03-15-2023, 03:45 PM
Unconfirmed User

Hi there - I've had a TBC-3000 since 2016. Got it for $75 on eBay as a total newb and didn't think much of it until I looked up how much they go for these days. Yikes.

So anyway, I'm looking to get the best out of it. Not sure if it needs to be recapped or adjusted in any way. Is there any routine service or adjustment that would be worth investing in? It does what I wanted it to do since day one, which is stabilize and sync two composite signals so I can send to my Fairlight CVI, or use with my capture device (currently a BM Video assist).

To me, there's never been much of a noticeable leap in picture quality per se when using it, just a slight stabilization and an ability to capture, which is my main concern. My Mitsubishi HD-2000U TBC/DNR setting seems to work a lot better at cleaning up signals, but I guess that's because of the DNR.

Anywho. I made some comparison images attached, because one thing I have noticed is that the TBC shifts the image to the right on most VHS I try to capture. Even to the point where the black bar on the left is sticking out and letting in part of the image on the left side of it (hard to see but its in image 02-TBC3000.jpg. There are certain tapes that are naturally shifted to the left, and the effect actually centers the image, which is nice (see images "01"). I've noticed there's at least one other thread about this phenomena, but haven't seen a solution to it. Any help or thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01-VCROnly.jpg (176.1 KB, 19 downloads)
File Type: jpg 01-TBC3000.jpg (173.4 KB, 18 downloads)
File Type: jpg 02-VCRonly.jpg (111.4 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: jpg 02-TBC3000.jpg (116.9 KB, 15 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-15-2023, 07:19 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
TBC-3000 = frame TBC
frame TBC = for cleaning the signal
line TBC = for cleaning the image
You need both.
The TBC-3000 should be invisible, aside from removing frame-based issues, and when using the proc amp.

Source, VCRs, TBCs, etc -- all control image centering.

Odds are this is not the coveted 4th gen unit, but more likely 2nd. I'd have to see board images for a hint, though visual confirmation determines the gen.

TBC-3000 caps can happen. Not as much as the 1000.

When looking at all of the best possible VCRcs to use, those Mitsubishi are literally at the bottom of the list. Multiple issues, overall craptastic. Again, in context of "the best VCRs for conversion". Obviously most low end VHS VCRs are worse, but non-TBC S-VHS is arguable at times. So it may be cascading signal issues, I'd need to see TBC performance from another deck before making any judgments on possible offset.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-15-2023, 07:59 PM
Free Member

The TBC-3000 I have also moves the image rightwards (so much so that it ends up cropping off a bit on the right side on most tapes which is rather annoying). There isn't any adjustment pots in it so I don't know of any way to adjust it. Haven't looked in detail if the chips have anything related controlled by input pins though.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
03-16-2023, 12:27 AM
Free Member

Yeah it's common. Almost none of the Datavideo TBCs are perfect. Every one I have does some kind of color change or image shift. My TBC6000 shifts a couple pixels. Nothing too serious. My TBC7000 doesn't shift at all. My 1000s don't usually shift but they have various color issues.
03-16-2023, 08:50 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Remember: analog. Not digital precision. So all units have some slight variations.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-16-2023, 12:28 PM
Unconfirmed User

Thanks all for the replies. Noted on the transparent nature of TBC. I guess its something I'll have to live with, but is annoying when it cuts off the right side of the frame as it does in the 02 photos I attached.

Also noted on the Mitsubishi. I just picked up a JVC with TBC (see my post in the Premium section for other issue I'm having with the Mitsu) so we'll see if that helps.

I might open it up just to take a look around. What am I looking for to identify what generation it is?

Tags
datavideo, tbc, tbc-3000, tbc3000