Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-12-2023, 03:03 PM
Free Member

I have 20yo+ content and 20yo+ hardware. I want to capture lots of content, primarily VHS, and mini DV. Also, some VHS-C and S-VHS. Current hardware includes:

Capture Cards
-Matrox RTX100XP
-Radeon AIW 9700 Pro

S-VHS Deck
-JVR HR-7100U

Initial research on this forum suggests these pricey models would be ideal.
-JVC SR-VS30U (S-VHS/Mini DV)
-Datavideo TBC-1000 Time Base Corrector

I might be able to offset the cost of new gear by capturing some friends'/family's content before ultimately reselling said new gear, but I'd rather borrow or rent something as a one off. I have some industry connections, but I'd rather know what I'm seeking first.

One colleague suggested a Canopus ADVC-300 which this forum pooh-poohed.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-12-2023, 04:36 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H27790 View Post
I have 20yo+ content and 20yo+ hardware. I want to capture lots of content, primarily VHS, and mini DV. Also, some VHS-C and S-VHS. Current hardware includes:
That cements the fact that quality hardware is needed.
Budget/cheap hardware will save some dollars, but cost your sanity (frustration, irritation, quitting).

Quote:
Capture Cards
-Matrox RTX100XP
-Radeon AIW 9700 Pro
AIW best.
Once upon a time, I worshipped the RT.X100 cards. That day passed long ago.

Quote:
S-VHS Deck
-JVR HR-7100U
Meh.

Quote:
Initial research on this forum suggests these pricey models would be ideal.
-JVC SR-VS30U (S-VHS/Mini DV)
-Datavideo TBC-1000 Time Base Corrector
I don't like the term "pricey" here. The opposite of low-end cheap items is not "pricey", especially not when understanding these are just tools for the capture task in front of you. It's not a Ming vase, or a fancy purse/shoes, or a 70s MOC Star Wars figure. It's not cash-wasting crap, but just a good power drill that won't break. Tools, not toys.

Quote:
I might be able to offset the cost of new gear by capturing some friends'/family's content before ultimately reselling said new gear,
Yes. Buy it, use it, resell it. It holds value.

Quote:
but I'd rather borrow
Unlikely.

Quote:
or rent something as a one off.
Nope, won't happen.

Quote:
I have some industry connections, but I'd rather know what I'm seeking first.
One colleague suggested a Canopus ADVC-300 which this forum pooh-poohed.
Connections are good, but be careful. Capturing video is not just any random video skill. Video is multiple niches. Your colleague either (a) has limited knowledge on capture, or (b) has zero quality standards, as the 300 is the worst of the DV boxes, and the DV boxes are 1990s video tech. Seriously, those boxes had minimum system specs of a Pentium II, with Pentium III suggested.

There is a lot of video I don't know, such as HD editing. But I also know what I don't know, which is sometimes still more advanced that others (as they don't know what they don't know). My specialty is analog source ingest/capture, processing, and restoration.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-12-2023, 04:59 PM
Free Member

I was hoping you might reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I don't like the term "pricey" here. The opposite of low-end cheap items is not "pricey", especially not when understanding these are just tools for the capture task in front of you. It's not a Ming vase, or a fancy purse/shoes, or a 70s MOC Star Wars figure. It's not cash-wasting crap, but just a good power drill that won't break. Tools, not toys.
Pricey, just like expensive, is relative. Tools can be expensive depending on a person's budget. I'm not talking about objective value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Connections are good, but be careful. Capturing video is not just any random video skill. Video is multiple niches. Your colleague either (a) has limited knowledge on capture, or (b) has zero quality standards, as the 300 is the worst of the DV boxes, and the DV boxes are 1990s video tech. Seriously, those boxes had minimum system specs of a Pentium II, with Pentium III suggested.
I'm well aware. This individual works at a restoration company, so I gave the opinion weight. But note that I still followed up and didn't take it at face value.

Respected commentary aside, my initial question (title) was not answered.
05-12-2023, 05:40 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H27790 View Post
my initial question (title) was not answered.
Actually ... it was, sort of. You somewhat answered you own question.

VS30 is fine, but condition matters.
There are multiple recommended JVC S-VHS VCRs with line TBC.
Do not buy the JVC VHS+DV decks, expecting to use the DV. It's crap, design flaw, always eats tapes eventually. For DV, use a DV camera.

DataVideo TBC-1000 is fine, I guess, but that model is more and more becoming a problem due to component aging (not just caps, either). You're often better off with Cypress units, unless you get the TBC-1000 refurb'd/overhauled. Do not trust eBay whatsoever for TBCs, those are costly/pricey for what they are (or more accurately: aren't). It's a lot of money for bad units, even the units promised to be "working" and "tested" (all BS).

If you want to expand past a simple workflow (VCR>TBC>capture card), then you can add a VCR or different brand/model (AG-1980) or different lineage/model (another JVC from HR series), and proc amps and detailers. But again, condition matters. No flimsy promises, not model # alone.

Quote:
Tools can be expensive
Sure, but we're talking baseline models/costs here. Nothing "fancy". Just nothing barebones and inferior either, aka cheapest of cheap.

There's a lot of price griping these days, but it's because people try to give video capture hardware the same budget they have for lunch (cheeseburger and fries). Not something comparable to a desktop or laptop computer, as it should be. That's my point here, the frame of reference on pricing.

Quote:
This individual works at a restoration company
Wow. Just ... wow.
Trying to restore DV source is like running a marathon with a broken leg. The more you run, the worse it gets.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs