06-16-2024, 11:14 AM
Free Member

I recently got myself a fully restored and recapped AG-1980P, and it's working very well. But I have an issue with the TBC on some tapes, there's a section of the left side of the frame that is lagged for a frame. It's really distracting. Is this a common issue with the TBC? Is this something I could fix in Avisynth? I know I can turn it off and run it through the ES15, but it sucks that the TBC on the Panny has issues while the JVC's TBC didn't have any on this tape. This might be a common issue, a friend of mine who also has a 1980 has the same issue with some tapes. This doesn't happen with all tapes thankfully. Example attached.

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 ag1980 tbc error.mp4 (13.31 MB, 18 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-16-2024, 07:20 PM
Free Member

I see this also, on some tapes (<5%), across multiple AG-1980P machines. I didn't associate it with the TBC because I always keep the TBC turned ON, but that makes sense.
06-17-2024, 06:55 AM
Premium Member

You need to deinterlace your video during encoding.

I took the liberty of re-encoding your video by applying a de-interlacing interpolation.

The result is a smoother framerate, from 29.970 FPS to 59.940 FPS. See attached video

(Sorry for the poor translation. I use DeppL to translate from French to English) ;-)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ripbot.jpg (52.8 KB, 4 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: mkv ag1980 tbc error.correction.mkv (30.82 MB, 7 downloads)

Last edited by qwertz73; 06-17-2024 at 07:09 AM.
06-17-2024, 07:10 AM
Free Member

What was your full capture chain and what did you do in terms of post processing on the original to arrive at the provided sample?

The fact that the JVC doesn't do seems to say something, but at the same time, I don't think you can call it a frame or field lag per se since it's not like the prior image stays stuck when the rest changes. It's almost like the maybe there's a single vertical line shift down on that left part of the imageif I'm looking at the right thing?

VerticalDownShift.jpg

It's also kind of interesting that the entire bar of "head switching noise" at the bottom is scooted over to the right by the same amount.

I'm pretty sure the top line is supposed to be a "partial 3/4 width line" or at least that's what I usually see coming off of the AG1980 if capturing all 486 vertical lines using something like an SDI capture card. If your line started "sooner", I could see it throwing the rest of the lines off by a partial amount maybe? Just a theory though. Here's an example of the partial top line that I get using an SDI capture card:

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

If you have a tape you could send me that does this (that you've already captured), I can verify if it's your AG1980 or if they all are going to do that since I have access to 10 AG1980's or so that I can try it out on and report back. PM me if you want to send me a tape to try.

06-17-2024, 10:11 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramkolt View Post
What was your full capture chain and what did you do in terms of post processing on the original to arrive at the provided sample?
VCR - S-Video -> Datavideo TBC-3000 - S-Video -> IO-Data GV-USB2. I used Virtualdub for capture to lossless huffyuv. Since I couldn't fit a raw sample as an attachment, I transcoded it to an interlaced x264 file. No post processing has been done.

Quote:
The fact that the JVC doesn't do seems to say something, but at the same time, I don't think you can call it a frame or field lag per se since it's not like the prior image stays stuck when the rest changes. It's almost like the maybe there's a single vertical line shift down on that left part of the imageif I'm looking at the right thing?
Yeah, I'm not sure what to call it. I think you explained it pretty well.

Quote:
If you have a tape you could send me that does this (that you've already captured), I can verify if it's your AG1980 or if they all are going to do that since I have access to 10 AG1980's or so that I can try it out on and report back. PM me if you want to send me a tape to try.
I'll definitely consider. I have a few more tapes that exhibit the same issue, so it's not just this one tape.