather not mess with it and just find an alternative (ex. other S-VHS VCR or fix/buy a working external TBC).

Thanks for any help!

Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 12.45.49 AM.jpg
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-28-2023, 02:14 AM
Free Member

I would assume it's a problem, because it shouldn't do that, But troublshooting such a problem can be deficult, If you think it's worth it start from the power supply first, check all voltages and capacitors and then move to the video board.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
02-28-2023, 01:50 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the response! That's what I had figured unfortunately. I opened it up earlier and the TBC is actually a separate board, and easy to access. I might have to poke around and there and see if I can find anything off.