Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-05-2024, 05:27 AM
Free Member

Hi all

I am finally growing up, and wish to ditch capturing VHS to DVD then ripping the MPEG-2. I want to modernise, and I want to make sure I'm capturing in the best quality. I've got a box of tapes waiting to be converted. The principles are:

- I want to have an minimal equipment as possible.
- I want to capture in the best quality possible, with accurate colours, a TBC, and a good VCR deck (I don't yet own a JVC, but you can see I have asked for the 7600AM here)
- I need a deck that will play PAL and true NTSC as I don't have the space for two decks unless I ditch the DVD and the VCR will fit in that rack space.
- I need to run wires into other rooms, above ceilings, so all possible wires I will need need to be factored in upfront.
- I want to be able to capture anything coming out of my AVR (not just VHS) and see it on my TV at the same time which my AVR does - though I am willing to make a special case for VHS

Current Physical Setup

Here is my current physical setup. I thought I'd post this here so you can see I am limited for space. Not only could I not fit separate PAL and NTSC decks, but swapping them when needed would be a pain because of the tight space to get cables (trust me, the air was blue to get this setup you see here working).

Option 1 - Leave as is

This is my current workflow with the exception of the 4K60 Pro, because I have a custom PC on order with this fitted. Should get it next week. This is what I was happy with until I started doing research, realising JVC was the go-to for VHS. I was recording to the DVD, but what prompted this whole upgrade is I was sick of doing it and I wanted a more modern format... but I thought I would still need the DVD to get HDMI out. I know that's not the case now because my AVR has component and composite in, so I assume this option isn't viable.

Option 2 - Ditch DVD Recorder
As above, I would take DVD out, and connect directly to the AVR. However, the DVD scart can output RGB (which is similar to component, but not quite, right?) so that may be a part solution to keep it there.

Option 3 - Get a JVC, ditch DVD Recorder, use S-Video to Component
This is where I went down a rabbit hole. While researching, I've been led to believe that S-Video is king, but I've read that it's actually component. This pleased me, because my AVR doesn't have S-Video in. So I have ordered an S-Vide to Component cable. It was cheap enough that I will try it - and I know I will not get Component quality, but I will get S-Video quality, or am I wrong here?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Physical.jpg (86.5 KB, 38 downloads)
File Type: jpg Workflow Option 1.jpg (17.3 KB, 38 downloads)
File Type: jpg Workflow Option 2.jpg (24.6 KB, 37 downloads)
File Type: jpg Workflow Option 3.jpg (25.0 KB, 38 downloads)

Last edited by Nitro87; 02-05-2024 at 05:59 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-05-2024, 11:22 AM
Free Member

There is no such S-Video to component cable, S-Video is analog Y-C a chroma under tape format scheme, Component is analog YPbPr, the color processing is different for both so they cannot be converted to each other without an active circuit in between, and it is not a good idea to convert between the two anyway as losses will occur. I have no idea why you use your AVR in the capturing process, Just get a decent capture card or device.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
02-05-2024, 12:27 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
There is no such S-Video to component cable, S-Video is analog Y-C a chroma under tape format scheme, Component is analog YPbPr, the color processing is different for both so they cannot be converted to each other without an active circuit in between, and it is not a good idea to convert between the two anyway as losses will occur. I have no idea why you use your AVR in the capturing process, Just get a decent capture card or device.
Attached is a pic of the cable, and it may not be the right thing - but for the price I thought it would be worth a go.

The reason for the AVR is numerous.

My capture card only accepts HDMI in, and all my devices (except the VCR) are HDMI. I can capture other things with it.

I did look for a capture card with S-Video in, and audio composite in, but couldn't find one that wasn't exclusively compatible to Windows XP, though if you have a recommendation, I'd appreciate it.

I could do without my VCR being on my AVR, but the reason why I thought to put it there would be convenience (no need to run cables through wall and ceiling) and the fact that my assumption (and this is where I need you to tell me if this is right or wrong) is that it will passthrough whatever signal I give it.

So if I give it a component signal, it'll pass that through to HDMI, and while it will not be a digital signal, it'll be the absolute best quality under the circumstances.

Again, happy for you to tell me what you'd recommend - but the kicker is finding the correct VCR in the first instance.

I don't even know if they do S-Video and composite audio cables long enough to get from my AVR, up through ceiling and across down to my PC as I don't want to run cables across the floor of the room.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg (70.1 KB, 8 downloads)
02-05-2024, 12:37 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro87 View Post
So if I give it a component signal, it'll pass that through to HDMI, and while it will not be a digital signal, it'll be the absolute best quality under the circumstances.
No, that's where you're wrong, the best quality is Y-C from VCR all the way to the capture card.

Quote:
Again, happy for you to tell me what you'd recommend - but the kicker is finding the correct VCR in the first instance.
I let other members who use USB capture devices make recommendations.

Quote:
I don't even know if they do S-Video and composite audio cables long enough to get from my AVR, up through ceiling and across down to my PC as I don't want to run cables across the floor of the room.
Not recommended running a high impedance interconnect cable more than 3 feet, It will collect noise for every additional foot even if it's properly shielded, Separate your capturing rig from your entertainment system.
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: Nitro87 (02-05-2024)
02-05-2024, 12:44 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,467 Times in 2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro87 View Post
I've been led to believe that S-Video is king, but I've read that it's actually component. This pleased me, because my AVR doesn't have S-Video in.
No, s-video is Y/C, and the native data on the tape. Component is essentially RGB, or a YUV, and requires prcessing. That processing is never a good thing, when it comes to videotape conversion.

What frame rates (fps), and resolution, have you been capturing to?

I'll reply again more later. So many questions, so little time.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-05-2024, 12:51 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
No, s-video is Y/C, and the native data on the tape. Component is essentially RGB, or a YUV, and requires prcessing. That processing is never a good thing, when it comes to videotape conversion.
Thank you for correcting me on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
What frame rates (fps), and resolution, have you been capturing to?
Previously, I simply used a DVD recorder so either 720x480 or 720x576. I am now sick of taking discs out, ripping them, and then I'm always loathed to convert them to MP4... and thought "I need to capture to MP4 in the first place, or at least capture in lossless AVI then convert" so I started doing research, found your thread about the JVCs, saw latreche34's post about his 7600AM.

So with this new batch, I haven't started converting and I won't until I have all of the right equipment for the job.