Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Free Member

I have acquired a JVC HR-S9700 (PAL) VCR.

I want to get the parts to make sure if she breaks I can have it fixed. I have around 700 PAL tapes and even though I have a few extra PAL VCRs, this one is the one I want to do all of my capturing with.

What do you suggest I get? An extra drum or two? Anything else?

Also, where would I find the parts for a European machine? Could I order them from JVC USA even though it is a European VCR?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Thinking ahead ... very wise move!

This would have been a very different conversation 10 years ago.

When it comes to VCRs, the only thing that really gives out over time are the rubber belts and the pinch rollers. The lube inside starts to turn to sludge after a decade or two, also.

When it comes to wear on a VCR (or computers, or any number of electronic/computer devices), a lot of it is actually user-induced death of the equipment.
  • Are you a smoker? If so, you can pretty much plan to throw the equipment away in 1-3 years. It will be ruined from the mixture of chemicals given off by the tobacco stick, and what's natively in the air.
  • Is it dusty? By this, I refer to the desert, where there is airborn particles.
  • Is it humid? If so, then expect dust to start sticking to the machines. It will need to be scraped off every once in a while.
  • Is it climate controlled? Severe heat and cold will harm the equipment.
  • Do you plan to clean it out (blow it out with canned air "duster") on a 6-month basis? Or will it just sit there uncared for?
  • Will you be running the VCR non-stops 24/7/365, or just as needed? Maybe 365 tapes per year? (One per day, at most.)
As dust is dragged across the capstan, rollers, heads, etc -- that's where damaged happens.

This is aside from the damage caused by tapes, be it oxides shedding, or the abrasions of simply dragging a mylar/polyester film across the ferrite heads. This kind of wear takes time -- more than damage by dust/debris.

How many heads would I suggest?
  • If you are a non-smoker is a normal environment relatively free of excess humidity/dust, plan to maintain the machines every few months, and are a light to medium user, you may not need any heads at all. You can buy one if you just need to feel extra safe.
  • If you're a chain smoker living in a beach condo in Arizona, planning to run at least 3-4 tapes per day, you'd better buy a box of heads (or more), maybe even a few extra machines!
  • If you're in between, then act accordingly.
Years and years ago (1990s), stuff was hard to find. It was all overpriced, controlled by broadcasters and VCR shops. These days, 2000s, you have eBay and craigslist and others -- there's no shortage of "for parts" (or even "like new") VCRs of similar make/model.

What is used here is all backed up with not just parts, but whole extra VCRs. In some cases, the older now-broken VCRs are kept in a closet for parts. Some of them are modular, such as JVC S-VHS machines -- many of them share parts across models. Pieces out of the 3800 fit into the more expensive 9800 (or 9600 or 9900). Not all parts, but some.

eBay is a good place to look for spare parts, especially the "for parts, as is" machines. Victor Japan (JVC Japan) may be good, as well as JVC USA -- maybe even try local VCR shops. Ask broadcaster engineers in your area, local TV station operators. JVC Germany, maybe, as that's where UK PAL machines are built.

Portions of my JVC HR-S7965EK UK PAL (made in Germany) machine look the same as an inexpensive JVC HR-S3800U USA NTSC machine. I quickly looked through the front door at the rubber bands, rollers, capstan.

I just pulled out an old family VCR from 1981 yesterday. It works fine. It's kept because of it's fully manual tracking controls.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
11-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Free Member

Hello again!

*I smoke, but not in the home.
*I live in south Texas, so not really dusty and not really humid.
*The unit has been in a climate controlled storage unit since purchase and will find a place in my new house in a climate controlled room in the upcoming months.
*Well, sure I'll clean it out with a compressed air duster! (Now that you mention it, lol) Thx, btw.
*I will unplug the VCR when not in use. Plug it in when used. 400 tapes/year sounds about right.

~note~ This VCR is used. I bought it from a gentleman in Germany. I have not even plugged it in since purchase. The unit looks perfect externally, he had 100% feedback and was the original owner saying it was rarely used. I know that doesn't go a long way (it is ebay, I know), but a heads up, nevertheless.

It looks like, from your post, that I might want to get an extra drum. I also have a brand new JVC HR-S6970 that I can pull parts from.

It also sounds like that air-cleaner thing Sharper Image would sell, that has a metal bar that attracts the dust particles, would be a pretty good investment.

Sound advice. Mucho appreciationo.
11-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Free Member

A word of advice about compressed air - keep it off from the areas that have grease. Blowing up lubricants to the tape path, not something you want.

From my own drum-hunt it seems to be cheaper to just buy new/mint VCR than only the heads as spare parts. Atleast from the places I've found with the required part in stock.

I have JVC D-VHS HM-DR10000EU, S-VHS HR-S9600EU's and S-VHS HR-S7965EU and sadly none of the drums are interchangeable. IIRC EU and USA versions of the same model share same drum tho.
The following users thank juhok for this useful post: Kenneth M (12-06-2009)
11-29-2009, 07:08 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Those "air cleaner" devices, like the ones sold at the now-bankrupt Sharper Image, emit ozone. It's not good for your health, and I don't know how it interacts with electronics. Be wary. In a smoking home, however, such a device may be the lesser of evils.

When you smoke outside, you can drag it back in with you. It may sound like overkill -- and smokers never like hearing it -- but it's often wise to completely change clothes before sitting in the office for long periods. The particles are on your clothes and hair, and they come off and still get circulated. It's not as bad as smoking in the room, but it's still not good. Another option is to wear an old-fashioned smoking jacket while smoking, and a hat -- take them off before going back to the room with the VCRs/tapes/computers.

I've lived in South Texas -- it's mildly humid. You don't fully realize it until you leave for several years, and then go back for a visit. Small dehumidifiers would be wise during the summer, the little personal ones for one-room sizes. Something small and quiet. Your tapes are most affected by the humidity.

Tapes also prefer 60 degrees F over 70-80 degrees. I'm not suggesting you keep the house/office like an igloo, but I would suggested keeping them stored in the coolest room in the home or office. Don't store them against an outer wall, for example, where the sun shines for 8 hours a day.

Unplug the VCR if it will be unused for more than a week or two. Plugging/unplugging is not good for the power supply, it can blow/short eventually. I keep the main decks plugged in at all times (except vacations), and everything else unplugged until needed. Same for computers, TBCs/filters and DVD recorders.

Indeed, keep compressed air off lubed areas. Be VERY CAREFUL to not let the liquid coolant spew out of the can onto the electronics -- the drum heads especially! You must keep the can level at all times, it cannot be turned sideways. Move the VCR if you need an odd blowing angle, not the can.

Extra VCRs are the best for parts -- or just as backups altogether. It's not much different than cars, where the parts alone can cost more than whole cars (or a few parts can equal the whole car cost, for a similar used model).

The VCR may be fine, it may be bad -- eBay can be a gamble. Good luck, I hope it works great for you.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: Kenneth M (12-06-2009)
12-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Free Member

Thank you again, gentlemen. I very much appreciate your advise. I will keep on the lookout for a couple of other 9700s. Hopefully I can grab an extra one or two!