Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-23-2023, 09:43 AM
Free Member

Hi
I am using a 'cheap' scart to usb unit.
I get a lot of breaking up, yellow/purple horz lines.
Not completly all the time, I get 2 or 3 seconds of ok, then the picture breaks completley.
I have tried 3 pc's and 2 vcr players.

Roy
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-23-2023, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

Hi

I see this your first post here, welcome!

So what is your question exactly?

are you asking if this is a tape issue?
a "scart to USB" convertor issue?
asking for a solution?

In general posting a video sample (or even images) will always get you a more helpful answer faster. So feel free to upload samples
05-24-2023, 06:59 AM
Free Member

I want to know what to do about it.
Video attached.
I read it may be 'slow' usb port, it is plugged into usb2 (blue) ports.
any help would be good.

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 jul aug 2000 (02).mp4 (4.00 MB, 11 downloads)
05-24-2023, 11:53 AM
Free Member

While it looks like a color format miss match, More infor needed, what format the tapes are? what format the VCR? what is the capturing format? ...etc. Keep in mind that those cheap devices have format compatibility issues and their main purpose is to make few bucks profit for the manufacturer not capturing video.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
05-24-2023, 01:29 PM
Premium Member

slow usb port?

USB is quite fast, as long as you are using a computer that is not from 2000 with USB1.0

I am not aware of a particular thing that will solve this, the green lines is what one of the devices I own would make when (wrongly) set on NTSC while digitizing PAL sources. (@latreche34 +1)

Are you in PAL land (Europe) or in France (SECAM)?

you sent a 480p video with 25fps and you talk about SCART...resized PAL?

Your capture card is probably going to need to be replaced, but since you changed VCRs and laptops there are only 2 constants, the capture card and the tape. I don't know if a bad tape would generate such a thing...?
I would say the chances of the device being the culprit are higher.

The device being cheap is not the problem, it is just because it is bad, I have owned an 8$ easy cap, it worked fine for its price, never saw anything like this with it.

Can you plug any of the VCRs to a TV to test?

If budget is really a big concern and you just want to make a test you can look for August vgb on Amazon, costs about 20 pounds/euros, comes with SCART adapter and it is very acceptable (especially for its price).
05-26-2023, 03:21 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the answers.
It is a Easycap unit .
The tapes work ok into the TV.
I'm in a PAL area, but have tried NTFS as well.
Software, I am using is the program that came with it and windows camera.
It could bea faulty Easycap? It cost £6 anthe the sellers refunded £3 cause I told them it could be faulty.
I only have 10 hours to convert, so didn't want to spend much.
05-26-2023, 03:44 AM
Premium Member

If it works fine on TV then you obviously have your answer.

There is a line between not wanting to spend much, and doing fake saving, you thought you saved money, but you obviously wasted it.

It is like saying I want to browse the internet for 10 hours only, so I am gonna buy a laptop for 6 quids.

do as I told you, second-hand a reasonable device like the link below or august vgb from amazon for 20 pounds.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225560997053

You will still get something out of your tapes with these.

If your focus is on the destination and not the journey, i.e you just want your videos, don't care about having video gear, etc, and given the small number of tapes, it is always better to find someone to do the tapes for you in the UK/EU.

If you're unable to find someone, I can do it (if they're clean, no mold), friendly, I am not a digitization service.
05-29-2023, 05:25 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Easycap earned the nickname "Easycrap". Those literally cost less than $1 to make in China. Total junk, not even worth $1. Even at only £3, you were ripped off.

This is a non-starter for a DIY, unless better gear is used. With only 10 hours, perhaps simply pay a reputable service.

If mbassiouny is willing to help, consider that offer. He has excellent gear, he knows quality methods.
Another option is video99.co.uk, but you'll get somewhat lossy PAL DV.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs