Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-16-2024, 12:03 AM
Free Member

Hey everyone, so first of all I'd like to express my appreciation for this site because the information here saved me lots of headaches. Last year I digitized almost 60 home videos that my grandfather took of the whole family several years before he passed. This Christmas, as a present, I finished the project in time to give to everyone in the family. It was awesome. Now that I'm done with it, I've been reading up on vhs decode. I know that it's been in development for several years now, but I was wondering if anyone has recently seen any noticeable improvements being made in this space. I just wanna know if i should prepare or something in case it becomes a viable way to capture in the future.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-16-2024, 12:40 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slushly View Post
but I was wondering if anyone has recently seen any noticeable improvements being made in this space.
I just wanna know if i should prepare or something in case it becomes a viable way to capture in the future.
No.

Quote:
Hey everyone, so first of all I'd like to express my appreciation for this site because the information here saved me lots of headaches. Last year I digitized almost 60 home videos that my grandfather took of the whole family several years before he passed. This Christmas, as a present, I finished the project in time to give to everyone in the family. It was awesome. Now that I'm done with it, I've been reading up on vhs decode. I know that it's been in development for several years now,
Most people have a huge misunderstanding of what it is, does, can do, or what all is involved.

What, precisely, do you think it can accomplish for you?
Most likely, you are mistaken.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-07-2024, 02:25 PM
Free Member

There’s absolutely been improvement to VHS-Decode over the past few years compared to what come up in search engine. It is a very viable technique to use right now and you most likely will get better result than you would get with regular consumer vcr (using the same consumer vcr for the rf capture).

<snip>

I’ll be happy to show you comparison samples of captures made with and without VHS-Decode using vcr that normal peoples have and use.

Last edited by lordsmurf; 04-07-2024 at 02:48 PM. Reason: False snide comments removed. -LS
The following users thank SkinnyV for this useful post: schtroumpf_lapa (04-07-2024)
04-07-2024, 02:58 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Indeed, the project has progressed. But how much, how well, is open to opinion.

And yes, it can use generic low-end VHS VCRs, but quality achieved is still arguable compared to what the ES10/15 and decent capture cards can do. Not that it's suggested, but it's viable for lower-end lower-quality work.

The "best part" of vhs-decode is that you make huge non-video files on the computer. So you're not capturing video, you're capturing "data" that has to be interpreted to make yet more video files. Very time consuming, very drive/space consuming. The HDD/SSD space alone somewhat negates any costs savings.

It's surely a fun tinker project, like building model rockets, for those who want to dabble in video.

vhs-decode is not a verboten subject, but the hostile BS will not be tolerated here. The FUD ramblings/rantings of the young newbie 21-year-old "documentarian" will not be repeated at this site.

EDIT:

No, we're not doing this again.

Bumping a post after 2 months is just trying to start an argument, and we'll have none of that here.

- None of that "gives me my freedumb of speech!!!" nonsense.
- None of that "go to __ site instead!!!" aka spam.
- None of that "you sell stuff, so this is a conspiracy!!!" nonsense -- all because I sell a few things (ie, not a store).

No, no, and hell no.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Closed Thread