05-12-2024, 09:29 AM
Free Member

Hi!

i've read online that is possible to record a VHS using my Blackmagic Intensity Pro (not 4k).
I tried so hard doing it, but it seemed to be impossible.
Going in the "Edit to tape" menu in BM Media Express Windows app is impossible, because this option is colored in grey and unclickable.
I installed several old versions of this program, but I'm still not able to make it work.
What should I do?
Apparently it is picky about the type of video file the capture card could output.
I tried many different combination of video properties, but they were not compatible.
Even a capture by the Intensity Pro is not eligible to be outputted to the VCR.

Do you have any suggestion? Thank you so much
The following users thank johnEtna for this useful post: lordsmurf (05-12-2024)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-12-2024, 11:12 AM
Free Member

I would ask in the Blackmagic Forum also.
05-12-2024, 11:12 AM
Free Member

Did you install the driver? When you run the desktop installation software and you go to setup your device, it should show you a menu where you setup your inputs and outputs, If you haven't done so that means your device is not setup correctly.

Black magic forum and blackmagic company are useless, The people that hang out in the forum usually are pro and semi pro, they don't deal with VHS.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
05-12-2024, 04:30 PM
Free Member

This is something I was looking into doing more for creating test patterns/videos from modern sources such as YouTube.

I think what you need to do is open your content in a nonlinear editor like Davinci Resolve and set your card up as a "monitor" in settings. This is usually done in professional environments because it bypasses all of the display settings/color space (perfect for color calibrations) and doesn't use your graphics card's resources at all.

In my case, I've tried it with an Ultrastudio Monitor 3G which outputs SDI - The idea then would be to use any variety of SDI to analog converters to get whatever type of desired output which can include S-Video, Composite, or Component which could then be recorded onto VHS.

I don't think you can use an output device from the BM Media Express app alone, but I could be wrong.
The following users thank aramkolt for this useful post: johnEtna (05-14-2024)
05-13-2024, 09:47 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnEtna View Post
possible to record a VHS using my [capture device].
I tried so hard doing it, but it seemed to be impossible.
Apparently it is picky about the type of video file the capture card could output.
I tried many different combination of video properties, but they were not compatible.
Even a capture by the Intensity Pro is not eligible to be outputted to the VCR.
Do you have any suggestion?
What exactly do you want to do, and what equipment are you using?

Project details, computer info, VCR info, other relevant hardware & software info, cabling available, etc.

recommended vcr+line tbc ---(Y/C)--> recommended frame tbc or "tbc-ish" ---(Y/C)--> capture
05-13-2024, 12:48 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I don't think you can use an output device from the BM Media Express app alone, but I could be wrong.
Aramkolt I was induced to think this in a Youtube video by Reasonably British, but I had so many difficulties I had to ask here.
Your comment in particular was the most useful, I was able to record my VHS today after a lot of hours spent trying to make Media Express working.

Now I'm trying to find the perfect resolution to send to VCR, in order to avoid it to be cut at the border.
Apparently is better tro transmit a 5:4 image, but the image is cut a little.
I set a custom output resolution (720:540) but it creates a letterbox effect.
I don't know if you have any more suggestions, I'm still experimenting.

Thank you so much, your advice was great.
05-13-2024, 03:59 PM
Free Member

I was inquiring about this some time ago using the shuttle as I did not have a desktop and ended up using something different at the last post of this thread.

05-15-2024, 02:36 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,484 Times in 2,113 Posts
As lousy as DV is for ingest, I would consider use it for output. Some of the "higher end" (oxymoron?) DV boxes have output, not just input. I don't know the exact software process offhand (depends on NLE and version), but you'd essentially compress a timeline to DV, then output it to the box, and the box passes it out to a VCR. A DV camera may also work, with the added benefit of writing to tape.

I actually think that would be easiest. Not the mess that is Blackmagic gear, and noting it especially sucks at SD analog work.

The DV output should be both vastly easier and vastly cheaper.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-15-2024, 10:19 AM
Free Member

You can do that but every file has to be rendered into DV, time consuming compared to HDMI to analog conversion on the fly and a media player playing the file, No computer needed.

Last edited by latreche34; 05-15-2024 at 11:08 AM.
05-15-2024, 02:19 PM
Free Member

If you have a DV camcorder, you can use it as a passthrough. Connect it to your computer via FireWire, then connect the camcorder's A/V output to your VCR's input.
05-15-2024, 02:48 PM
Free Member

FWIW, I use an NLE to output SD video from the Intensity Pro. The breakout cables allow both S-VIDEO and composite (as well as component). Set the NLE format to the analog NTSC or PAL standard, not the digital standard. Select the IP as the output/preview device in the NLE'

I create various test patterns in Photoshop at the appropriate resolution for analog video output.

Note that the S-VIDEO chroma signal can far exceed the resolution provided by the VHS tape format
05-16-2024, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnEtna View Post
I was able to record my VHS today after a lot of hours spent trying to make Media Express working.

Now I'm trying to find the perfect resolution to send to VCR, in order to avoid it to be cut at the border.
Apparently is better to transmit a 5:4 image, but the image is cut a little.
I set a custom output resolution (720:540) but it creates a letterbox effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
FWIW, I use an NLE to output SD video [...] Set the NLE format to the analog NTSC or PAL standard, not the digital standard. Select the IP as the output/preview device in the NLE
Good to know the NLE output option, never thought of that before. Thanks for that info.

I've always just done direct s-video output from graphics card straight to VCR input at 800x600 or 1280x960. Opened up desired video and images and made it full screen.

The NLE path sounds better as it obviously doesn't require running a 2nd spare graphics card taking up a PCIe slot just to use the s-video output. I imagine there's no difference between the NLE or a GPU sending the data to the VCR. Or, at least, not a difference that would matter in this instance.

Going direct from the capture device analog s-video output to the VCR input sounds like a great method.

recommended vcr+line tbc ---(Y/C)--> recommended frame tbc or "tbc-ish" ---(Y/C)--> capture

Tags
intensity pro, recording, vhs blanks